[TechPowerUp] [Updated] Der8auer: Only Small Percentage of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs Hit Their Advertised Speeds - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechPowerUp] [Updated] Der8auer: Only Small Percentage of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs Hit Their Advertised Speeds

post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 893 (Unique: 502)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
By missing the target single core boost by 2~3%?

You should read out loud what you type because it is honestly hilarious.

I meant legally speaking. From what it seems in the US there are plenty of people willing to file class action lawsuits for all sorts of things, including false advertising. Hence why I also mentioned in the post before the 5 Ghz in the Ryzen Pro video that they've since set to private after articles came out pointing it out. And of course, this is all following the recent news of them settling the Bulldozer 'core' case.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 219 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
There was a similar problem with Bulldozer that was just about how things were worded in their specs, and AMD was sued for that. AMD lost that Bulldozer lawsuit recently. They'll be sued again for this new problem, and they'll lose again.

This whole new problem was completely avoidable. It's just about words. They should have just put safe numbers into the specs that are a bunch of 100MHz below of what the average CPU can boost.

The actual CPUs are great, they are the best choice for most use-cases. There really was no reason for them to artificially create this problem for themselves.
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
I meant legally speaking. From what it seems in the US there are plenty of people willing to file class action lawsuits for all sorts of things, including false advertising. Hence why I also mentioned in the post before the 5 Ghz in the Ryzen Pro video that they've since set to private after articles came out pointing it out. And of course, this is all following the recent news of them settling the Bulldozer 'core' case.
I this ends up in a class action lawsuit it will be fun seeing how people parade for forensics on their PCs.

What if a firmware update fixes it? What if it is a Windows problem? What if it is a software problem?

I don't know. It seems like a rough launch problem to me. A petty one to boot.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter

Last edited by Imouto; 09-02-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:09 PM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 306 (Unique: 216)
Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
There was a similar problem with Bulldozer that was just about how things were worded in their specs, and AMD was sued for that. AMD lost that Bulldozer lawsuit recently. They'll be sued again for this new problem, and they'll lose again.

This whole new problem was completely avoidable. It's just about words. They should have just put safe numbers into the specs that are a bunch of 100MHz below of what the average CPU can boost.

The actual CPUs are great, they are the best choice for most use-cases. There really was no reason for them to artificially create this problem for themselves.
A settlement is not a loss. It is a statement that they would like to pay their way out of the fight rather than continue it. It's the "I'm going to pay you $100 to -OCN bad word- off" meme.

The being said, this one is not as ambiguous. AMD needs to be very careful, because they gave actual hard numbers. While using software to poll clocks in "real" time is useless, that does not make it impossible to check.

Forge
(18 items)
Forge-LT
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X399 Designare
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (4x8GB 3200Mhz 14-14-14)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
EK Predator 240
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-5
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Motherboard
UX501JW-UB71T
GPU
GTX 960m
RAM
16GB 1600 9-9-9-27
Hard Drive
512GB PCI-e SSD
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
4k IPS
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
I this ends up in a class action lawsuit it will be fun seeing how people parade for forensics on their PCs.

What if a firmware update fixes it? What if it is a Windows problem? What if it is a software problem?

I don't know. It seems like a rough launch problem to me. A petty one to boot.
While I agree with you, I think it best for any business to reduce opportunity for negative publicity. AMD could have reduced the advertised numbers and let the reviews speak ONLY of the great performance. I hope these chips are capable or their advertised speeds....my 3700x has hit 4.4 without pbo or manual oc.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die."
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 454 (Unique: 386)
With the amount here that seem to be fine with this wee should prolly change the forum name to underclock.net?

post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 863 (Unique: 631)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
With the amount here that seem to be fine with this wee should prolly change the forum name to underclock.net?
Ever since some of us moved from Agesa 1002 (read some boards dont even have this) and cant see the ad boost, we have resorted to an all core oc. Before, at stock, only two cores on my 3600 see 4200MHz. Now, luckily, i can set 4300MHz to bench. I use 4200 all core for everyday use.

2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 250 (Unique: 200)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
early AGESA allowed advertised boost clocks, later AGESA doesn't ... so blame AMD? don't really follow.

My 9900K is advertised as a "5.0 boost" CPU but nothing ever will let it boost to 5.0 since nothing loads one core only. The only time it hits 5.0 on any core is for milliseconds while basically idle.
I've not got a 3rd gen Ryzen yet (likely when the 3950X is released) but similar tale on one work machine with a 9900K. Running Linux so it's not just a Windows thing... I think I've seen it hit 5GHz once. I've never seen it hit 5GHz on any AVX-type workload. It never hits its maximum all-core boost, either (being 4.7GHz officially, I see 4.5-4.6 under sustained all-core load) with a Noctua D15S and a pair of Noctua fans on it in a room maintained at 20*C ambient. A 2700X with the same cooler on (in the same room) spends basically its whole life at 4.2-4.25GHz, all cores loaded, which is above quoted max all-core boost clock. That will be due to whatever Asus set as defaults in the X470 PRIME BIOS, because I've gone in their once, to set the boot disk and remove the BIOS splash screen.

Advertising by boost clocks does seem a little underhanded, considering that (for both AMD and Intel) it will be highly dependent on what cooler people are using. If no CPUs were hitting their advertised boost clocks, I'd be agreeing with people criticising AMD, but given the vast array of potential coolers and ambient conditions (not to mention tweaks on a per-model of motherboard or BIOS basis from the different manufacturers, this seems like a bit of a movable target. Someone with a large cooler living in a cold area will get much better results than someone with the stock cooler living in a hot and/or humid area.

Hm. When I get a 3rd gen, I'll take the box into work and hammer it for a while to see what it does.

post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:55 AM
Tank destroyer and a god

Rep: 85 (Unique: 66)
Hm.

When I purchased my Threadripper 1900X i expected it to work perfectly on stock settings. In reality, CPU was getting highest frequencies on low load/idle, while on high load scenarios frequencies continually dropped. Most of time the CPU was overvolted, producing incredible heat and drawing a lot of watts for no good reason...

My solution was to set it to fixed frequency of 4000MHz on all cores, without any boosts, and setting fixed voltage. What followed was set of stress tests to prove that system is rock-solid stable, while i tuned stats of the system until there were no trouble at all.

I do not expect that the behavior of the Ryzen cores changed in any way, so when they advertised 4,7ghz and it would be achievable only on idle scenarios, i really dont see any real impact on performance.

But to be more specific... What is the frequency which is being upper limit?

--- Building in progress * AMD Threadripper 1900x * Asrock X399M Taichi * Radeon VII * Gskill Xflare / Samsung B-die 3200 14-14-14-32 * Samsung 970 PRO 512gb * Fractal Design Node 804 * Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium *
--- Desktop * AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3,8GHz * ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 * Gigabyte R9 FuryX * A-Data XPG 2.0 / Elpida Hyper MNH 1866 @ 1600 6-6-6-18 * LSI 9211-8i / Raid 0 / 5x Corsair Force 3 GS * Creative Xfi Fatal1ty * Intel I210-T1 * Steelseries 6Gv2 * Logitech MX518 * Samsung U28E590D *
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
My 3900x has gone as far as 4.75Ghz single core, with PBO and auto boost on full water. I'm not complaining, it destroys any task it comes past.

Martian Horiz(e)n
(12 items)
The Leftover(s)
(18 items)
CPU
R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
GPU
Galax 1080ti FE
RAM
G Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 - CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Power Supply
Superflower Leadex 750 Gold
Cooling
EK blocks, rads, pump/res - Barrow fittings, petg tubing.
Case
In win 509
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 34uc88-b
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB - MX brown
Mouse
Corsair M65 RGB
CPU
Motherboard
AsRock Z77 Extreme 6
GPU
Vega 56
RAM
Kingston Hyper X DDR3
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Hard Drive
Samsung Qvo
Power Supply
CoolerMaster V1000
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Cooling
EK Duraclear
Cooling
Barrow compression fittings
Cooling
360 Radiator HWLabs Nemesis GT360
Cooling
Deepcool RF120M x 6 RGB fans
Case
Deepcool Matrox 500
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
Viewsonic 3440x1440 curved
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Corsair M65
Audio
Aune T1SE DAC
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This is one of many reasons why I returned the pre-built 3700x I bought roughly 2 months ago. Unsafe voltage requirements yet the chips still don't reach advertised out-of-the-box speeds. crappy chips imo. Ended up going to intel/nvidia and spending double on my dream system. Well worth it. AMD is definitely going to get sued over this, justifiably so. If I had to guess what their business strategy is, I wouldn't be surprised if it is "Do whatever we have to do to get money now, pay out for lawsuits later". They just need to keep getting sued until they learn a lesson. Glad i'm not an investor because that's a crappy approach to managing a brand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in