[Nvidia]LG’s Big-Screen 4K OLED TVs First To Be Validated For Superior G-SYNC Compatible Gaming - Page 16 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Nvidia]LG’s Big-Screen 4K OLED TVs First To Be Validated For Superior G-SYNC Compatible Gaming

post #151 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by degenn View Post
Yeah they need to get their arses in gear. We're already 1/3 the way through October.
Ill put a bet now that it will release along side the new CoD at the end of the month. Though I hope I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 93 (Unique: 80)
Quote: Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
I've always said "OLED is something you have to experience in person to understand what you're missing, and once you experience it, you won't be happy with anything else".

OLED 4K 120Hz is something else entirely. It's next level compared to anything else we've had prior. Gaming is a completely different experience, you'll want to go back and replay all your games to re-experience them.

I wouldn't trade my 77C9 for anything. I just wish LG would hurry up with GSYNC/VRR firmware, wish they'd give a better deadline than "sometime this month". I cannot wait to kick VSYNC to the curb forever.
Yep, I have not enjoyed gaming in a long while. LCDs never satisfied me and my FW900 is on its last legs. I knew the potential of OLED in my C7&9s, however, 60hz limitations / vsync always ruined it for me.

My backlog is so huge, I don't even know what to do with myself! I played several hours of BF4 last night and was giggling like a school girl the entire time...4k120VRR OLED is the cats MEEEEEOOOOOWWWWWW!

Yeah like a really bad song on the radio that the station keeps repeating and repeating.
In time you find yourself tapping your foot and singing along.
It's like being programed.
post #153 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
I am running [email protected] 4:4:4 HDR in games just fine on my C9. I also successfully tested [email protected] 4:4:4 HDR, and as soon as we get HDMI 2.1 GPUs, [email protected] 4:4:4 HDR should be possible. I am also using [email protected] HDR with MadVR for 4K BD HDR10 Remuxes without any issues.

Not only can it do 4K/60hz 4:4:4, it will be able to do 4K/120hz 4:4:4 with a future HDMI 2.1 GPU. Right now it can do 1440p120hz 4:4:4 if you make a custom resolution in CRU. You cannot do [email protected] 4:2:0 yet, it will likely come when we get HDMI 2.1 firmware update and *should* be possible on current HDMI 2.0 cards in theory.

If you can afford the 55" C9, you'd be dumb to buy any other display on the market right now IMO. Maybe I am biased, but I am loving my 77" C9. It's very future proof.
Hey, thank you so much for the response! Decided on the C9!

1. Will the included HDMI cable be good enough for 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR gaming?
2. What HT speaker system do you recommend I look into? I'm fairly new to HTs, but I understand Atmos is important?
3. Can you recommend where I should look for inspiration on how to set up the TV, speakers, PS4, PC, UPS etc for the best setup my room can possibly have?

Thank you very much!

Who cares what they say about "overkill" on 1080P monitors. If min. frames rates are anywhere less than 60FPS at max settings, it's not overkill! biggrin.gif - i7monkey

Helpful threads and people (Click to show)
1. Consult and post in OCN's Most Recommended Audio Products for help with audio products
2. Consult and post in Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide for help with overclocking your Ivy CPU
3. Contact Adam Simmons of PCMonitors for advice on monitors
4. Contact OccamRazor for advice on GPUs
5. Contact Shilka for advice on PSUs
6. Contact DaveLT for advice on air-cooling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 81 (Unique: 67)
I've always said "OLED is something you have to experience in person to understand what you're missing, and once you experience it, you won't be happy with anything else".

OLED 4K 120Hz is something else entirely. It's next level compared to anything else we've had prior. Gaming is a completely different experience, you'll want to go back and replay all your games to re-experience them.

I wouldn't trade my 77C9 for anything. I just wish LG would hurry up with GSYNC/VRR firmware, wish they'd give a better deadline than "sometime this month". I cannot wait to kick VSYNC to the curb forever.
I honestly always thought that way, but going from a 55C6P to a 65 UH8500 (IPS with Edge-lit dimming ) honestly hasn't been that bad (been ~4 months since I got the UH, C6 is still being used). Could I have gotten something better? Sure, but 1080p 3D > 4K HDR (to me). Probably going to have to wait for projectors to get 4K+120hz before I upgrade my TV (since they seem to be slow to stop supporting 3D)...

Quote: Originally Posted by l88bastar View Post
Yep, I have not enjoyed gaming in a long while. LCDs never satisfied me and my FW900 is on its last legs. I knew the potential of OLED in my C7&9s, however, 60hz limitations / vsync always ruined it for me.

My backlog is so huge, I don't even know what to do with myself! I played several hours of BF4 last night and was giggling like a school girl the entire time...4k120VRR OLED is the cats MEEEEEOOOOOWWWWWW!
Still bothers me that LG didn't enable 4:2:0 120hz 4K on the C9, which is possible with HDMI 2.0b... Would have made the choice to find a used UH8500 a lot harder. If only power regulations/constraints didn't kill Plasma; still my favorite TV tech. A 3D, 4K, 120hz Plasma would have been amazing!

Quote: Originally Posted by ahnafakeef View Post
Hey, thank you so much for the response! Decided on the C9!

1. Will the included HDMI cable be good enough for 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR gaming?
2. What HT speaker system do you recommend I look into? I'm fairly new to HTs, but I understand Atmos is important?
3. Can you recommend where I should look for inspiration on how to set up the TV, speakers, PS4, PC, UPS etc for the best setup my room can possibly have?

Thank you very much!
1. I don't remember it (well, not the C9 specifically, but every TV I've purchased [too many ] coming with an HDMI cable. I've had good luck with monoprice cables (just make sure they are 18gbps cables), should be ~$5 for 6'.

2. I assume you mean discrete speakers and not a sound bad? (I'm biased against soundbars, so hopefully someone else can help you if that is what you were looking for!) This is going to be super OT, but 100% depends on your budget.
Spoiler!

3. AVSforum is a great place to look for things more TV/Audio centered (definitely use adblock there, they use the same platform as OCN and the ads are pretty crazy IMO [they even inject ads into pictures... [looking at you MartySub thread]).

4. Not that you asked, but honestly, if 120hz is high on your list of features, I'd probably wait for that update to come out before buying a C9. From everything I have seen, the GSYNC support update does not include 120hz. It just allows nV cards to use the HDMI-Forums HDMI2.1 VRR feature.
post #155 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
1. I don't remember it (well, not the C9 specifically, but every TV I've purchased [too many ] coming with an HDMI cable. I've had good luck with monoprice cables (just make sure they are 18gbps cables), should be ~$5 for 6'.

2. I assume you mean discrete speakers and not a sound bad? (I'm biased against soundbars, so hopefully someone else can help you if that is what you were looking for!) This is going to be super OT, but 100% depends on your budget.
Spoiler!

3. AVSforum is a great place to look for things more TV/Audio centered (definitely use adblock there, they use the same platform as OCN and the ads are pretty crazy IMO [they even inject ads into pictures... [looking at you MartySub thread]).

4. Not that you asked, but honestly, if 120hz is high on your list of features, I'd probably wait for that update to come out before buying a C9. From everything I have seen, the GSYNC support update does not include 120hz. It just allows nV cards to use the HDMI-Forums HDMI2.1 VRR feature.
1. Just checked. The TV doesn't come with a cable (at least according to the US site). So I don't expect mine to come with one either. But it's surprising that they don't include cables anymore.

2. I don't want to get a soundbar, but my knowledge of home theater audio is next to none. So I'd need to read up a lot before I can even understand things like a) why an AVR is indispensable despite running the system off of a PC, b) how different kinds of speakers act in a system etc. I'm planning on sticking to my BT headphones for now until I've done some research. There are Sony and Samsung HT systems available that should essentially be a plug-and-play solution, but again, I don't know if they're even worth their price tag yet.

4. But it's not supposed to be able to do 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 HDR right now anyway, right? It would require an HDMI 2.1 source to be able to do that. Do correct me if I'm wrong though. Because I'm happy with 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR for now, since a 2080Ti couldn't drive 120Hz at maximum settings anyway. But the C9 is a more long-term component that I plan on utilising for 4K 120Hz HDR gaming with Ampere cards in SLI (or is it NVLink nowadays?).

Thank you!

Who cares what they say about "overkill" on 1080P monitors. If min. frames rates are anywhere less than 60FPS at max settings, it's not overkill! biggrin.gif - i7monkey

Helpful threads and people (Click to show)
1. Consult and post in OCN's Most Recommended Audio Products for help with audio products
2. Consult and post in Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide for help with overclocking your Ivy CPU
3. Contact Adam Simmons of PCMonitors for advice on monitors
4. Contact OccamRazor for advice on GPUs
5. Contact Shilka for advice on PSUs
6. Contact DaveLT for advice on air-cooling
post #156 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ahnafakeef View Post
1. Just checked. The TV doesn't come with a cable (at least according to the US site). So I don't expect mine to come with one either. But it's surprising that they don't include cables anymore.

2. I don't want to get a soundbar, but my knowledge of home theater audio is next to none. So I'd need to read up a lot before I can even understand things like a) why an AVR is indispensable despite running the system off of a PC, b) how different kinds of speakers act in a system etc. I'm planning on sticking to my BT headphones for now until I've done some research. There are Sony and Samsung HT systems available that should essentially be a plug-and-play solution, but again, I don't know if they're even worth their price tag yet.

4. But it's not supposed to be able to do 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 HDR right now anyway, right? It would require an HDMI 2.1 source to be able to do that. Do correct me if I'm wrong though. Because I'm happy with 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR for now, since a 2080Ti couldn't drive 120Hz at maximum settings anyway. But the C9 is a more long-term component that I plan on utilising for 4K 120Hz HDR gaming with Ampere cards in SLI (or is it NVLink nowadays?).

Thank you!
Sorry for the late reply.

1) Those margins though!

2) 110% recommend going through AVSforum for some research. Lots of great information there! AVR decodes the speaker 'signals' that whatever your content is encoded in. AVRs are usually cheaper than getting a (proper) amplifier (a seven channel amp is a few $100 more than a decent enough 7 channel AVR [generally speaking]). If you only wanted sound to come from your PC (and you had 7.1 analog outputs), you wouldn't need an AVR, just one amp per channel. I don't think you can get atmos that way tho. BT might be a little 'laggy' for HT, but try it out!

4) I just don't trust that it isn't out already (the firmware). TV manus seem to do anything they can to sell new models, so I personally would wait for the function to be present before buying.

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 10-13-2019 at 04:36 PM.
post #157 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
I'm on a C7 right now, strategy is to wait for CES in January to see what the C10s will offer, then most likely get a 55" C9 for $1500 or less when they go on more aggressive sales in February to clear inventory before the new TVs hit the shelves in March and April. I did the same for the C7, bought it after the 8 series were revealed for $1200 vs paying twice that for the newer model with minor improvements.

post #158 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post
I'm on a C7 right now, strategy is to wait for CES in January to see what the C10s will offer, then most likely get a 55" C9 for $1500 or less when they go on more aggressive sales in February to clear inventory before the new TVs hit the shelves in March and April. I did the same for the C7, bought it after the 8 series were revealed for $1200 vs paying twice that for the newer model with minor improvements.
This is mostly how I feel too (got my C6 after the C7s came out). I know most people will say something like, "but if you wait for the next one, aren't you going to wait for the next, next one then?" But for these OLEDs, the prices will only get cheaper and cheaper as soon as the 10.5G fabs start maximizing yields. Should finally drop those 65" prices to something my cheap self is willing to afford.

Hopefully by the time the 10 series is announced/released, the 9 series will have 4k120hz support.
post #159 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
This is mostly how I feel too (got my C6 after the C7s came out). I know most people will say something like, "but if you wait for the next one, aren't you going to wait for the next, next one then?" But for these OLEDs, the prices will only get cheaper and cheaper as soon as the 10.5G fabs start maximizing yields. Should finally drop those 65" prices to something my cheap self is willing to afford.

Hopefully by the time the 10 series is announced/released, the 9 series will have 4k120hz support.
The 9 series already has 4k120Hz support, but there is no GPU that will output that signal over HDMI. If the 2080 Ti had 48gbps HDMI 2.1 then we all would've been on 4k120Hz OLED since early this year.

Z370
(16 items)
X570
(13 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Msi Z370-A Pro
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Cooler Master H500P
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus XG248Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
AKG K7XX
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP Combo
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Asus X570 Strix-F
GPU
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX 860i
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Monitor
Acer X27
Keyboard
Ducky One MX Green
Mouse
Logitech G502 Wireless
Audio
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP
▲ hide details ▲
post #160 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 93)
Quote: Originally Posted by l88bastar View Post
I got a AW5520QF and 4k120 VRR on it is............................ I N C R E D I B L E!
High refresh rate OLED is a freaking animal!
Noice!

The only thing that scares me about that display is 55" - seems way too large to be used on a desk as a PC monitor. My 4K OLED (only 60hz) is 30" and it's the perfect size for a desk IMO.

Is the 4K 120Hz run through one DP 1.4 cable?

Also, the monitor does not have any HDR correct? Or G-Sync?

I can vouch for OLED being the best display ever - I have loved the 4K OLED 30" since April 2017 when I got it - still is amazing to this day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in