[The Verge] Apple’s most expensive Mac Pro costs $52,599 - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[The Verge] Apple’s most expensive Mac Pro costs $52,599

post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 147 (Unique: 118)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
The reason has to do with the fact that in the base model there are a lot of things that increase the price. It's like getting TRX40 MB ~ $1000 and using 3900X.
Yeah, I considered that too. But what exactly is in the base model that increases the price that much?

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:53 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 648 (Unique: 349)
what tasks benefit from 1.5 TB of RAM? Where is that beneficial? I must be reading that post wrong...

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 77)
Ultra Ultra Ultra HD Pr0n?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

ohhh, its the pimax 8k VR prons tier machine, got it.

n why the hell does my keyboard keep double stroking keys.

Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 07:49 AM
I dunno what I'm doing.

Rep: 64 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
n why the hell does my keyboard keep double stroking keys.
There are so many directions I could go with this, but I'll just take the PG route and suggest it needs cleaned.

Back on topic: price is silly for us, but companies that are gonna drop 60k per machine are the ones clearing eye-popping amounts of money each quarter, it won't be a big impact. I'm still on the fence about the looks, though. When the G5 was released all those years ago, I instantly knew I was gonna mod one for regular parts eventually, it just had an elegant simplicity around it. This new one seems awkward and oddly busy for a modern Apple.

EDIT: I had to change my statement to specify modern Apples, I still remember when Apple had fun with wild colors and rounded shapes.

It is what it is.
ATX PowerMac
(14 items)
CPU
i7-8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Taichi Z390
GPU
GTX-1080Ti
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Adata XPG SX8200
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 7200RPM
Power Supply
Corsair RM650x
Case
Apple PowerMac G5
Monitor
Dell Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Glorious GMMK TKL
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Audio
Creative X7
▲ hide details ▲
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:00 AM
LTSC Consiglieri

i think its something with my chrome profile actually, as it persists across multiple systems and only happens in chrome.

post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 10:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
Movie/Sound/Animation Studios will LOVE this Mac Pro and the Pro XDR Displays. It is actually a bargain for them since time literally equals money for them so every second/minute saved in rendering, post-processing, encoding translates to more work getting done and hence more money for their companies.

Studios are not going to build "custom" PCs.

That's their target - not individual consumers.
They wouldn't build custom PCs, but plenty of OEM vendors sell to studios. If a major studio wants beefy setups, they're going to go with HP's Z8 or similar. Why be stuck with 28 cores when you can get 56 cores? Multiple NVME storage options, space for rust spinners, the better choice of an NVidia Quadro? The ability to connect to a NVidia render box? The only benefit Apple have here is if the studio uses their software and would require their fpga card.

post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 439 (Unique: 303)
Quote: Originally Posted by neurotix View Post
Good thing there's 3950x + Vega 64 x2... you can run OS X on Ryzen 3000 now. (Wonder if you can run it on an Epyc 7742...)
Of course whatever you propose will not even be remotely close to perform as fast as a mac pro for professional work. Especially in comparison to that maxed out.

That mac is not for you. I don't even understand why you are so hurt and angry about it.

Everyone who talks so much about how bad or horrible or misguided apple are with this mac, never owned a professional workstation in their life, never will, and are just jealous that they will never own one.
I bet when you see a top end car, you also start to laugh at the owner and how your regular person can is so much better.

post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 05:53 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 439 (Unique: 303)
Quote: Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post
They wouldn't build custom PCs, but plenty of OEM vendors sell to studios. If a major studio wants beefy setups, they're going to go with HP's Z8 or similar. Why be stuck with 28 cores when you can get 56 cores? Multiple NVME storage options, space for rust spinners, the better choice of an NVidia Quadro? The ability to connect to a NVidia render box? The only benefit Apple have here is if the studio uses their software and would require their fpga card.
A render box will not replace a local high end workstation. Especially when you need hundreds of people working on a movie. A quadro server will also cost a lot more. The DGX-1 cost 120K$. Customized ones will go for 400K$.

And the Z8 will cost more, so I have no idea what you are talking about. The fully spec 28 core z8 g4 similar to the fully spec mac pro will reach 65K$. And that is not even its final form, as it has less memory and no special card.
If you add 56 cores into the mix, the Z8 will cost 70K$. And that is down from 88K$ which is their original price.

Apple's mac pro is actually in the same range as OEM and other branded high end workstations. People just have no idea the actual prices and compare them to their 2000$ desktops.

post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 127 (Unique: 95)
^^True.. this Mac Pro (especially the maxed out one with 1.5TB of RAM) is NOT meant for even the "prosumer." It's a professional workstation meant for professionals - animation, audio, AI, data-science, scientists etc.

The problem is, previous Mac Pros have been targeted towards the prosumer market as well - those with relatively "high" budgets who want a great system in their homes/home-office.

I feel like they should create a separate segment for just professionals and have the Mac Pro in the prosumer segment where the workstations are about $15K maxed out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in