[The Verge] Apple’s most expensive Mac Pro costs $52,599 - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[The Verge] Apple’s most expensive Mac Pro costs $52,599

post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 874 (Unique: 637)
This is the cpu they are using that they are charging twice as much and it is barely faster than a 800$ one.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16819118010

Apple prolly got them when intel was selling them twice as much and now they are passing the buck to the dupedsumers.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:24 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 655 (Unique: 350)
like folks designing pixar movies, tier?

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
A render box will not replace a local high end workstation. Especially when you need hundreds of people working on a movie. A quadro server will also cost a lot more. The DGX-1 cost 120K$. Customized ones will go for 400K$.

And the Z8 will cost more, so I have no idea what you are talking about. The fully spec 28 core z8 g4 similar to the fully spec mac pro will reach 65K$. And that is not even its final form, as it has less memory and no special card.
If you add 56 cores into the mix, the Z8 will cost 70K$. And that is down from 88K$ which is their original price.

Apple's mac pro is actually in the same range as OEM and other branded high end workstations. People just have no idea the actual prices and compare them to their 2000$ desktops.
You're assuming a studio pays list price when they order several of these at once. Furthermore, I wasn't comparing the Z8 to the Mac Pro. I was stating the Z8 offers capacity for 2 processors. The Afterburner card is an fpga specific to prores codecs. ProRes is an Apple codec. And as far as I know, the card is only utilized when using Final Cut Pro X as of this post. A third party like Adobe or BMS would need to work with Apple to align their software with the card so that their software may utilize the card's functionality when working with ProRes codec video.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210748

DGX-1 is for AI. How would a film studio leverage a cluster made for deep learning? I'm very curious. The RTX render server works in conjunction with a local workstation and allows many to connect to it. You don't send video off to it. Render farms exist for a reason.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-...o-servers/rtx/

The Z8 may cost more, but it's certainly more usable and upgradeable without Apple's nonsense. And anyone who's relied on HP for high end business support knows they have same day or less repair or component swap. The only reason to go with the Mac Pro is if you're heavily reliant on the Apple environment and or you require use of Final Cut Pro X. Meanwhile, Premier, Resolve (paid version), Media Composer, et al. are available on Windows.

No where in my post did I suggest the Mac Pro should or could be compared to a $2,000 computer setup. Don't put words in my mouth or waste my time with your silliness.

Quote: Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
^^True.. this Mac Pro (especially the maxed out one with 1.5TB of RAM) is NOT meant for even the "prosumer." It's a professional workstation meant for professionals - animation, audio, AI, data-science, scientists etc.

The problem is, previous Mac Pros have been targeted towards the prosumer market as well - those with relatively "high" budgets who want a great system in their homes/home-office.

I feel like they should create a separate segment for just professionals and have the Mac Pro in the prosumer segment where the workstations are about $15K maxed out.
NVidia is the "leader" by one way or another in deep learning, AI and computer. Others including AMD are slowly gaining on them. Can you use these professional units from NVidia on a Mac Pro? These units can be scaled in size to a small server room or a whole building if you had the resources.

The ProSumer version of the Mac Pro is the iMac Pro.

Last edited by SwitchFX; 12-14-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:33 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 185 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post
NVidia is the "leader" by one way or another in deep learning, AI and computer. Others including AMD are slowly gaining on them. Can you use these professional units from NVidia on a Mac Pro?

Not on macOS since there aren't drivers for Mojave or Catalina. Plus nVidia announced CUDA 10.2 will be the last release for macOS. We use PlaidML framework on macOS: https://github.com/plaidml/plaidml

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz w/ .975v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
This is the cpu they are using that they are charging twice as much and it is barely faster than a 800$ one.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16819118010

Apple prolly got them when intel was selling them twice as much and now they are passing the buck to the dupedsumers.
Might be. Probably an Apple specific SKU that you won't find listed anywhere.

I think AMD really dropped the ball with TR and limiting it to 256 GB of RAM, and not necessarily ECC RDIMM either. Never mind limiting it to 4ch instead of going full 8ch DDR4. I suspect they'll drop their new TR3 socket after TR4 for a newer pin out to support everything new. Had they done those two things, along with more PCIe lanes, when designing the new socket and chipset, I suspect they would have had more people flock to their hardware if they were OS agnostic.

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Not on macOS since there aren't drivers for Mojave or Catalina. Plus nVidia announced CUDA 10.2 will be the last release for macOS. We use PlaidML framework on macOS: https://github.com/plaidml/plaidml
That's what I thought. The other user's posts implied Apple and NVidia worked on to allow that in the name of science but not consumer hardware and drivers. How's the performance of that at scale? NVidia's hardware use restrictions aren't great for the scientific community but everyone's gotta make a buck... even NVidia.

Last edited by SwitchFX; 12-14-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Zen

Rep: 51 (Unique: 33)
I think AMD really dropped the ball with TR and limiting it to 256 GB of RAM, and not necessarily ECC RDIMM either. Never mind limiting it to 4ch instead of going full 8ch DDR4. I suspect they'll drop their new TR3 socket after TR4 for a newer pin out to support everything new. Had they done those two things, along with more PCIe lanes, when designing the new socket and chipset, I suspect they would have had more people flock to their hardware if they were OS agnostic.
AMD probably doesn't want Threadripper cannibalizing potential EPYC sales.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 07:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Kpjoslee View Post
AMD probably doesn't want Threadripper cannibalizing potential EPYC sales.
Most of the 2nd gen Epyc lineup with the 7302 and lower are 16c and under $1,000. Epyc itself has lower base clocks and boost blocks. Your theory makes sense if it weren't that software still likes high core count and high clock speeds. Besides, if the RAM cutoff were 1 TB then you're not cutting into Epyc sales as a result of the aforementioned, or the fact that Epyc can address 4 TB on each socket.

TR is fairly cheap going by core count in the above model compared to Epyc. There's benefits to more memory channels as well as more PCIe lanes. If you don't offer it up for people who aren't going to drop $5-7K on an Epyc, then you're giving Intel your potential sales with their lower end Xeons, even if their product is bunk at this point. Granted, even a 2P 8280 setup is wasted money at this point.

Not trying to be rude. Just expressing frustration. Epyc isn't for me. TR makes sense for my use case and I can make do with what's been given but I'm going to wait until the next generation of processors from AMD coming in the summer. The reworked cache structure should give a boost to the later Threadripper 4 and I can purchase then in confidence. It being a new socket, I can pick up a 24 core then and upgrade the year after if I need more juice, but I doubt it.

Don't know how old you or anyone is here, but these days AMD makes it feel like the sweet spot in the 90s and 2000s when there was new stuff coming out all the time. Granted it's AMD running the show nowadays and not Intel. For older folks such as myself, it's a special time to be alive.

Last edited by SwitchFX; 12-14-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Victorious25 View Post
does it look like a cheese grater to anyone else?

For that price its a very bad cheese grater... You can buy one at the supermarket for 1/10000 the price and it will perform the job better.

https://sea.pcmag.com/news/35437/can...ixit-found-out

post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:16 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 130 (Unique: 85)
Hi,
I'll ask santa for two please

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 439 (Unique: 303)
You're assuming a studio pays list price when they order several of these at once. Furthermore, I wasn't comparing the Z8 to the Mac Pro. I was stating the Z8 offers capacity for 2 processors. The Afterburner card is an fpga specific to prores codecs. ProRes is an Apple codec. And as far as I know, the card is only utilized when using Final Cut Pro X as of this post. A third party like Adobe or BMS would need to work with Apple to align their software with the card so that their software may utilize the card's functionality when working with ProRes codec video.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210748

DGX-1 is for AI. How would a film studio leverage a cluster made for deep learning? I'm very curious. The RTX render server works in conjunction with a local workstation and allows many to connect to it. You don't send video off to it. Render farms exist for a reason.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-...o-servers/rtx/

The Z8 may cost more, but it's certainly more usable and upgradeable without Apple's nonsense. And anyone who's relied on HP for high end business support knows they have same day or less repair or component swap. The only reason to go with the Mac Pro is if you're heavily reliant on the Apple environment and or you require use of Final Cut Pro X. Meanwhile, Premier, Resolve (paid version), Media Composer, et al. are available on Windows.

No where in my post did I suggest the Mac Pro should or could be compared to a $2,000 computer setup. Don't put words in my mouth or waste my time with your silliness.

NVidia is the "leader" by one way or another in deep learning, AI and computer. Others including AMD are slowly gaining on them. Can you use these professional units from NVidia on a Mac Pro? These units can be scaled in size to a small server room or a whole building if you had the resources.

You did compare it to the Z8 else you wouldn't mention the z8. Also you attacked apple for the price but neglected to mention the price of the z8, let alone with a 56 core one.
Why is that? Why did you left out the price?
And if you claim that a studio won't pay the full price, but you make it sound like they will for the mac pro for some reason. Why is that?

And what claim the Z8 is more upgradeable, but is it? Will a studio actually upgrade them or just buy new ones? And why it is more upgradeable when its internals cost more than apple ones? How is that making any sense?
And how do you know it will cost less to repair? In what way? If they will have a service repair along with ordering the machines, just like they will do with apple, who cares about repair cost? Broken, send it back to apple for repair/replace.

And you do know there are other programs than final pro x right? And some people prefer the apple eco system more than windows. Especially since on top of their workstations, they won't need to pay ridiculous windows enterprise licensing.

And the afterburner is not only utilized in final cut. Apple offer that API to use it, and adobe stated that it will be supported, autocad, maya and a few more are also on their way to support it. Red, pixelmator, as well. It will not just boost apple's codecs, but others as well.

And DGX-1 is more than you think. Nvidia released OptiX 5.0 to work on rendering on the DGX-1. They are pushing that box anywhere they can.

You make a long of assumptions on one side, but you attack the other based on similar assumptions. Feels overly hypocritical to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in