[TheVerge] LG’s 2020 OLED TV introduces 48-inch size - Page 16 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TheVerge] LG’s 2020 OLED TV introduces 48-inch size

post #151 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 341 (Unique: 251)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
Why no one ever updated the Toslink spec is beyond me. You would think that being fiber optic we could go into the gigabit range easily, yet Toslink cant even reach 1mbit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 629 (Unique: 342)
ooooh

gaming with genuine quality sound seems nice. I suppose I should hold out on my surround solution until I get the screen in.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #153 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 90 (Unique: 72)
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick the Slick View Post
DD and DTS are both compressed. Their Uncompressed counterparts are DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Digital TrueHD. Everything else is correct though, regular ARC can't pass uncompressed 5.1 including LPCM. For DD and DTS it will default to the compressed form and for 5.1 LPCM it will only pass stereo. eARC is supposed to fix that.
Thanks for the correction!

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
ooooh

gaming with genuine quality sound seems nice. I suppose I should hold out on my surround solution until I get the screen in.
Definitely suggest (if your budget allows; by all means, it isn't mind blowing enough to 'overspend') 5.x.4 (5 base speakers, however many subs you want/need, and 4 atmos speakers) and an eACR receiver that supports it! Might be a tad expensive, but I think it does add a lot to the experience. FWIW, I've had better luck with Atmos gaming on the Xbox One X than I did with my PC. The built in processing to simulate Atmos isn't awful either! I have a Pioneer LX503 in a 5.2.4 setup and really enjoy it.

Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Why no one ever updated the Toslink spec is beyond me. You would think that being fiber optic we could go into the gigabit range easily, yet Toslink cant even reach 1mbit.
It's pretty goofy, but I think ARC 'killed' it by being built into HDMI (by only needing one cord for video and audio instead of separate cables). I do miss toslink as you never had to deal with ghost-displays and what not if you were using a receiver. *Shrug*

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 01-14-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 359)
Quote: Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
Yea those oval smudges...they are from my desktop icons. And yes only red would reveal them...Any other colors dont reveal the burn ins

Yes, I have the Screen shift turned on. Basically I play games in a window mode, so those desktop icons are always there. I guess I should have hide them if I knew they were gonna give me these burn ins so easily...
You played games in windowed mode so that you can view desktop icons whilst gaming? Sorry I am confused. Did you play games in a window and have other windows up on screen to do other tasks while gaming and the desktop icons happened to always be visible?

Yes unfortunately on an OLED you aren't suppose to keep the same image on screen for long periods week after week as stated in the owners manual.

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 16GB 4600 MHz
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG C9 OLED
post #155 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
Yea those oval smudges...they are from my desktop icons. And yes only red would reveal them...Any other colors dont reveal the burn ins

Yes, I have the Screen shift turned on. Basically I play games in a window mode, so those desktop icons are always there. I guess I should have hide them if I knew they were gonna give me these burn ins so easily...
As Vega said, static items are the first to go; red, then orange, then yellow are the first colors to go as well. This is why you see it on the red screens more than anything; the red burned out a bit and relative to "red, red" those icons look "off."

Blue (and white) should be the longest lasting sub-pixels; I try to reduce the amount of time anything red on my screen as much as possible.
post #156 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
Yes, the C9 does.

ARC is what it is called; eARC (an HDMI 2.1 feature, that is present in some HDMI 2.0 sets) is what you want if you want Atmos. Normal ARC only has the bandwidth for DD (I believe DD is the compressed 5.1 format and DTS is the uncompressed? I always forget). eARC has more bandwidth and can support more formats.

Nice, million dollar question would be does the receiver also require an eARC designated port or will any old HDMI input do? My receiver is an older Marantz 1403.

post #157 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Nice, million dollar question would be does the receiver also require an eARC designated port or will any old HDMI input do? My receiver is an older Marantz 1403.
They are backwards compatible, and your AVR supports normal-ARC, so it should work fine for you (only thing you would really be missing out on is DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD, which I don't think are really that much better than normal DTS/DD). Your AVR doesn't support Atmos/DTS:X, so that point would be moot. If you do want Atmos, I would 100% look for something with eARC just to make sure you should be future proofed.

Note: I have very limited experience with ARC other than the TV sending the audio back to the receiver for internal apps. I do not know if your console/computer will send a 5.1 signal to your TV (which your TV will then send to the AVR). I feel like using my UH8500, my desktop would only pass a stereo signal to the TV (since the TV's EDID does not allow for a 5.1 signal to be sent to it). Never tried with the PS4/Xbox as they were hooked up to the AVR directly.
post #158 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 32)
A friend of mine got a large 4k" TV that's doubling as a monitor and it's not bad, but you can tell the text isn't as clear as my PC monitor. Will these be any different?

post #159 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 192 (Unique: 129)
Is your friend using a mode of the TV that is subsampling the chroma? Most TVs subsample chroma unless they are in PC mode and subsampling chroma makes text look bad.

My C9 has good text when in PC mode, as good as a monitor with the same PPI.
post #160 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:13 AM
waiting for spring

Rep: 323 (Unique: 244)
I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Any news on anything 40' or under?

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
LEOPOLD FC980M / MAXKEY SA CHOCOLATE KEYSET
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in