[TheVerge] LG’s 2020 OLED TV introduces 48-inch size - Page 54 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TheVerge] LG’s 2020 OLED TV introduces 48-inch size

post #531 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 06:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
pretty sure extended warranty would've covered them though. I guess I should check that. if not, then I gotta scratch them off my list.

like I've been saying to people. OLED is the dream screen, they're disposable
I agree. Its still better solution than the 4k120 monitors. An 32inch 1000nit HDR10, Gsync/Freesync, 120mhz-144mhz, etc 4k120 monitor is going to cost 3000usd plus. That and the gaming variants aren't anywhere near production (though they have announced the monitor existence in trade shows).

The Ever Ongoing Build. 3950X. X570 Hero VIII, 32GB GSkill Trident Z 4000mhz, Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000Watt, 1TB 960 Pro, 1TB WD SN750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 736 (Unique: 388)
they'll exist overnight, after the consoles drop, but they'll definitely be stupidly expensive.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #533 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 02:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 348 (Unique: 257)
BestBuy website says these will be arriving mid to late July in the US. You can pre-order now if you want.

Edit: saw a post on reddit that apparently someone who ordered it from BB actually already got it. So maybe they are in the warehouses and just waiting for a "release day". You might get lucky and have one of the dumb employees ship yours out too early too.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 06-29-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #534 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 523 (Unique: 361)
Beach camera has them in stock. Ordered mine, they got 19 in. 2 left.

https://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product/LGOLED48CXPUA

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 4000 MHz Samsung B-Die
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG 48CX OLED / VR: Modified Vive Pro
post #535 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
Beach camera has them in stock. Ordered mine, they got 19 in. 2 left.
Thanks! Looks like I got the last one.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲

post #536 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 08:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 41)
I think I'm going to wait and see how good Vizio's OLED's end up being and if they are a match for LG's. $2000 MSRP for a 65" OLED is insane. $1,299.99 for the 55".

At the very least hopefully they will bring OLED's pricing down.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #537 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 05:39 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 291 (Unique: 210)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
I think I'm going to wait and see how good Vizio's OLED's end up being and if they are a match for LG's. $2000 MSRP for a 65" OLED is insane. $1,299.99 for the 55".

At the very least hopefully they will bring OLED's pricing down.
Yea I saw that. Considering that the LG B9 55" has been $1299 since earlier this year, the fact that Vizio is launching their OLED at the same price means they aren't playing around. It will be interesting to see if they are competitive from a processing perspective (We know the panel is good. It's the same ones LG and Sony are using.)

Also... just in case you guys want to see some glorious Titanfall 2 OLED contrast goodness. No way an LCD will EVER match this beauty. No backlight, no blooming, just perfect color and contrast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanfall2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	357766  

Last edited by Mad Pistol; 06-30-2020 at 05:44 PM.
post #538 of 556 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 138 (Unique: 88)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post
Yea I saw that. Considering that the LG B9 55" has been $1299 since earlier this year, the fact that Vizio is launching their OLED at the same price means they aren't playing around. It will be interesting to see if they are competitive from a processing perspective (We know the panel is good. It's the same ones LG and Sony are using.)

Also... just in case you guys want to see some glorious Titanfall 2 OLED contrast goodness. No way an LCD will EVER match this beauty. No backlight, no blooming, just perfect color and contrast.
The new Visio P-Series Quantum X TVs are 3000 Nits though, OLED will never match that level of "Punch". "Perfect Black" is important in some circumstances, but not all.
The biggest advantage of OLED is still pixel response.
post #539 of 556 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
The biggest advantage of OLED is still pixel response.
I strongly disagree. That it isn't important in all circumstances does not diminish the importance of perfect blacks. As someone who always views my display in a dark room perfect blacks are by far the biggest advantage of OLED. That glowing uneven black LCDs always have looks absolutely terrible when you can see it in.

If you are in a very brightly lit room your HDR image is not going to have as much punch no matter what your display does. Perfect blacks are very important in any situation where the viewer is trying to maximize image quality. Sure brighter is better in a bright room, and I would recommend a bright LCD for someone who always watches in a very brightly lit room, but it is still the perfect black that is the only important difference between the screens. Even this user will close the curtains and turn off the lights if they wanted to watch a favorite movie at the highest apparent quality, and then they would notice the higher blacks. For this same user the slower response times will always go unnoticed in any viewing situation. A good LCD is fast enough that most people cannot notice the difference, and some of the few that do prefer the slower response times because on OLEDs low frame rate video seems choppier without the slight blur caused by the slower response times.

The fast pixels are an advantage in my mind but compared to the perfect blacks they are almost not even worth mentioning.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲

post #540 of 556 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 138 (Unique: 88)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I strongly disagree. That it isn't important in all circumstances does not diminish the importance of perfect blacks. As someone who always views my display in a dark room perfect blacks are by far the biggest advantage of OLED. That glowing uneven black LCDs always have looks absolutely terrible when you can see it in.

If you are in a very brightly lit room your HDR image is not going to have as much punch no matter what your display does. Perfect blacks are very important in any situation where the viewer is trying to maximize image quality. Sure brighter is better in a bright room, and I would recommend a bright LCD for someone who always watches in a very brightly lit room, but it is still the perfect black that is the only important difference between the screens. Even this user will close the curtains and turn off the lights if they wanted to watch a favorite movie at the highest apparent quality, and then they would notice the higher blacks. For this same user the slower response times will always go unnoticed in any viewing situation. A good LCD is fast enough that most people cannot notice the difference, and some of the few that do prefer the slower response times because on OLEDs low frame rate video seems choppier without the slight blur caused by the slower response times.

The fast pixels are an advantage in my mind but compared to the perfect blacks they are almost not even worth mentioning.
If you're looking at a mid-day landscape OLED loses nearly all of its advantage, in many cases there will be no black pixels across the entire image.
Statically, LCD is wholly superior when the average brightness is above a certain level. Even if there are a few near black pixels, if the amount of dark content is too small it will still be inconsequential. These VA type QLED panels can reach very high native contrast, 6,000:1 is not difficult to find, enough to cover almost any change in pixel to pixel brightness, and the color volume with Quantum Dot adds a level of vibrance OLED inherently cannot match.
With the right content you could put IPS, VA and OLED side by side in a blind test and lot of people would be confused which is VA and which is OLED.

Last edited by ILoveHighDPI; 07-01-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in