[G3D] AMD Announces 64-core Ryzen Threadripper 3990X with 4.3 GHz Turbo at 3990 USD - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[G3D] AMD Announces 64-core Ryzen Threadripper 3990X with 4.3 GHz Turbo at 3990 USD

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 315 (Unique: 220)
Quote: Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post
Yes, but people forgot that / ignored it.

That is what a prosumer chip is. I can see this being used, but to me it feels more like a flex than anything else.

I'm not sure what it is with the obsession of comparing it to Intel's absolutely awful offerings. Outside of that narrow-focused comparison I really do think the workstation/prosumer chips have gotten the lines blurred with Enterprise offerings and pricing. They've all become extremely expensive.

I don't think the product is bad, I just feel like the lineups pricing is bad (irregardless of whatever Intel is doing at the moment).
I mean... OK? Has what you need or even want become stupidly expensive? I know GPUs have, what used to be a mid-size die going for several times their cost a few years ago, flagship values that continue to climb faster in cost than in performance...

But in the CPU space, I see better year over year perf/$ gains, perf/w gains, and features than the past significant history. I see chips that, while you are saying are expensive for prosumer, were previously unavailable to the prosumer, or at least could only be bought in their locked down server counterpart models.

The last time we had something like this was... What, the SR-2? A $570 motherboard with two $1670 CPUs if you wanted the best on the platform. Adjusted for inflation, that is $4,600. Funny enough, a 3990X and a TRX40 MB will run you... $4,600! And RAM is cheaper these days.

And it still cost less than it's 1P locked server counterpart.

I dunno, seems the segements we would care about are getting more affordable and the Halo products are raising higher. But the Halo products aren't really required anyway.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:09 PM
What should be here ?

Rep: 358 (Unique: 256)
Quote: Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post
I'm not sure what it is with the obsession of comparing it to Intel's absolutely awful offerings.
What woukd you consider fair comparison for this chip from Intel that isn't awful?

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:57 PM
What goes here?

Rep: 102 (Unique: 80)
I like it. I like it a lot. If I was still making bank like I did at my last job I'd buy one just for chips & giggles.

I wonder who will be the first to stuff one into an SFF build.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 439 (Unique: 303)
Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
Isn't the 7702P a 128 thread CPU? How is it worse in any regard than the W-3175X?
Slower clock speeds makes a big difference at the end result. Single core performance, the W-3175X has a big edge. So overall multi core performance they end up being the same basically.
It is like a sport car trying to drive fast over a bumpy off road vs a 4x4 jeep. It might be fast, but you are hindering it quite a bit.

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 30)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Zip the entire contents of a drive and screen shot the completion time for e-peen points should be the first thing on your list follwed by seeing how long a fully loaded turn on Civilization takes.

Anything else I can think of seems like it would be a hassle or require actually doing work, so you should probably stop there.
yeah work is for hosers

Raidmax Scorpio
(7 items)
INA
(19 items)
CPU
opteron 185
Motherboard
a8n sli deluxe
GPU
ati 5870 XFX
RAM
Kingston
Power Supply
Silverstone Zeus 650 watt
Case
Raidmax Scorpio
Operating System
Vista 64 Ultimate
CPU
xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
GPU
1080Ti Poseidon
GPU
1080Ti Poseidon
RAM
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL
Hard Drive
Sandisk SSD
Optical Drive
DVD WRITER
Optical Drive
BLU-RAY WRITER
Power Supply
SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3
Cooling
CUSTOM LOOP
Case
RAVEN 03
Operating System
windows 10 pro
Operating System
VISTA 64 ULTIMATE
Monitor
Philips BDM4065UC 40"
Keyboard
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK
Mouse
Utech Smart laser mouse
Mouse
CYBER SNIPA TRACER
Audio
ONBOARD
Other
Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2.5" HDD Mobile Rack Device (SCKMRK-5)
▲ hide details ▲
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:59 AM
mfw

Rep: 451 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
It is like a sport car trying to drive fast over a bumpy off road vs a 4x4 jeep. It might be fast, but you are hindering it quite a bit.
Surprisingly unorthodox there, guy, to just use a car analogy. Groundbreaking stuff.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Rac3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Gigabyte AMP500
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:39 AM
What should be here ?

Rep: 358 (Unique: 256)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Slower clock speeds makes a big difference at the end result. Single core performance, the W-3175X has a big edge. So overall multi core performance they end up being the same basically.
Oh yea. Was informed by KCD. But by that point, should Xeon be a comparative and not a enthusiast chip?

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Only 64 cores? I think I'll wait

post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 439 (Unique: 303)
Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
Oh yea. Was informed by KCD. But by that point, should Xeon be a comparative and not a enthusiast chip?
Why shouldn't it?

You compare trucks to trucks and sedans to sedans and suv to suv. A suv doesn't become a sedan just because it is not as tall as another suv and a truck doesn't turn into a suv if it can move faster than a regular truck.

The xeons are enterprise chips. Even it doesn't have as many cores, if it can pull the same performance, than it is still valid.

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 616 (Unique: 300)
Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
Absolutely. I'd love to get my hands on one of these. It's actually reached the point where RAM has become the limiting factor - with 128 threads, 256GB is simply not enough. Even if I turned off SMT, 4GB/core is just not enough for what I do now. Short of some (extremely expensive) server kit, the only real option now is RAID0'ing four NVMe drives together and using them for swap, which is obviously a far from perfect solution - although even if they wore out and needed replacing inside a year (unlikely) it would still cost a lot less than a server crammed full of 2-4TB of RAM.
Sadly a swap file will still be slow, even with RAIDed SSD's. Even if the sequential read/writes come close to being 50% of RAM you will never achieve the same performance with random reads and writes, which is why RAM is indespensible. But you are right, 2TB RAM is bloody expensive. The guys I know who work in DNA sequencing always complain about RAM prices, despite RAM being really cheap.

I did forget to add encoding as steaming services also need all the power they can get. Doesn't sound exciting but Youtube, Netflix, Iqiyi (largest Chinese steaming site) use enormous racks and these chips would serve them well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in