[VideoCardz] AMD fights RTX 2060 price-cuts, RX 5600 XT gets a new vBIOS? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[VideoCardz] AMD fights RTX 2060 price-cuts, RX 5600 XT gets a new vBIOS?

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
If you think you will magically get better performance per dollar because a console launches I don't follow. Most people buy new products not used.
Nvidia screwed with prices on their RTX lineup because AMD still couldn't compete with the GTX 10 series (2+ years behind). They were also riding the crypto wave. No need to sell their old stock at reduced price when it's still better than the competition. When AMD brought a competitive offer, the RTX S series of cards were released. Better performance per dollar, slightly better binned chips, and 8 gigs of ram instead of 6. Sure, a 2060 will still be just as good of a card in 6 months, but the new products should be replacing the older ones around the same price lineup. In fact, if the 2060 (non-S) didn't have a price cut, nobody would buy it over the S version. The same should be said about the 2070/2080 (S) variants.

AMD is contracted to sell the GPU's for new consoles, that will give them a significant boost in sales over the last year. With PS and Xbox coming out in the same year, that will be the entertainment budget for most households. To sell PC's, they have to be somewhat competitive with the console market. Consoles are basically just pre-fabbed PC's with a loaded operating system on them.

Most likely I'll still be disappointed with Nvidia's price gouging and/or AMD's driver implementation, but AMD's competition tends to bring Nvidia's prices down. With the RTX series already being 1 1/2 years old, it seems a lot smarter to wait for AMD to flood the console market and bring a competitive GPU to the table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Do you thinks it's possible to just solder the 2 memory chips and make it 5700? asking from Modding perspective and not vfm.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
If you think you will magically get better performance per dollar because a console launches I don't follow. Most people buy new products not used.
Yes i think value will become better, people will understand that a $500 console has 5700XT like or better graphics performance so $400 for 5700XT is a rip off so in 2021 5700XT performance should come for $200 while right now you can only get a 5500XT which will struggle to play PS5 ports even at 1080p 60fps

Gaming PC
(15 items)
CPU
Fx6300
Motherboard
Asus M5A78-LM
GPU
Inno3D GTX 1050Ti
RAM
DDR3 Ram 6GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Optical Drive
LG
Power Supply
Antec BP450PS
Cooling
Stock Intel
Case
iBall Axton
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Monitor
Dell E2014H 20" 1600*900
Keyboard
Intex Corona Spillproof
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 300 Gaming mice
Mouse
None
Audio
Philips SHP2000
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:23 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 595 (Unique: 464)
Quote: Originally Posted by mohit9206 View Post
Yes i think value will become better, people will understand that a $500 console has 5700XT like or better graphics performance so $400 for 5700XT is a rip off so in 2021 5700XT performance should come for $200 while right now you can only get a 5500XT which will struggle to play PS5 ports even at 1080p 60fps
Um,no.

Why are you comparing the price of a console to the price of a desktop gpu? Because the can both play games? Because they are both made by AMD? I really don't see why you would even try to compare picing on a console embedded part that runs close to metal to a external gpu running a consumer OS.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/bs72bx-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(6 items)
Redwoodz
(10 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
RAM
GSKill Trident Z D-die
RAM
TeamGroup Excalibur
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD FX Vishera 8350
Motherboard
ASRock Extreme 9 990FX
GPU
HIS X 7970 IceQ
RAM
Gskill Trident
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-760XP
Cooling
TT Water 2.0
Monitor
Samsung Series 9 27"
Keyboard
Mionix Zibal
Mouse
Mionix 5000
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Vandelay Industries

Rep: 80 (Unique: 60)
Um,no.

Why are you comparing the price of a console to the price of a desktop gpu? Because the can both play games? Because they are both made by AMD? I really don't see why you would even try to compare picing on a console embedded part that runs close to metal to a external gpu running a consumer OS.
I am going to assume a bit here but, I think what they are eluding to is that some people who are not ingrained in a ecosystem will swap between them based on perceived value. So if a "$500 console" can give them the same "perceived" value of $500 GPU, then they may swap to the console. This would intern lower sales of GPU's and increase the sales of consoles. Ofc the opposite would be true like it has been in the past as console users switch to PC for that "perceived" value.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:15 AM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 651 (Unique: 349)
removing the restrictions imposed by the BIOS seems much more likely than 4 more cores.

Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
I am going to assume a bit here but, I think what they are eluding to is that some people who are not ingrained in a ecosystem will swap between them based on perceived value. So if a "$500 console" can give them the same "perceived" value of $500 GPU, then they may swap to the console. This would intern lower sales of GPU's and increase the sales of consoles. Ofc the opposite would be true like it has been in the past as console users switch to PC for that "perceived" value.
i feel like this thought process only applies to children getting presents, and only being allowed one expensive gift per event. (birthday, christmas, etc)

And even then, for those outside of my listed scenario, how long does that really apply? One refresh. You got a new console this Holiday, instead of refreshing your GPU yearly (which you really have no need of doing anyways, and if you have the money to do that, then you wouldn't be debating one or the other)

it's a strange comparison, is my point.

However, it does 100% effect GPU pricing, post console launch. AMD has to compete with self, and NV can't get away with highway robbery, thus the consoles help to equalize the cost of gaming, but only once a decade.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.

Last edited by skupples; 01-19-2020 at 09:22 AM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:21 AM
Vandelay Industries

Rep: 80 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
removing the restrictions imposed by the BIOS seems much more likely than 4 more cores.

i feel like this thought process only applies to children getting presents, and only being allowed one expensive one per event. (birthday, christmas, etc)

And even then, for those outside of my listed scenario, how long does that really apply? One refresh. You got a new console this year, instead of refreshing your GPU yearly (which you really have no need of doing anyways, and if you have the money to do that, then you wouldn't be debating one or the other)

it's a strange comparison, is my point.

However, it does 100% effect GPU pricing, post console launch. NV & AMD both can't get away with scalping once consoles do their per decade major arch. bump. This trend sticks around for 1-2 revision, then its back to business as usual. This also only applies to mid range/low end GPUs.
I get where you are coming from except the children bit. Kids don't care. They just want what their peers have.Ofc unless you are talking about parents buying based on perceived value for a child, then I get that.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:24 AM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 651 (Unique: 349)
Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
I get where you are coming from except the children bit. Kids don't care. They just want what their peers have.Ofc unless you are talking about parents buying based on perceived value for a child, then I get that.
yeah, i'm applying it to my own typical suburban American childhood.

all though, for whatever reason I couldn't get my folks to buy me a GPU until my 16th birthday, but by 16 FF11 had roasted multiple PS2s so they were tired of replacement.

They feared the unknown, so the console was a guarantee every time a new one dropped. From OG Game Boy on.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
yeah, i'm applying it to my own typical suburban American childhood.

all though, for whatever reason I couldn't get my folks to buy me a GPU until my 16th birthday, but by 16 FF11 had roasted multiple PS2s so they were tired of replacement.

They feared the unknown, so the console was a guarantee every time a new one dropped. From OG Game Boy on.

See I had the same type of childhood and now you are making me feel old

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Um,no.

Because both systems run the x86-64 bit instruction set. They do the same thing. If you can get a gaming quality CPU, GPU, Power supply, case, and ram for $500, why buy something less powerful for more money? That's the joy of mass production, they can get the units made for cheap. If they want anything else to sell, people need a reason to buy it. Nvidia's RTX release never had competition with the console market.

Windows 10 can already do everything that an Xbox does. If an Xbox has better hardware, is it that big of a stretch to think that windows 10 could be loaded on it and it could work as a desktop computer? P.S. Windows 10 ain't all that. Any OS could be used, the only question is how hard it is to get working drivers. Gotta love AMD...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in