[AnandTech] Intel Q4 FY 2019 Results: Record Quarter, Record Year - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[AnandTech] Intel Q4 FY 2019 Results: Record Quarter, Record Year

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 07:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
nope, we're switching to them as our intel solutions age out(3 or 5yr depending on the device)/die.
Same here. My office going forward will switching over to AMD Ryzen. However that process will take time. The main draw back is currently we need to get GPU's which kind of kills the price advantage of AMD and our staff don't need GPU's. We only need dual monitor support. The included cooler is useless as we need to use Noctua L12S due to cooler restraints of the ITX cases used. That being said, the new desktop's are using much higher components, such as Strix B450 ITX boards and Seasonic Focus GX PSU's.

Hopefully, the new APU with 6core/12threads come out so we can upgrade the remaining Intel 3rd-6th Gen CPU's. The last batch of retail box we bought (Dell 8th Gen Intel) were a lot worse compared to our Vostro 270. The two we bought already had the PSU die out on us and the motherboard PSU connector is non-standard. We ended have to go order in adapters from Moddiy just to use standard PSU's.

Last edited by Section31; 01-26-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 08:58 PM
What should be here ?

Rep: 358 (Unique: 256)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
No. The most they've done is take advantage of GAAP to obfuscate their true situation in a legal & acceptable way. Large companies have been under the microscope since the fall of Enron and they'd have to be run by a doofus to take risks with their SEC filings.
I thought GAAP was far more stringent than IFRS. Hence why GAAP reports lower earnings than non GAAP.

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 AM
Mining the DB

Rep: 118 (Unique: 102)
I also think we are underestimating the income from the big mobile distributors and how many chips they sell globally.
Dell, HP, Lenovo etc.

We are talking about thousands of chips going through those channels globally.

However, as AMD pick up and release competing or beating chips for the same price, Intel will start to become the minority in these companies.

Given the recent release of the AMD 4000 series laptop CPUs, i expect this year is going to start hurting Intel.
The one thing that may be in their favor, is chip yeilds and fabrication time.

Can AMD print enough CPU's to maintain the demand? If not, Intel are still going to have a decent slice.

Intertwined Desk
(13 items)
The virtualizer
(11 items)
Surfacing
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard
Gigabyte X470 Auros Gaming 7 Wifi
GPU
AMD RX VEGA 64
RAM
2 x 8GB GSKILL Trident Z Royal 3733 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Hard Drive
Crucial BX100 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W
Cooling
Custom Watercooled Desk
Case
My Desk
Monitor
Acer XR341ck @85hz
Keyboard
Logitech G410
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Roccat Taito 3mm
CPU
E5-2670 8c/16t
CPU
E5-2670 8c/16t
Motherboard
Dell PowerEdge R720
RAM
DDR3 ECC 8 x 8GB
Hard Drive
4 x Crucial MX500 256GB RAID 10
Hard Drive
1 x Crucial MX500 1TB
Hard Drive
4 x Seagate 5TB Barracuda(ST5000LM000) RAID 6 (15TB)
Power Supply
Dell PowerEdge 750W
Power Supply
Dell PowerEdge 750W
Case
Dell PowerEdge R720
Operating System
Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V
CPU
i7 6850U 4c/8t
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM
16GB DDR4
Hard Drive
Samsung 512GB SSD
Power Supply
105W Power Brick
Case
Microsoft Surface Book 2 15"
Monitor
Microsoft Surface 15"
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 99 (Unique: 78)
You think AMD might have more demand than they expected? I mean it's definitely possible. They went from major struggles to being relevant again in a hurry.

Aren't they at the mercy of tsmc for some of this supply issue too?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 343 (Unique: 284)
Quote: Originally Posted by SystemTech View Post
I also think we are underestimating the income from the big mobile distributors and how many chips they sell globally.
Dell, HP, Lenovo etc.

We are talking about thousands of chips going through those channels globally.

However, as AMD pick up and release competing or beating chips for the same price, Intel will start to become the minority in these companies.

Given the recent release of the AMD 4000 series laptop CPUs, i expect this year is going to start hurting Intel.
The one thing that may be in their favor, is chip yeilds and fabrication time.

Can AMD print enough CPU's to maintain the demand? If not, Intel are still going to have a decent slice.
Well the thing is, Intel already had something like 90% share before the last year. So it is hard to imagine their market share went up. A couple other people have suggested that maybe the market has grown, which sounds the most plausible. No idea. Definitely counter intuitive.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Datacenter are buying all Intel as they expend.
Why?? I dont get it. EPIC and Threadripper are more cost effective. Is it because of the built in AI chip?
' Cascade Lake, featuring improved artificial intelligence (AI) and memory capabilities.'
I actually saw a youtube by Coreteks (
) where he talks about how even some retail apps are using AI inference and how the chip accelerates them - something AMD does not have. Is this the reason? I thought the datacenter was all about bandwidth.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 185 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by bwana View Post
Why?? I dont get it. EPIC and Threadripper are more cost effective. Is it because of the built in AI chip?
' Cascade Lake, featuring improved artificial intelligence (AI) and memory capabilities.'
I actually saw a youtube by Coreteks where he talks about how even some retail apps are using AI inference and how the chip accelerates them - something AMD does not have. Is this the reason? I thought the datacenter was all about bandwidth.
Deep Learning Boost and DC Persistent Memory.

https://cloud.google.com/intel/
https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/wha...-c5-instances/
https://www.ibm.com/cloud/blog/2nd-g...e-on-ibm-cloud

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:55 PM
Dell Analyst

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Datacenter are buying all Intel as they expend.
No they aren't can confirm that, can't say who under NDA, but no they are NOT ALL buying Intel as they expand. Especially because of the multiple security vulnerabilities that have had to be addressed with new ones coming out every quarter. Some big players are starting to move to AMD.

I am not an official representative of Dell. I do work for the company. I will not reveal private company information, I will not violate NDAs, and I will not give you any trade secrets. All posts are my personal opinion based on my anecdotal experience.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 187 (Unique: 149)
I'm basically an AMD fanboi at this point and even I'll tell you that this news isn't surprising. The last time AMD had a superior chip Intel just used their marketing department and shady deals to overcome until they had the superior chip again. AMD is going to make a much bigger dent this time around but it's still just going to be a dent before Intel lands back on top again.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dell_Analyst View Post
No they aren't can confirm that, can't say who under NDA, but no they are NOT ALL buying Intel as they expand. Especially because of the multiple security vulnerabilities that have had to be addressed with new ones coming out every quarter. Some big players are starting to move to AMD.
This doesn't surprise me, but it wouldn't completely kill last year's earnings statement. This year? Maybe. Big MAYBE.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in