[TechSpot] Samsung to Microsoft: The Xbox Series X should support ultrawide monitors - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Samsung to Microsoft: The Xbox Series X should support ultrawide monitors

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 08:46 AM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 648 (Unique: 349)
i've always assumed titles that forcefully lock out 21:9 do so due to their engine letting you look thru walls if said aspect ratio is too high.

I used to run into this all the time when running NV Surround/Eyefinity. Always looking thru walls on monitor #1 and #3.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 08:10 PM
do not touch my butt

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
Static desktop/monitor resolution is a joke nowdays. It's a farce when streaming is so artifact laden crap compressionit might as well be 320x300, and games are going dynamic resolution. Tricks now like part 720p to achieve a frame rate of 30fps at any 4k or whatever res the desktop /tv.

Resolution is now a stat like refresh rate, it's just a marketing thing now. 21:9 isn't going to fly long either because it requires extra effort to code in, also look at games who won't allow wide dog and intentionally lock out the wide aspect.(overwatch etc.)
i see you hit your head, get some rest. you started trailing off about streaming for some reason
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 111)
Yes, video streaming quality is still a joke. It's even a bigger joke with the quality of encodes used when paying to rent a title for $6.

You figure paying $4 to $6 for a rental would let you double the bit-rate or get better quality than normal... but no. I rented a few titles off of YouTube and the damn trailers are better quality than the encodes you get when you pay to watch them.

It matters a lot for ultrawide because all pixels are square now, unlike with DVDs. So a 21:9 movie's true resolution is actually 1920 x 823 (no where near even 1080p vertical resolution). So when you upscale 823p, you really notice compression artifacts. The sorry state of 4K on computers is that they require an Intel CPU and an HDCP 2.2 monitor. A 4K 21:9 movie would look a lot better, clearly...

Again, if XBOX X or whatever it's called gets ultra-wide support, I would think streaming providers would make it work better.

16:9 peasants need not worry, I guess.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by umeng2002; 02-03-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 09:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 77)
.... please no more black boxes while watching stuff.... i was happy that everyone went from 4:3 to 16:9. Then the original 4k came along and BAM black boxes on the sides once again for the UHD vs 4k. Creating UI's is very annoying when resolutions are variable.

post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:53 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 290 (Unique: 127)
21:9 should become the next 16:9.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 346 (Unique: 244)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Given that Hollywood most often films in 21:9 it almost makes more sense to have TVs in that aspect ratio than PC monitors, and I would say that "5K" in 21:9 makes sense but I don't particularly like the idea of marketing 5K instead of 8K since dynamic resolutions are always going to work better the more hardware resolution your have, so just for the sake of getting "8K120hz" with less compression it might be good to start shipping TVs at 7680x3290, at least you could push the native uncompressed HDMI 2.1 VRR range up to 80fps.
False, it's all cropped to any aspect ratio they want and discard a lot of the area that was shot.
In the very old movie days of analog they could indeed shoot ultrawide with special lenses but again onto a regular format film etc. So they would compress it in expensive lens but then you need similar system to play it too.

A lot of sensors are not even 16:9 wide. Rather 3:2 and such. But yeah they can crop in camera already to 16:9 usually and not use the whole sensor.

As far as Samsung vs M$ goes for UW monitors... who cares, they want to increase their sales of their not so great expensive VA ultrawides.
Of course from my point of view there is no reason for M$ and any platform to not support any resolution that fits into the GPU's buffers/memory and any limits are always done in software based on someone's order to do that extra work.

Quote:
The sorry state of 4K on computers is that they require an Intel CPU and an HDCP 2.2 monitor.
LOL what? Don't need any HDCP or Intel CPU or some specific GPU, can play anything up to 8k60 VP9 even hardware decoded. It's rather a problem created by some greedy streaming corporations that require some specific hardware and protections. Use a different service, source of your video.

Ultrawide... well a 16:9 is wide enough and in the end it's all about area and pixel density, you can easily have a 1:1 ratio monitor that's as wide and as dense as ultrawide except that you can see a crap ton more stuff up and down.

16:10 was better and that's close to the ideal ratio.

Instead of a 27" extended into ultrawide 34"... for immersion get a 4k TV and sit closer. Or just buy VR, or go out.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 111)
You know, one thing I'm noticing on going to a 1440p monitor from a 1200p monitor is that getting 1:1 pixel accuracy isn't an issue on video content, at least.

Almost all providers require Intel CPUs for 4K streaming. It says so in their FAQ sections.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 85)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
False, it's all cropped to any aspect ratio they want and discard a lot of the area that was shot.
The point is published material is 21:9 and that has been standard for nearly a century.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Microsoft should support it, and then brag about it being the bestest most mind-blowing feature ever that will change their customer's lives.

Author & Webmaster of http://www.GamerWord.Net - Alternative Viewpoint Articles & Reviews for Films & Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in