[PCGamer] After overheating concerns, Asus is helping RX 5700 owners tighten their screws - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[PCGamer] After overheating concerns, Asus is helping RX 5700 owners tighten their screws

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 02:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymac93 View Post
I've never seen torque be measured in PSI. Usually I see lb/ft or N*m. Did they mean to measure clamping force? In that case, couldn't the same screws be used and only the springs be replaced? Torque is mainly used to prevent screws from loosening over time, not for measuring clamping force. At least, not with screws these small and weak. If we were talking wheel studs it'd be a little different.
Yeah psi is pressure (usually air). Torque is nm. I'm no expert ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 02:26 PM
What goes here?

Rep: 120 (Unique: 88)
Pressure is the force the molecules of something are exerting external to them.

And torque is the measure of force being applied to an object, you could also call it the amount of twist on something relative to its center line. We have a couple of different metrics to measure it. My last truck had something like ~700 Lb-Ft of torque.

I'm no expert either.

And you can find plastic washers at most mom n pop hardware stores. I found them way out in the boonies for a project so it's more than likely you can find them local wherever you happen to live.

Desktop
(11 items)
CPU
Celeron G3930 eXtra Slow Edition
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K5
GPU
MSI R9 390
RAM
12GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 750GB
Power Supply
Corsair CX750M
Case
Fractal Define S
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5 Gen.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 02:46 PM
AMD Acolyte

Rep: 76 (Unique: 70)
I tried the washer mod and I ended up with higher temperatures. Maybe it was the 5 year old tube of Noctua thermal paste I used. Anyway, I now have an Arctic accelero III on the card, which was a ton of work but has dropped temperatures quite a bit. If any reference owner is interested in doing the same, buckle up; memory temps will be tricky to tame. I had to buy some 20x20x0.8mm copper shims to act as psuedo "heat pipes" because the ram modules are so close to the die that you cant really put any heatsinks on them directly without bumping into the accellero.

Before the shims the memory hit 88c stock and 100c when overclocked. Post shimming memory is 80c stock, 88c overclocked(1950core/1850mem) which is about 2c higher than with the blower cooler at 2400rpm. Testing methodology was a full run of the 3Dmark Firestrike Extreme stress test which takes about half an hour and pushed temps higher than any game I've played. This is with the Reference XT bios flashed and the fans pegged at 2050rpm(full speed), BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200226_150514.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	329256  

"We should make it clear that NVIDIA is a good company, and we respect their attempted transition into being a smartphone company." - Roy Taylor, AMD

BF3 STATS/BF4 STATS
z87
(19 items)
Media Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Core i5 4670k - [email protected]
Motherboard
MSI z87m GAMING
GPU
MSI R9 280 GAMING - 1.15ghz core/1.5ghz mem
RAM
A-DATA 2x4GB DDR3
RAM
PNY 2x4GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 240GB
Hard Drive
Seagate 3TB
Power Supply
Antec TruePower TP-550
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia + Cougar VortexPWM
Case
Silverstone PS07
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2401
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
Mouse
Logitech G402
Mouse
Reflex Lab Pro 32 Heavy
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO-80
Audio
Yamaha RX-V663
Audio
Micca MB42x Bookshelf Speakers
Audio
SMSL Q5
CPU
AMD Phenom II 720
Motherboard
ASRock 870 Extreme 3
GPU
HIS 5750 (840core/1200mem)
RAM
2*2GB A-Data DDR3 1600
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001
Optical Drive
Lite-On Blue Ray WH14NS40
Power Supply
Corsair CX-430
Cooling
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO
Case
NZXT Beta EVO
Operating System
Windows 10 pro 64-bit
Monitor
Vizio M43-c1
Keyboard
Logitech K400
Mouse
Gigabyte M7700
Audio
Sony STR-DN1070
Audio
Definitive Technology BP8 Tower Speakers
Audio
Definitive Technology 2002 Series Center Speaker
Audio
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Bookshelf Speakers
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
ASRock did this with their high end B350 & X370 Fatal1ty ITX boards. Ended up shipping boards with an incredibly thick thermal pad to cover up their mistake. And then they turned around and had the guts to ask customers to pay $50 + shipping fees both ways to have it corrected.

Then a short while later ASRock shipped boards with labelling indicating they were Ryzen 2000 compatible but they actually had an older non-compatible BIOS installed; they wanted customers to pay $50 + shipping to have the correct BIOS module installed in the removable chip socket. Other companies would have shipped you out the part to correct the issue along with an apology.

And this was in recent memory. Despicable is the only word that comes to mind about it.

Nope.

This sort of thing easily happens when a manager feels pressured to meet a quota or obligation. I wouldn't push blame on the engineers that test & verify products because nobody is going to put their stamp of approval on a product that's going to get a bunch of back lash from customers. Or it could have just been up to human error. Sometimes it's hard to tell with this type of issue.
Makes me want to go back and watch the Dilbert tv show. Or buy a newspaper.

You could just flip your computer upside down to give it proper mounting pressure according to HUB. Or upside right if you're an AUSIE .

The design only seems to make a bit of sense the way ref cards position the blower vapor chamber. (Novice speculation)

Like Skupples said, use plastic washers. Think of it like this, your screw is to long, the washer shortens the screw.

Btw this interesting, not to sure if I understand it all.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/gddr6-mem...ight-basics/2/

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2035 Gaming Ram 960 43c Air Water Hybrid Cardboard Blower with a 20$ chinese Waterblock on the core 50 gallon tote of water, Ryzen 3700x 4.25 ghz, 15$ chinese waterblock, same tote 3200 ddr3 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF , B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU.

Last edited by treetops422; 03-01-2020 at 12:01 AM.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 04:37 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 682 (Unique: 362)
and your local ace should have them in the screw isle, in the box sliders. big box typically doesn't go small enough for anything relating to PC, except for TORX/allen/hex kits.

minor side thought & warning. Those 30 piece screw driver kits on amazon are absolute trash. they're made outta ledplastic or something. They're so soft that you're gonna strip the tip unless you use the perfect fitting driver.

good news is, Dewalt's 2020 revision of the (black) impact bit set is spot on.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in