[CBC]Apple will pay up to $500 million US to settle slow iPhone lawsuit - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[CBC]Apple will pay up to $500 million US to settle slow iPhone lawsuit

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 03:11 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 114 (Unique: 86)
Quote: Originally Posted by bmgjet View Post
There were benchmarks on jail broken firmwares between a old firmware and upgraded firmware.
Stripped down jailbroken firmwares proved that to be false because they found the code that was putting a throttle in place and you could disable it.
Links?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 03:13 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 188 (Unique: 130)
Quote: Originally Posted by bmgjet View Post
Sounds like some one is drinking the apple coolaid.
This isnt what the case is about. They were slowing phones down that had never been used/had new batterys. There were benchmarks on jail broken firmwares between a old firmware and upgraded firmware.

At first apples excuse was new firmwares are more demanding and slowing phones down.
Stripped down jailbroken firmwares proved that to be false because they found the code that was putting a throttle in place and you could disable it.

It wasnt until after they got caught out they came out to say they were doing it for the battery. But even when you went and got a new battery fitted they only slightly raised the throttling up and you had to jailbreak to completely remove it.

Good to see they are being held accountable.
Please show proof because that was not the case even the lawsuit states it. I've ran into this issue myself before this lawsuit. Apple charged me for a battery replacement and everything was fine. The previous firmware shut your phone off instantly because the CPU was running at full speed. With a later firmware Apple throttled it to have a bit more life. I'd rather have a bit more life and I would hope other phone manufacturers follow as long as they are transparent.

Stop with your Apple hate and actually read.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...a-whopping-25/

Quote:
Apple to pay $25 per user, up to $500M, for slowing iPhones with bad batteries.

Apple was accused of concealing the defect by intentionally slowing down phone performance with a software update. "Throughout 2017... Apple failed to inform customers that the 'fix' to the shutdown problem in iOS 10.2.1 came with a significant—and undisclosed—tradeoff: the update artificially slowed down the processors in Apple's Devices," the complaint said.

"In computer science parlance, Apple concealed within the iOS updates secret commands which 'underclocked' the processors in the affected phones, causing them to perform calculations across the board at a slower rate than the hardware was capable of supporting, and slower than they had operated before the iOS updates," the complaint said.

This change allowed phones to operate longer with older batteries, but Apple "never asked its purchasers for their authorization to slow down their devices" and did not inform users of the change, the complaint said.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 03-03-2020 at 03:19 PM.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:17 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
wannabe, please stop.

hmm... I wonder if I have any brand new old phones in store I could bench pre-update, then update & bench again.

though then the fangirls would ree about software complexity at that point.

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Please show proof because that was not the case even the lawsuit states it. I've ran into this issue myself before this lawsuit. Apple charged me for a battery replacement and everything was fine. The previous firmware shut your phone off instantly because the CPU was running at full speed. With a later firmware Apple throttled it to have a bit more life. I'd rather have a bit more life and I would hope other phone manufacturers follow as long as they are transparent.

Stop with your Apple hate and actually read.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...a-whopping-25/
the problem we saw come from that update were swollen phones, popped screens, & the devices that didn't fail almost immediately, would then be on, but I wouldn't qualify their unresponsive state as anything close to functioning. that battery update murdered millions of phones.

i'm still salty about my personal experience because APPLE weaseled out of giving my an identical replacement when I walked in with a swollen battery pushing the screen off. I even tried to go through corporate support channels. Somehow its OK to replace a 128gb 6S+ with a base model, under warranty. complete & utter nonsense.

mind you, my 6S+ was completely functional, zero signs of battery degradation, before that update. In fact, the day of, it claimed my battery still had 96% life! 1 week later, dead, swollen, screen popping off.

designing software to influence sales might not be illegal, but its highly immoral.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 03-03-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:25 PM
sudo apt install sl

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
wannabe, please stop.

hmm... I wonder if I have any brand new old phones in store I could bench pre-update, then update & bench again.

though then the fangirls would ree about software complexity at that point.
Why are you going out of your way to test a myth.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:30 PM

so then what's actually happening when an old phone, being brought up to date, slows down? surely its always the battery, right? even when their new fancy, totally not battery nuking @ release software doesn't read below 70%?

i'm annoyed. we just donated 100 gen 6 iphones n tablets for this exact reason.

batteries were well within range of acceptable life, yet when brought up to date, they turned into buckets of mud. which is weird, cuz my warranty replacement hasn't suffered anywhere near as much, even when the new feature was showing under 50% life left. (two replacements in since the battery update, which means I'm officially on my last iphone ever)

Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:35 PM
OCN is bad civilization

i'm still salty about my personal experience because APPLE weaseled out of giving my an identical replacement when I walked in with a swollen battery pushing the screen off. I even tried to go through corporate support channels. Somehow its OK to replace a 128gb 6S+ with a base model, under warranty. complete & utter nonsense.
I find that very hard to believe considering that you're being told what replacement device you're given (it is also written on the invoice along with serial number). Unless you're high as a kite, being told you're given a base model as a replacement for more expensive defective one would result in "Uh, no." in any instance. Within a warranty period no less.

Last edited by Melan; 03-03-2020 at 04:39 PM.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by Melan View Post
I find that very hard to believe considering that you're being told what replacement device you're given (it is also written on the invoice along with serial number). Unless you're high as a kite, being told you're given a base model as a replacement for more expensive defective one would result in "Uh, no." in any instance. Within a warranty period no less.
well, forgive me if I don't upload the email logs from after leaving their store, being told its the only phone they're gonna give me. Seems what's most likely is they're simply enforcing the bad decision made by the local manager at Galeria Square Mall, Yacht district, Fort Lauderdale Florida.

I know I'd personally be embarrassed to do something similar @ work.

"oh, our laptop was an i7 with 32gb? well, here's an i7 with 8gb, close enough, tehe!" developers would castrate me.

this was years ago now, but I think I remember what happened.

their excuse is that the phone technically wasn't under warranty anymore, but they were replacing it due to the damage control efforts of the battery update.

the only other option was buying a new phone.

Last edited by andrews2547; 03-03-2020 at 04:51 PM.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM
OCN is bad civilization

The only phone they are obligated to give you is the same model. If they don't have it in stock then they order one. Otherwise you write a complaint to consumer protection office.

Edit: Since you've said that the phone was out of warranty but they were replacing a defective battery as part of the program, they replace the battery and not the device.

Last edited by Melan; 03-03-2020 at 05:01 PM.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM
sudo apt install sl

so then what's actually happening when an old phone, being brought up to date, slows down? surely its always the battery, right? even when their new fancy, totally not battery nuking @ release software doesn't read below 70%?

i'm annoyed. we just donated 100 gen 6 iphones n tablets for this exact reason.

batteries were well within range of acceptable life, yet when brought up to date, they turned into buckets of mud. which is weird, cuz my warranty replacement hasn't suffered anywhere near as much, even when the new feature was showing under 50% life left. (two replacements in since the battery update, which means I'm officially on my last iphone ever)
Apple pushed a software update to keep iPhones with bad batteries from randomly turning off. They did this by limiting how much strain they could put on the battery. There have already been plenty of test and they all showed replacing the battery with a healthy one fixed the throttling. The issue stated in the lawsuit was that they didn't inform the purchasers.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 03-03-2020 at 05:07 PM.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Apple pushed a software update to keep iPhones with bad batteries from randomly turning off. They did this by limiting how much strain they could put on the battery. There have already been plenty of test and they all showed replacing the battery with a healthy one fixed the throttling. The issue stated in the lawsuit was that they didn't inform the purchasers.

https://youtu.be/qCD_psdhCuU
right, most people woke up n were like "*** is this new battery setting, and why is my phone now a brick?" and/or "hey look, my battery is gonna explode, i should probably take it in for service."

I understand the stated intent of the update. They had an official response on the matter by the time my mom pushed the update, with similar affect.

as to wth happened with my 6S+ - dude's definitely right that I should've contacted affairs. I completely understand what should have happened. I've worked the front lines myself, just not retail. I expected to walk in with a swollen phone, & leave with a newly installed battery for a small fee.

instead, the lady's eyes blew up like she'd seen a ghost, n moved towards replacing the device ASAP, but only providing a 32gb(had to check just now to confirm. phone's don't really peak my interest) device instead.

thru all that though. 6S+ is still my favorite phone of all time, so far. It's been the most durable device i've ever purchased(post bendgate fix). I tried to move to 7+, but broke that light piece of junk almost immediately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in