[AnandTech] AMD's RDNA 2 Gets A Codename: “Navi 2X” Comes This Year With 50% Improved Perf-Per-Watt - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[AnandTech] AMD's RDNA 2 Gets A Codename: “Navi 2X” Comes This Year With 50% Improved Perf-Per-Watt

post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 06:34 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
correct. maintaining 60 isn't a huge issue in 90% of your catalog. still not good enough 3440x1440p120+ is a nice middle ground to wait on for now. i no longer feel weird missing the extra vert. n concessions to keep 120 are minimal. n PPI with 34 inch 4K is similar.

we need something to properly drive the LGCX48 @ the end of the year. the world is ready for 4K120.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 03-05-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I'd toss some coin at this card. Been running 4K on my 980s since 2014, but every generation of games I have to keep lowering settings to keep everything playable. But end of 2020? Ugh such a long wait. We'll see if NVIDIA drop anything.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 620 (Unique: 302)
Performance per watt? Sounds like this is being optimised for mobile and laptops over discrete desktop GPU's.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 352 (Unique: 250)
Well they may be aiming at the top as they did before but in the end it always turned out they were aiming at the current top end not the one that will be in a year or two when they actually launch
Navi and consoles should have been out by now, but for what ever reasons they are delaying the consoles to use a more refined version of Navi.

They do indeed need to compete in the top end and at least high end market as so far they are on the low to barely mid range in terms of performance. Price wise they are at high end and Nvidia at crazy end.

Yes efficiency is big for CPUs and GPUs, the more efficient the less heat and the more performance they can pack into it. The dies are tiny and power density high at this point, sure you can make a gigantic die with 1kW but that's not economical to manufacture at all. As efficiency goes up so does performance hand in hand. It's why NV gained such a lead over AMD on GPUs after their hot and loud grill series, they made more and more efficient architectures while AMD got stuck with a hot and loud GCN for ages, was performant at first but not competitive as it got older and NV sailed past it big time.

These sort of marketing slides and claims... believe it when I have it in my hands, till then it's like asking the sky for rain. May happen, may not.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 10:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 174 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Well they may be aiming at the top as they did before but in the end it always turned out they were aiming at the current top end not the one that will be in a year or two when they actually launch
Navi and consoles should have been out by now, but for what ever reasons they are delaying the consoles to use a more refined version of Navi.

They do indeed need to compete in the top end and at least high end market as so far they are on the low to barely mid range in terms of performance. Price wise they are at high end and Nvidia at crazy end.

Yes efficiency is big for CPUs and GPUs, the more efficient the less heat and the more performance they can pack into it. The dies are tiny and power density high at this point, sure you can make a gigantic die with 1kW but that's not economical to manufacture at all. As efficiency goes up so does performance hand in hand. It's why NV gained such a lead over AMD on GPUs after their hot and loud grill series, they made more and more efficient architectures while AMD got stuck with a hot and loud GCN for ages, was performant at first but not competitive as it got older and NV sailed past it big time.

These sort of marketing slides and claims... believe it when I have it in my hands, till then it's like asking the sky for rain. May happen, may not.
should be out by now? Consoles always release just in time for the xmas buying season. Can't think of a console that didn't.

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 10:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 880 (Unique: 638)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
will it come with functional drivers and AIB partners not forgetting hot things need thermal pads?
Gonna invite Tothesun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disaster.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	331004  

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 12:37 AM
mfw

Rep: 467 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
"forgetting" or pinching pennies by using existing stock?

still exited to see something. 5700XT is a good tease. Ready to see it on steroids.

n hopefully that "Shared architecture" stuff actually translates to something this time around.
What I'm most excited to see is how well they will do ray and path tracing. One of nVidia's bottlenecks, in my view, is denoising. I'm not sure if this is the correct terminology for the specific artifacts I'm talking about, but I mean the temporal noise for moving objects.

I know absolutely nothing about the underlying tech (programming and hardware required for such a task), but it mars what would otherwise be clearly superior output (vs non-traced graphics).

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Gigabyte AMP500
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 03:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 116)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Performance per watt? Sounds like this is being optimised for mobile and laptops over discrete desktop GPU's.
Not really. The 5700XT is a 250W card. The VII is a 300W card. to get substantial performance improvement above these cards you need performance per watt improvements. There already power draw limited as it is.

Medusa TH10A
(9 items)
16" Macbook Pro
(0 items)
CPU
3960X Threadripper
Motherboard
Zenith II Extreme
GPU
GTX 1080Ti
RAM
64GB Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 960 Pro
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Case
CaseLabs TH10A
Monitor
Acer XB32HK
Audio
SoundBlaster ZXR
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 74)
This news is huge. Why has this thread only got 17 replies? In our glory days it'd be in excess of 200.

post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:33 AM
mfw

Rep: 467 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by Juub View Post
This news is huge. Why has this thread only got 17 replies? In our glory days it'd be in excess of 200.
Maybe we have just collectively learned to temper expectations when it comes to this type of announcements.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Gigabyte AMP500
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in