[GN] Why Most Cooler Tests Are Flawed - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[GN] Why Most Cooler Tests Are Flawed

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 233 (Unique: 176)
[GN] Why Most Cooler Tests Are Flawed

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...sts-are-flawed

I approve, though still imperfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
My old NH-D14 is still performing fantastic and is super silent as well. Best of all, no annoying vibrations.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:48 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 682 (Unique: 362)
cool. look forward to their results. it would be one of their first genuine contributions, aside from tear down videos

this topic has been coming up more and more recently, gotta love how it was being discussed elsewhere at the exact same time, by people that could actually do something about it.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 352 (Unique: 250)
So they will test coolers now as well and care to do it well. Good. I don't see anything new or surprising in the article. But it seems that they are sticking with the variable PC method while trying to monitor for errors by running many passes instead of moving to a test using a heater.

I would really like to see a heater as a source not a PC+software and let the damn things soak for a long time especially for water coolers where there are endless magical results with water coolers done using 10 min joke tests.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Sexagenarian

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
Steve Bourke (spelling ?) from always does his best to try to be scientific about testing .
There is a point though where it becomes purely academic .
An accurate case review would have prevented me from buying a hot box ( be quiet 801 ) and an under-performing air cooler ( Dark rock 4 ) to build me Ryzen 3900x machine . I now have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG and a Noctua ND-15s with a second fan added , hate buying twice ! Good accurate reviews go a long way to preventing this .
So I am very interested in seeing this all come to Fruition .
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 02:53 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I don't think it was mentioned specifically, but even the location of the temp monitoring probe for the ambient temperature is good (for the bench at least, if it was an in case test, I'd personally want it a bit closer).

Though I've usually done it with 2 different probes, ambient and intake,so I guess in the case of using just one probe this is a good spot with a balanced distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamers nexus thermal couple location - Copy.png
Views:	10
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	331214  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamers nexus thermal couple location angle 2 - Copy.png
Views:	7
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	331218  

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 03-07-2020 at 03:29 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 04:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 12)
Yes!

Quote:
Cases are so varied in design that there’s no point in trying to pick a “standardized” case to test against all coolers, and instead it’s better to test open air where the field is level and relatively easy to extrapolate across other conditions.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 04:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 12)
Yes!

Quote:
Cases are so varied in design that there’s no point in trying to pick a “standardized” case to test against all coolers, and instead it’s better to test open air where the field is level and relatively easy to extrapolate across other conditions.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 05:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 708 (Unique: 565)
I've been looking at that Reeven thing..or Scythe.
Wish I would have bought 2-3 of the one I have, no reviews, but it works pretty good. Was $27.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 05:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 76)
i guess somebody is reading alot here lately lol what a coincidence

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in