[AnandTech] AMD Unveils CDNA GPU Architecture: A Dedicated GPU Architecture for Data Centers - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[AnandTech] AMD Unveils CDNA GPU Architecture: A Dedicated GPU Architecture for Data Centers

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 12:01 AM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 67 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
The money comes from data centers now adays. Gaming cards cost too much R&D because gamers expect large performance improvements year after year.

Cost is relative for AMD. Being the sole source of graphics chips for 2 major consoles has been paying the bills for their GPUs for a while now. Making tweaks for data centers shouldn't cost them much of anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 05:05 AM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 620 (Unique: 302)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
Good for AMD, good for those who want more compute performance, bad for big Navi rumors. Or those of us looking for competition in the gaming segment to drive down GA102 prices.

This also might have caught Intel flat footed. I really want to see them break into the gpu market with enough success to keep going.
If your whole goal for AMD being competitive is for nVidia to drop prices then you can keep paying that extortionate green tax, because you are the reason why nVidia charge so much.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 07:24 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 55 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
If your whole goal for AMD being competitive is for nVidia to drop prices then you can keep paying that extortionate green tax, because you are the reason why nVidia charge so much.
I like to play immersive story rich games at 4k60 low lag vsync with frame interpolation turned on. The VII is quite good for this, but not in DX11 and lower titles with my cpu/mobo/ram. There are still some of those coming out, not to mention the ones I still have on my want to play list.

Am I not allowed smooth 4k60? How about having the best visuals available?

Maybe fate has worked against my purchase of AMD cards. I did have cfx 280X's and a 4770k in 2013, but their frametimes were hideous so I wanted to replace them. I looked at the 290x for cfx that fall, but the cooler was crap and the first mining boom was on so sli 780tis were the better buy for $1400. They got old and I was looking to upgrade in 2017. I was tired of the noise, but mgpu still seemed like the way to go for 4k so I wanted aio. Vega had infinity fabric and there were many promising rumors so I waited with a lot of cash to spend. It came out with no cfx support and 1080 level performance. How was that supposed to be worth $1400 for cfx LC? I was so set on it I even had one in my cart, but it went out of stock when I got to checkout. Even worse availability than the first mining boom. So I wised up and went with sli Aorus 1080ti aios for $1600 and they were outstanding. Eventually sold one for $600 and the one left is still pretty good.

Sli isn't as good as it used to be so I was looking at one card this time. My cpu setup still seems ok for 4k60 if I go with Nvidia. I don't have a problem with spending $1500 on a single gpu that is a similar step from the 2080ti that the 2080ti was from the 1080ti. But having the best visuals I can get in that upgrade price range is important to me. I would feel like I goofed in my goal of visual indulgence if I settled for not nearly as much of a performance improvement over a 1080ti for still a lot of money.

In my shoes what would you buy?

A lot of people like the games and display setups AMD does better in more. I like that they enjoy their stuff and hope they get better stuff to buy at reasonable prices as well. But I'm not going to deny myself what I want when it won't change the price people pay. I'm just one guy in Wisconsin.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 07:31 AM
mfw

Rep: 467 (Unique: 223)
"I'm just one guy" is how all change in the world begins.

What a strange notion. It is one thing to feel and think it. It's another to share it in a public forum.

"I hope AMD manages to JUST ABOUT START to get success so I can go ahead and help them lose it as soon as possible."

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Gigabyte AMP500
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 07:46 AM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
chicken & egg.

sad thing is, the amount of stress your hate causes you.

did you yell @ people for buying top of the line hardware for thousands and thousands per chip back in the 90s too?

MS gonna be taking note & dropping a $999 console this time around too.

~$1,000 cell phones are much more recent. So I guess they're all taking a page from LJM's book

dude highlights a good point. The Death of SLI came about around the same time as obscene GPU pricing. So clearly they just thought they could turn sli users into stupidly expensive single card users.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 03-08-2020 at 08:06 AM.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 09:12 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
"I'm just one guy" is how all change in the world begins.

What a strange notion. It is one thing to feel and think it. It's another to share it in a public forum.

"I hope AMD manages to JUST ABOUT START to get success so I can go ahead and help them lose it as soon as possible."
One of us is being honest.
I hope AMD does well but I have no expectation that they will have the better gpu upgrade for me this upcoming gen. They may have a better upgrade for a great many though. That comes down to hardware being upgraded, uses and prices.
How would not buying what I want change that? What If I bought 2 big Navis and a 3080ti, would that lower prices for anyone? Would it bring just enough funding that AMD would budget for better drivers for all games?
Complaining works better for that.

Some reason Nvidia still keeps getting better while on top. The gap has just keeps widening. I could support that as well. Given the chance, I feel like I could make a concession to a gpu manufacturer with more potential whose gpu program is on more shaky footing - Intel.

AMD hasn't been significantly raising the bar for graphics performance since early GCN and shows little inclination to do so. They are already have success with the consoles and midrange. What would the future be like if the ones striving for excellence lost and those striving for mediocrity took their place? With CDNA coming out, you can't complain about them not having the resources for bigger RDNA either. They showed CDNA will get done and if bigger RDNA doesn't, then it wasn't a high enough priority for them.

I'm not going to make a personal sacrifice to punish excellence in order to support mediocrity for the masses. I'm going to take a stand and either buy the Intel underdog that wants to make a statement, or Nvidia the consistent and ongoing leader in gaming performance and innovation. Because I want to support better graphics for everyone. (myself included)

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Audio
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 09:30 AM
mfw

One of us is being honest.
Yes, I'm a dishonest person. Debate won. Go you!

You said you were looking for AMD to be competitive so you could buy nVidia at a lower price. If you're unhappy about the pricing, why would you ever give them your money AGAIN in a scenario in which AMD had performance and value parity (because that is the definition of competition in this case)? I can tell you exactly what effect that would have on nVidia's pricing in the future: none.

Remember, this is YOUR prerogative; not mine. It's YOUR honesty to be put in question here. I could understand your point of view if you had anything locking you into the ecosystem (G-sync, the need for CUDA, etc), but all you're after is 4K60 performance on a TV. Why would you EVER do the thing that would exacerbate the problem you were JUST complaining about?

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Gigabyte AMP500
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 09:58 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Yes, I'm a dishonest person. Debate won. Go you!

You said you were looking for AMD to be competitive so you could buy nVidia at a lower price. If you're unhappy about the pricing, why would you ever give them your money AGAIN in a scenario in which AMD had performance and value parity (because that is the definition of competition in this case)? I can tell you exactly what effect that would have on nVidia's pricing in the future: none.

Remember, this is YOUR prerogative; not mine. It's YOUR honesty to be put in question here. I could understand your point of view if you had anything locking you into the ecosystem (G-sync, the need for CUDA, etc), but all you're after is 4K60 performance on a TV. Why would you EVER do the thing that would exacerbate the problem you were JUST complaining about?
Nvidia's likely pricing isn't a dealbreaker, I just wouldn't say no to a better deal. And AMD isn't competitive in the high end. There is no parity. I wish there were, maybe you could go red and help them with that. You could change the world. They just have no products for any price that are comparable with the 2080ti and won't with the 3080ti when it comes out.
They do compete in the segments where they have products, just not for what I'm looking to buy.
Hopefully CDNA will help them compete in more segments by offering better performing products for them.

I wish AMD success in their pursuits. But I don't gain ownership in what they do by doing that. And admitting they aren't competing in the product segment of my next big purchase isn't condemning them, it is accepting the company for what it is.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Audio
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 10:23 AM
mfw

Nvidia's likely pricing isn't a dealbreaker, I just wouldn't say no to a better deal. And AMD isn't competitive in the high end. There is no parity. I wish there were, maybe you could go red and help them with that. You could change the world. They just have no products for any price that are comparable with the 2080ti and won't with the 3080ti when it comes out.
They do compete in the segments where they have products, just not for what I'm looking to buy.
Hopefully CDNA will help them compete in more segments by offering better performing products for them.

I wish AMD success in their pursuits. But I don't gain ownership in what they do by doing that. And admitting they aren't competing in the product segment of my next big purchase isn't condemning them, it is accepting the company for what it is.
What you mentioned initially was not going with AMD at a hypothetical point in which they'd have performance parity. By excusing your stance with "well, they're not competing at the moment", you just moved the entire goalpost.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Gigabyte AMP500
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

What you mentioned initially was not going with AMD at a hypothetical point in which they'd have performance parity. By excusing your stance with "well, they're not competing at the moment", you just moved the entire goalpost.
I assumed the default accepted definition for "performance parity" was averaged as measured by reputable reviewers. I did not know you were taking it as something different, whatever that is. They test the latest games with maximum cpu performance. Trade their cpu for a 5775c and mix in some older games and take out most of the fps/esports, run them all at 4k60 and the results would be different wouldn't they? That's the excuse I made in post 23. I even stated "not with a quad core cpu at least" in the same sentence I made that statement. I can still stand by both, you just have to read the whole sentence and not take distorted fragments.

If I were more into any of the following: BF, some 27"1440p freesync monitor, had a 5ghz 9900k, didn't already have a 1080ti, only played DX12/vulcan/mantle games, I would be better served than I am by an AMD gpu.
I don't have to hate on them to see that they are currently not a good fit for me, and I'm fine with them being a good fit for others.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Audio
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in