[The Register] You only LVI twice: Meltdown The Sequel strikes Intel chips – and full mitigation against data-meddling flaw will cost you 50%+ of performance - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Register] You only LVI twice: Meltdown The Sequel strikes Intel chips – and full mitigation against data-meddling flaw will cost you 50%+ of performance

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
I had the 7700HQ in a laptop and it was beast. But ran uber hot and each one of Dell's BIOS updates made it louder than the last. Eventually I sold it because the whine was wearing on me too much. Started hearing it in my dreams and that's when I decided it was enough. Haha.

My aunt's got a nice little HP 2400G machine with that support assist program on it. She refuses to let me remove it or to install a clean copy of LTSC so I wonder how it'll be affected by this mitigation.

Never much liked support assist myself but I see where it could be useful being automated and all.
ours is specifically configured in deployment to come out NOT setup to auto-update. this was a mandatory push from it simply existing.

yeah, I laid down the law today after seeing that happen.

told the support desk that no fux are given what their opinion is. they can go to the website if they think they need drivers the windows store isn't properly pulling. (only thing I'm willing to admit this might be an issue on is docking stations. they're hit or miss on P&P/pulling drivers)

i watched 40 laptops pull all special HP drivers today. NO MORE SUPPORT ASSISTANT. Find me ONE ticket where you can prove updating the BIOS fixed something, and maybe we'll talk, but even then, WE ARE THE SUPPORT ASSISTANTS YOU LAZY BUMS.

serious question now... of all the 4x style space games, which one should I dive into? Thinking Endless Space 2.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 03-13-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:14 AM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 633 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
ours is specifically configured in deployment to come out NOT setup to auto-update. this was a mandatory push from it simply existing.

told the support desk that no fux are given what their opinion is. they can go to the website if they think they need drivers the windows store isn't properly pulling. (only thing I'm willing to admit this might be an issue on is docking stations. they're hit or miss on P&P/pulling drivers)

i watched 40 laptops pull all special HP drivers today. NO MORE SUPPORT ASSISTANT. Find me ONE ticket where you can prove updating the BIOS fixed something, and maybe we'll talk, but even then, WE ARE THE SUPPORT ASSISTANTS YOU LAZY BUMS.

serious question now... of all the 4x style space games, which one should I dive into? Thinking Endless Space 2.
Endless Space 2 is damned good, I've played it a lot and like it. I do prefer Civilisation but Endless Space isn't bad.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 10:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
So is this attack made into a virus that any intel CPU (that it works on) can get ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Imagine if next year for some reason, all modern intel CPU's really do end up 1/2 as fast overnight to fix some problem

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:25 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

overnight? no, over the period of 2 years. one bios, hardware driver, & windows update at a time.

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 06:56 PM
there is no easy way out

Rep: 314 (Unique: 179)
Winrar score of my current Haswell CPU was 9300 - 9400 KB/s a week ago (Fixed 3.7 GHz all core, 1600 CL9 something timings). Now it is around 8600 KB/s. This has got something to do with recent windows updates.

Edit: Winrar 4.2 x64.

Edit2: My bad, the information in this post is wrong, it's been corrected some posts later in this thread.

It just works
(14 items)
CPU
Xeon E3-1246 v3 @ 4.1 GHz
Motherboard
Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
GPU
Legendary GT 710 DDR3 Edition
RAM
DDR3 16 GB at 2240 MHz
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
HDD 2 TB Total
Power Supply
(9+ years old) Corsair TX850 V2
Cooling
(8+ years old) Corsair H70
Case
Beginner's CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 64 bit
Monitor
Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt VGA only
Keyboard
(9+ years old) PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500
Mouse
Shitty Logitech and their shitty M170 mouse (scroller went kaput within a year)
Audio
Integrated HD 892 with crappy 95 db SNR
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by sumitlian; 07-11-2020 at 07:05 AM.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 07:02 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

you can push them off or longer periods of time on enterprise, or you could spin up a WSUS server, & have it catch all updates & never push.

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 09:23 PM
there is no easy way out

Rep: 314 (Unique: 179)
That is good indeed, but the thing is it was me who did it manually lol . I couldn't guess they were gonna address this specific LVI one, this soon. Exactly until now, there was no noticeable decrease in performance. It still isn't perceivable enough for now for real world applications, but; at least the synthetic benchmarks scores seem to be going down a bit. Geekbech 5 went down too. Let's see what happens next.

It just works
(14 items)
CPU
Xeon E3-1246 v3 @ 4.1 GHz
Motherboard
Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
GPU
Legendary GT 710 DDR3 Edition
RAM
DDR3 16 GB at 2240 MHz
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
HDD 2 TB Total
Power Supply
(9+ years old) Corsair TX850 V2
Cooling
(8+ years old) Corsair H70
Case
Beginner's CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 64 bit
Monitor
Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt VGA only
Keyboard
(9+ years old) PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500
Mouse
Shitty Logitech and their shitty M170 mouse (scroller went kaput within a year)
Audio
Integrated HD 892 with crappy 95 db SNR
▲ hide details ▲
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:22 PM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 321 (Unique: 222)
i wonder if the mitigation for this is why all our HPs are automatically BIOS updating this morning.

this is also why they should NOT have baked HP support assistant into the image.

gonna have to strip that out ASAP.
Hah! That sucks.

Our stance on such tools can be summed up with this; The last tech that actually ran the Dell auto updater tool thing got told off for putting non-standardized software, drivers, and BIOS on something we support, creating unknowns. They should have reinstalled the one relevant driver, maybe updated it, and searched for hardware issues.

No Joke.

Our image bakes in .CABs from Dell, but those are checked before being inserted. Automated tools for users who don't care at home? Sure. In an enterprise environment? No. There are teams for people for that.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 257 (Unique: 204)

Where I work mandates enabling auto-updates for Windows, which is a colossal pain. Fortunately, all but one of my boxes run Linux, although even that isn't always pain-free (stupid Intel iGPU drivers on newer kernels).

The recent mad dash to migrate Windows 7/Server 2008 boxes off the soon-to-be-unsupported OS was slightly strange to watch, as well.

Endless Space 1 or 2, really. They're both great.

I've been less enamoured of Stellaris; it doesn't "click" for me.

Endless Legend is also good, if you're willing to try a fantasy 4X by the same devs as Endless Space.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in