[Guru3d] PlayStation 5 Tech Details - 8x ZEN2 cores, RDNA2 with 2304 shaders (16GB GDDR6) + 825 GB (5.5 GB/s) M.2 SSD - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Guru3d] PlayStation 5 Tech Details - 8x ZEN2 cores, RDNA2 with 2304 shaders (16GB GDDR6) + 825 GB (5.5 GB/s) M.2 SSD

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 49 (Unique: 44)
[Guru3d] PlayStation 5 Tech Details - 8x ZEN2 cores, RDNA2 with 2304 shaders (16GB GDDR6) + 825 GB (5.5 GB/s) M.2 SSD

Quote:
The GPU is listed having 36 (new Xbox actually has 52) compute units, if the shader clusters hold 64 units per cluster (and we're pretty certain of that) then that accounts for 2304 shader processors for PS5 running at clock frequencies that can hit 2230 MHz on the GPU and 3.5 GHz on the processor cores (max boost values). Both the CPU and GPU will thus get variable (boost) frequencies, much like we have had for years on our desktop PCs. For the GPU that also means different as game and max boost frequencies. We think the GPU will be more at a sub 2 GHz 'game clock' rather than that (really impressive) 2230 MHz. This is an interesting clock frequency to learn from with BIG NAVI in mind eh? Anyway, that brings the new console towards 10.3 TFLOPs of compute perf (GPU), where the Xbox claims 12 TFLOPS.

The memory subsystem is based on 16 GB of GDDR6 memory shared in-between the System and GPU. The presence of an SSD drops the need for normal memory. Storage wise the PS5 will get an ultra-fast SSD based on a 12-channel controller. That is NVMe M.2 based, and also based on PCI-Express 4.0. This will bring 5.5 GB/s peak sequential transfer rates towards the PS5 (in the presentation referred to as storage bandwidth).

The SSD is 825 GB in size but can be expanded with another M2 SSD. You can install certified M.2 SSDs as extra storage, they need to be as fast as the standard SSD in the PS5 and thus PCIe 4.0 compatible as well. 3D audio is also a big part of the new PS5. The new PS5 development kits will go out to developers late this year.
Source: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/pl...-gbs)-ssd.html

Interesting how this compares to the Xbox. A little less GPU power, a lot faster SSD. Will be interesting to see how that plays out over time.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 86)
As long as they ship at the anticipated price points (PS5 $399 Xbox $499) you're getting pretty much exactly the same price to performance either way.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 49 (Unique: 41)
With Microsoft taking the multi-plat approach of new games supporting both the old X1X as well as PCs, it's going to be held back simply due to lack of hardware-specific development and possibly the need for real-time scaling (unless they're doing hardware-specific compiles, unlikely), this makes me think that the PS5 exclusives will look much better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:53 PM
Untitled.jpg

Rep: 44 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post
With Microsoft taking the multi-plat approach of new games supporting both the old X1X as well as PCs, it's going to be held back simply due to lack of hardware-specific development and possibly the need for real-time scaling (unless they're doing hardware-specific compiles, unlikely), this makes me think that the PS5 exclusives will look much better.
I think factoring that in doesn't entirely negate the discrepancy in raw performance here so I think ultimately differences in IQ will be pretty minor one way or the other. There's no reason to expect any worse scaling than you'd see from a PC right, maybe the baseline is a little tainted but it doesn't mean you won't get scaled up IQ settings. It also potentially means a PC first approach from MS and we certainly don't need to complain about that here at OCN.

Everyone's freaking out buying all the toilet paper and im here just like "i hope i get this corona thing and i hope it kills me"
Panthera
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi
GPU
Msi Gaming X Trio RTX 2080
RAM
16GB 3200CL14 G.skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair HX750 Platinum
Cooling
AMD Wraith Prism
Case
NZXT H700
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU G-sync 1440p165hz IPS
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 TKL w/ Cherry Reds
Mouse
Logitech G703 Hero
Mousepad
Glorious Extended
Audio
Presonus Eris 3.5
Audio
Audio-Technica M50xBT
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Lexi is Dumb; 03-18-2020 at 12:57 PM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:54 PM
The Challenger

Rep: 290 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
As long as they ship at the anticipated price points (PS5 $399 Xbox $499) you're getting pretty much exactly the same price to performance either way.
Most likely those PS5 SSD speeds will cost a lot more than the additional CUs on the XSX GPU. I don't expect them to be $100 apart, but, the XSX is still a good buy at $100 more. And probably Sony has no choice but to undercut the Xbox here... The Xbox is simply too good a package. Not only on the hardware side, but the features are also looking very good.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 49 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lexi is Dumb View Post
I think factoring that in doesn't entirely negate the discrepancy in raw performance here so I think ultimately differences in IQ will be pretty minor one way or the other. There's no reason to expect any worse scaling than you'd see from a PC right, maybe the baseline is a little tainted but it doesn't mean you won't get scaled up IQ settings.
Yeah but think about it - "high-end" PC gaming is relatively trash compared to what "high-end" PCs are capable of, and this is due to lack of hardware-specific software. I think the XSX games will suffer from this just like multiplats always tend to do.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 49 (Unique: 44)
I think factoring that in doesn't entirely negate the discrepancy in raw performance here so I think ultimately differences in IQ will be pretty minor one way or the other. There's no reason to expect any worse scaling than you'd see from a PC right, maybe the baseline is a little tainted but it doesn't mean you won't get scaled up IQ settings. It also potentially means a PC first approach from MS and we certainly don't need to complain about that here at OCN.
This is wrong.

If the X1X had the same CPU and ram as a series X, then it could just scale down graphics with its less powerful GPU and play all the same games but the two consoles are not similar at all, other than that they both use standard PC-like hardware. For sure there would be issues if games are designed with the X1X in mind, however I don't think MS has officially said that the X1X is to be cheaper version of a series X. I think MS has or had plans to release a second console that would basically be a series X with a lesser GPU aimed at 1080p instead of 4K but they may have just dropped that idea since most people have 4K TVs now, or maybe they just don't want to announce it until later.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:13 PM
Untitled.jpg

Quote: Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post
Yeah but think about it - "high-end" PC gaming is relatively trash compared to what "high-end" PCs are capable of, and this is due to lack of hardware-specific software. I think the XSX games will suffer from this just like multiplats always tend to do.
Sure yeah, I think you're right. I guess i'm just not concerned about it cause i'm on a high end pc, im used to it.. and when I pick a console it'll be because it makes sense for supplementing my usual PC gaming habits but in the living room. I just think the XSX will do a better job of that with its software and featureset, game pass game bundles, play anywhere titles, full commitment to first party games on PC meaning all of them should be play anywhere. It just makes a good case for being my HTPC/media center.

The PS5 will have a few better exclusives no doubt, but there's not gonna be enough to prevent it being a dust collector 90% of the time - think it's better suited as an end of cycle buy pro model/all games at once then resell kind of thing.

Everyone's freaking out buying all the toilet paper and im here just like "i hope i get this corona thing and i hope it kills me"
Panthera
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair HX750 Platinum
Cooling
AMD Wraith Prism
Case
NZXT H700
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G703 Hero
Mousepad
Glorious Extended
Audio
Presonus Eris 3.5
Audio
Audio-Technica M50xBT
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 153 (Unique: 129)
Sure yeah, I think you're right. I guess i'm just not concerned about it cause i'm on a high end pc, im used to it.. and when I pick a console it'll be because it makes sense for supplementing my usual PC gaming habits but in the living room. I just think the XSX will do a better job of that with its software and featureset, game pass game bundles, play anywhere titles, full commitment to first party games on PC meaning all of them should be play anywhere. It just makes a good case for being my HTPC/media center.

The PS5 will have a few better exclusives no doubt, but there's not gonna be enough to prevent it being a dust collector 90% of the time - think it's better suited as an end of cycle buy pro model/all games at once then resell kind of thing.
If I don't buy a ps5 at launch I will buy it when God of War comes out, I will not wait in any way to play that game lol.

Edit: I just realized how expensive 2020 is going to be. New GPU and most likely both consoles.....

Quote:Originally Posted by Clinic http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a benchmark thread...if you want pics go look on newegg. Thats what the cards look like. They didn't secretly send me orange ones.
Darkness
(17 items)
CPU
Motherboard
asus z97-ar
GPU
gigabyte 980 ti g1 gaming
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaw
Hard Drive
WD Black
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w Platinum
Case
Corsair 600T SE
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro 64Bit
Monitor
Ultrasharp 27"
Monitor
HP W2338H 23"
Keyboard
Black Widow Ultimate
Mouse
Zowie EC2
Mouse
Zowie (Pure exellence)
Audio
dt880
Audio
sound blaster recon3d
Audio
swan m10
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:20 PM
Untitled.jpg

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
This is wrong.

If the X1X had the same CPU and ram as a series X, then it could just scale down graphics with its less powerful GPU and play all the same games but the two consoles are not similar at all, other than that they both use standard PC-like hardware. For sure there would be issues if games are designed with the X1X in mind, however I don't think MS has officially said that the X1X is to be cheaper version of a series X. I think MS has or had plans to release a second console that would basically be a series X with a lesser GPU aimed at 1080p instead of 4K but they may have just dropped that idea since most people have 4K TVs now, or maybe they just don't want to announce it until later.
MS has said they're going to continue to support the X1X for the first 1-2 years with all the same first party games the Series X gets. 3rd party titles will probably do the same for a while too. My assumption is that games would be scaled up, not scaled down, if what they showed Digital Foundry is true then essentially it's already been seen in practice with a gears 5 port that only took two weeks but runs at higher IQ settings and higher framerates so idk. I guess there's still a lot unknown but I don't think it is wrong to assume the potential to be held back from full specific optimization is there. That said I don't doubt there will be 3rd party games that do fully specifically optimize and in those cases the XSX will be a clear winner.

If they weren't similar enough, they wouldn't have full support for backwards compatibility.. I'm pretty sure in regards to Sony I heard Cerny mention something specifically about making sure the hardware didn't deviate too much.
Aside from that.. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.. this is all still PC architectures.. if it wasn't scalable between the two the implication then is that games on PC targeting RDNA 2 GPUs in the future wouldn't be able to scale down IQ for a polaris 580 or something.. that definitely doesn't make any sense.

Panthera
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair HX750 Platinum
Cooling
AMD Wraith Prism
Case
NZXT H700
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G703 Hero
Mousepad
Glorious Extended
Audio
Presonus Eris 3.5
Audio
Audio-Technica M50xBT
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Lexi is Dumb; 03-18-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in