[Overclock3d] 3950X in a laptop - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Overclock3d] 3950X in a laptop

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
Kind of reminds me of the 12c/24t xeon laptop eurocom made.
It was also overclockable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hello everyone,

this is the official XMG Support, speaking to you directly from the island of Taiwan. I hope you guys don't mind if we join in to answer any of your questions.

Quote: Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
Also... good lord how hot is that chassis gonna be?
Not that hot. Check this out:

Quote: Originally Posted by Coach Mcguirk View Post
I'm more curious about how heavy this things going to be.
2.6kg with CPU, RAM, 1x M.2 SSD and WiFi installed. If you add an HDD, it might border on 2.7kg.

Quote: Originally Posted by MrKoala View Post
A 3990X can maintain decent clocks while not going beyond high-end mobile GPUs in terms of thermal density and overall power budget. So, Clevo, are you listening?
No plans for Threadrippers right now, since those have a different socket and a TDP of up to 280W. With this kind of CPU TDP it's difficult to cram a dGPU in there, reducing the mass appeal of such a system. I'm sure that many users would love a Threadripper laptop with maybe a 50W GPU (think GTX 1650), coupled with one of the already existing 330W external power supplies. But would this sell enough in the mainstream gaming and creative professional market to warrant the investment?

Or...: how much would you be willing to reduce the CPU TDP while still maintaining good clock speeds? Where is the "Max-Q" sweet spot of 3990X? (honest question)

Cheers,
Tom
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 10:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by XMG Support View Post
Or...: how much would you be willing to reduce the CPU TDP while still maintaining good clock speeds? Where is the "Max-Q" sweet spot of 3990X? (honest question)
I'm sure I've seen some reviews that show a power-limit vs clock curve for the 3990X being throttled to different levels, but can't find any of them via Google now. If anyone happens to know one such source, please share a link.

Judging by the under clocking data on lesser SKUs, the sweet range is fairly wide. I think any power limit no lower than AM4 will justify sTRX4 to some extent. A throttled down TR would have amazingly low thermal density despite the total power draw. If Clevo can handle 9900K with stock IHS, they can handle at least 3970X, and possibly 3980X/3990X.

Last edited by MrKoala; 04-04-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 12:13 PM
Hardware Maniac

Rep: 54 (Unique: 41)
It on sale here idk if it legit seem back up
https://bestware.com/en/xmg-apex-15.html

Fx-6300 5.1 5 GHz Overclock Club i7-4790k 5.1 Asus P8P67 |--| i7 2600k 4.5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX ASETEK | DeepCool Matrexx 55 White RGB | Corsair RM 1000X | Crucial MX100 512gb + 4x Kingston 256gb + 2x Wd Blue 4tb | MSI RX 580 8GB |--------| Dell G3 | 1050ti 4Gb | I5 8300H | 2x8GB 2666mhz DDR4 | 2TB Intel nvme |

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 78 (Unique: 46)
I don't know about you guys, but i WANT that
Would Bios mod the h*ck out of it and work with CPPC to reduce thermals
Quote: Originally Posted by XMG Support View Post
Hello everyone,

this is the official XMG Support, speaking to you directly from the island of Taiwan. I hope you guys don't mind if we join in to answer any of your questions.

No plans for Threadrippers right now, since those have a different socket and a TDP of up to 280W. With this kind of CPU TDP it's difficult to cram a dGPU in there, reducing the mass appeal of such a system. I'm sure that many users would love a Threadripper laptop with maybe a 50W GPU (think GTX 1650), coupled with one of the already existing 330W external power supplies. But would this sell enough in the mainstream gaming and creative professional market to warrant the investment?

Cheers,
Tom
Hey Tom, glad to have you here
I think people would benefit from cuda more than from a bigger node GPU
It makes me think if RT cores on a 2070SP are even worth to use - because i can image most people would use it either for:
- Portable Compile powerhorse
- Portable LAN party hosting unit (it would need than 5gbit if possible or dual 2.5gbit)
- CAD render machine and business live demonstration unit (for architects or Car Manufactures)
- Dual powertable streaming machine, be it as backpack unit or game + render unit for the desk

It makes me think, could you guys even get a T-Topology 4x1 Channel PCB made for sTRX4 ?
Threadripper with CPPC and fixed powertarget of 180W (the 3960X i have in mind)
Would make a great workstation - expected 3.8Ghz allcore boost at near 0.95v with vSOC at 1025mV
This should in reality be perfectly acceptable and have huge surface area for cooling
But maan would this drive production cost high, and might go into the 4500$ range which is un-affordable
3K might work, but then PCB manufacturing cost would be far to high to make it worth

3900X and 3950X models are a great option i personal think
There's a lot of finetuning you can do to get at least 50-60W away from stock shipping CPUs without killing single % of performance
Looking forward to it~

SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen global #1 | Twitter
Personal Records
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:14 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
It's a downsized desktop, these usually use socketed desktop CPUs. Not BGAs/soldered on or mobile CPUs.
The problem is, size, weight, heat, power. There are not that many people who need or want such a brick to lug around. Especially when they can get 4800H etc. now and those are beastly enough for a laptop.
Doing compute on a laptop should be last resort thing, use a build/render server instead or get a desktop.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:26 AM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 78 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Doing compute on a laptop should be last resort thing, use a build/render server instead or get a desktop.
Agreeing fully - even more when this machines will cost a fortune
The only usecase i can imagine are travel workers and business man who need this kind of perf
Same as pentesters
I would be happy to have one, it would have good usecases ~ even tho it's far out of what i'd ever spend on a "notebook"

SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen global #1 | Twitter
Personal Records
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:26 AM
Still kinda lost

Rep: 120 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by Veii View Post
I don't know about you guys, but i WANT that
Would Bios mod the h*ck out of it and work with CPPC to reduce thermals

I think people would benefit from cuda more than from a bigger node GPU
It makes me think if RT cores on a 2070SP are even worth to use - because i can image most people would use it either for:
- Portable Compile powerhorse
- Portable LAN party hosting unit (it would need than 5gbit if possible or dual 2.5gbit)
- CAD render machine and business live demonstration unit (for architects or Car Manufactures)
- Dual powertable streaming machine, be it as backpack unit or game + render unit for the desk

It makes me think, could you guys even get a T-Topology 4x1 Channel PCB made for sTRX4 ?
Threadripper with CPPC and fixed powertarget of 180W (the 3960X i have in mind)
Would make a great workstation - expected 3.8Ghz allcore boost at near 0.95v with vSOC at 1025mV
This should in reality be perfectly acceptable and have huge surface area for cooling
But maan would this drive production cost high, and might go into the 4500$ range which is un-affordable
3K might work, but then PCB manufacturing cost would be far to high to make it worth

There's a lot of finetuning you can do to get at least 50-60W away from stock shipping CPUs without killing single % of performance
Looking forward to it~
I am sure the Clevo chassis will be able to handle a 3950x @ 4ghz all cores with max fans.

And if the bios is unlocked then I guess a CCX OC would even take it up a notch, with an unlocked 2080 super @ 200w.

OMG I CANT WAIT FOR THAT BEAST

Godzilla HAF red
(18 items)
The Son Of Godzilla
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG UNIFY X570
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING BLACK
RAM
G.Skill Trident NEO 32GB 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
Hard Drive
WD blue 2tb SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650w
Cooling
Nh-D15 Chromax
Case
CM H500
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
LG24GM77-b
Keyboard
Corsair K95 platinum
Mouse
Logitech G502 SE
Mousepad
Red Gear
Audio
AD900x
Audio
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Audio
Schiit Modi 3
Audio
JDS ATOM
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Adclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
It's a downsized desktop, these usually use socketed desktop CPUs. Not BGAs/soldered on or mobile CPUs.
The problem is, size, weight, heat, power. There are not that many people who need or want such a brick to lug around. Especially when they can get 4800H etc. now and those are beastly enough for a laptop.
I lug around a P870-TM-G wich is somewhere around the 7 or so kilogram mark, It uses 2 powersupplies (though i often only use one) It has 2 1070s and an 8700k, All of them are overclocked with a 120hz 1440p panel, It's called a back pack people we used to use them, I take it with me to work daily

Click For Awesome (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule go_quote.gif

Me and my roommates watched a standalone video of a guy demonstrating it on YouTube. I lost it when he started stroking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 go_quote.gif

I like robo-butts and I can not lie, microchips with a great wave line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi go_quote.gif

I honestly don't think there's any way to explain it without it sounding weird or one's imagination taking a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van go_quote.gif

I can't even remember the last time I grounded myself before handling stuff.
Unless it's the middle of the winter and I'm moonwalking across my carpet in socks before tearing a PC apart I'm not worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan go_quote.gif

A laptop is still a PC, albeit a portable one. You can tell how many laptops there are by looking at the 1366*768. Most people don't play...biggrin.gif

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)

Hi Veii, great to be here!

I don't know. But I forwarded yours and MrKoala's post verbatim to our rep at the ODM including source and some comments of my own.

Current pre-order statistics:
  • 30% 3600
  • 40% 3700X
  • 30% 3900
No pre-order on 3950X yet, but the sample size is still too small.
Should we include 3900X in the BTO configurator? We haven't tested it yet. I hope it won't run hotter than 3950X.

Looking forward to it~

Quote: Originally Posted by Awsan View Post
OMG I CANT WAIT FOR THAT BEAST

You guys are gonna buy one? Feel free to send me a PM.

BR,
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in