[AnandTech] SK Hynix: Up to DDR5-8400 at 1.1 Volts - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[AnandTech] SK Hynix: Up to DDR5-8400 at 1.1 Volts

post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 345 (Unique: 285)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
DDR5 looking more promising, hopefully enabling ECC and ECS for consumer sticks by default as well.
The article makes it sound like both are baked into the spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 02:37 AM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 629 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
The article makes it sound like both are baked into the spec.
DDR5 RAM will have ECC and ECS built in. For servers the high bandwith and lower operating voltage will make a huge difference, it will save enormous amounts of power in server farms.

But watch Intel come up with a way to segment the market anyway and enable ECC only in their Xeon chips.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 12:41 PM
486DX2 66

Rep: 416 (Unique: 135)
Awesome. Finally new memory worth waiting for.. has the standard been published yet? I've heard whispers of onboard vrm for high end parts.

Quote: Originally Posted by mAs81 View Post
Laughs in DDR3 lol
Squeaks in DDR2 1066

Can't hear my delta fans over my Death Metal crew
I Just Found Out My PCs Have A Power Button. Meh, Still Not Shutting Down Club Member #00001
In the beginning were the words and the words made the world. I am the words. The words are everything. Where the words end the world ends. You cannot go forward in the absence of space. Repeat.
HAF Baked
(16 items)
TualaDon
(13 items)
CPU
3700x [CSCoder4ever Edition]
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X [Iamjanco Edition]
RAM
DDR4 3600 CamoRamo [Pook Edition]
Hard Drive
MX500 1TB m.2
Power Supply
evga g2
Cooling
h100i
Case
Corsair 900D [J7SC EDITION]
Operating System
Windows 10
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04
Monitor
Asus XG35V
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Windows 95 compatible serial ball mouse (srs)
Mousepad
Gigabyte Ghost
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi titanium pro fatality edition
CPU
FX 8320
Motherboard
Asus
GPU
Sapphire Tri-X 290
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 1600
Hard Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922
Operating System
Debian 9 & Win7
Monitor
Asus VH236H
Keyboard
Ancient Dell Mechanical
Mouse
Corsair MX65
Mouse
Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy
CPU
Pentium III 1400-S Tualatin
Motherboard
GA-6VXC7-4X-P (Chinese Clone Edition)
GPU
Gainward GTX 5900
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar 39000
Optical Drive
LG DVD/RW
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windoze 98
Audio
Sound Blaster Pro2
Audio
Sound Blaster AWE 32 CT3600 (AWE32 w/ Vibra 16 chipset)
Audio
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:39 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 150 (Unique: 98)

A humble bandwidth reminder.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post

A humble bandwidth reminder.
Is the Xbox System X system memory divided into separate buses so that 6 GiB is dedicated to the CPU and 10 GiB dedicated to the GPU? I mean divided in the sense that memory bandwidth is not shared between the GPU and CPU and the GPU and CPU can be reading/writing separately to the memory pools simultaneously.
post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 02:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 132 (Unique: 88)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Unless they can do it on quad channel
why u acting like thatd be hard? ddr 8400 is only 4200mhz, ddr6400 is 3200mhz. this is a next generation memory product. maybe even the generation after that.

(If y'all) ain’t ready for the old murder, then what you gonna do with the new me?
post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 02:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
ECC on everything would be excellent. Just gotta convince AMD, Intel, and the motherboard partners that it would be good for them...

Silence in the Snow
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition/Hydro Copper
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
2x WD 1 TB SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G3 1000W
Cooling
EK PE360 + Hardware Labs Black Ice GTS360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 AM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 629 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
ECC on everything would be excellent. Just gotta convince AMD, Intel, and the motherboard partners that it would be good for them...
The only consumer AMD chips that haven't had ECC enabled were the FMx parts, my decade old 955BE runs ECC RAM in my server. Intel are the ones who segment the market and force people wanting ECC to get Xeon chips.

Board makers are annoying when it comes to ECC. Usually I buy Asus as Asus boards are compatible with ECC, whereas MSI, Gigabyte and others intentionally disable it. You can check this yourself and compare Asus low end TUF boards with the Carbon AC line and see that even Asus' rubbish boards are compatible with ECC, whereas MSI's high end ones are not.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13091...otherboards/16

Quote:
The MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC has support for both non-ECC and ECC DDR4 memory, although installed ECC memory will operate in non-ECC mode.
A small list of Asus boards that support ECC:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...n-(ECC-Enabled)

With support I mean have bit checking and correction enabled and working.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb

Last edited by Liranan; 04-06-2020 at 12:53 AM.
post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 03:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Is the Xbox System X system memory divided into separate buses so that 6 GiB is dedicated to the CPU and 10 GiB dedicated to the GPU? I mean divided in the sense that memory bandwidth is not shared between the GPU and CPU and the GPU and CPU can be reading/writing separately to the memory pools simultaneously.
No, it's still unified memory but developers have the ability to choose what data goes to which memory pool.
post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 150 (Unique: 98)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
No, it's still unified memory but developers have the ability to choose what data goes to which memory pool.
This is very disconcerting. As more open world games become bandwidth dependent those same developer will have one of 2 options.
1. Spend more resources to back port it back to PC. Which might result in nearly all PC derivatives being slower then console.
2. They don't and move on to the next project.

The number one sandbox game that I'm very concerned with is the next Grand Theft Auto (Honorable Mentions: Saint Row, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Just Cause, Forza, etc)

Another aspect of FPS gaming that becomes a concern for PC gamers are those sandbox games that are on "rails". However, still look open world. But limits you to traverse in a certain direction. Barriers like Walls, mountains, hill sides, building, etc make it impossible to travel left/right, etc. Other tricks are having to go through a building were only certain doors are open while other doors, don't function. In other words those kind of maps give you the impression of sandbox environment but you aren't able to interact with every aspect of the sandbox environment.

With these memory constraints removed, among other constraints, the whole idea of sandbox games on "rails" become moot. They can simply be an actual sandbox game. With "arrow guides" pointing you in the direction you need to go when needed. And that isn't all, just the tip of the iceburg...you can have more NPCs doing different things: land, air and sea assets traversing the environment, etc. in ways not yet experienced.

We've already seen what the PS5 can do with storage and memory bandwidth with the map alleged to be the next Spiderman game. And the PS5 is alleged to be much slower then the next gen xbox.
Start at 0:32 to see the difference.
Now, if Spiderman, alleged game in development in this video, is brought to the PC will the game play experience be the same? IMHO, no.

Here is GTA V to show you what the developer's vision is when it comes to memory bandwidth:

Don't get me wrong. With DDR5 it should blow these results out the water. But what will you expect the performance to be when bench marked using next gen consoles?

Last edited by EastCoast; 04-06-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in