[Anand]CPUs AMD’s New EPYC 7F52 Reviewed - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Anand]CPUs AMD’s New EPYC 7F52 Reviewed

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 PM
What goes here?

Rep: 142 (Unique: 101)
That's the reason why I have a spare genuine windows 2019 key that I never used. Trying to get everything to work right together with the bare metal hypervisor and I ended up just running Debian on my rackmount home lab setup. No more messing around trying to get half functional software to work - It just works like it should and does what I need it to do.

CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 255 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
still curious who's dream chip this is. What segment/technology specifically prefers lower core higher clock operations.

someone drop some knowledge on us.
Well, it's close to perfect for my needs at work - where I need a metric tonne of system RAM, but a lot of the work is shuffled off to GPUs so actual CPU cores are less essential. Further, the bits that are CPU-based tend to be low-thread affairs, so higher clock speeds are better. For some data, 256GB RAM per (physical) core is what I'm looking at.

Quote: Originally Posted by tictoc View Post
The target segment for chips like these is for people/companies that are paying for per core licenses for OS's and applications. This is becoming more common for commercial software.
Partially. High system RAM, GPU compute boxes are the other market segment.

A box with this CPU, an Asrock Rack ROMED8-T2 and 2TB RAM (when 256GB LRDIMMs become available, 1TB until that point) with two or more Quadro RTX8000's in there is just about my current dream setup. If the board would have room (physically) for a pair of the Samsung PM983 7.68TB NVMe SSDs as well... oh boy.

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:49 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Welcome to the scam that M$tupid are running. This is one of the reasons why Window is (almost) non-existent in the server market and even they, themselves, don't run their server OS on their Azure cloud servers.
i know all about the azure billing model. I just didn't realize local software was doing this as well

Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
Well, it's close to perfect for my needs at work - where I need a metric tonne of system RAM, but a lot of the work is shuffled off to GPUs so actual CPU cores are less essential. Further, the bits that are CPU-based tend to be low-thread affairs, so higher clock speeds are better. For some data, 256GB RAM per (physical) core is what I'm looking at.

Partially. High system RAM, GPU compute boxes are the other market segment.

A box with this CPU, an Asrock Rack ROMED8-T2 and 2TB RAM (when 256GB LRDIMMs become available, 1TB until that point) with two or more Quadro RTX8000's in there is just about my current dream setup. If the board would have room (physically) for a pair of the Samsung PM983 7.68TB NVMe SSDs as well... oh boy.
thank you, sir!

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 92)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
still curious who's dream chip this is. What segment/technology specifically prefers lower core higher clock operations.

someone drop some knowledge on us.
I thought that was a desire for the HFT crowd.
At least that is what was reasoned when Intel did it with the low core high frequency special order Xeons. IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

You're just nitpicking words now. I was talking about in terms of performance, those are the only measurements that matter. Not IPC or clock speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

If Bulldozer came out of the box at 5 ghz and overclocked to 6 ghz on air, no one would have said it was a failure.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:32 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
i like that answer too

AMD stock's gonna be triple digits soon.

gonna lol when stock market just keeps climbing thru all the global main street recession. if that happens, you know why? They know they're screwed once trump is out in a few more years.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 07:15 PM
What goes here?

You guys that follow what's going on in the world are like mystics to me. I feel like the future is so uncertain I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and predict how things will go. Though like with computing, we are going to get more cores each new revision so that's easy enough to see.

CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:42 PM
PC Enthusiast

Rep: 31 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
You guys that follow what's going on in the world are like mystics to me. I feel like the future is so uncertain I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and predict how things will go. Though like with computing, we are going to get more cores each new revision so that's easy enough to see.
I'd guess that we won't see more cores until possibly 5nm chips on AMD's side, along with DDR5 on new sockets. They basically maxed the number of cores for their current design layouts already, the next few releases will be achitecture based improvements and possibly chipset improvements.

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:56 PM
What goes here?

I suppose that's not too bad then. At least we have the ability to go up to 64 cores on the ultra high end of systems. For now 16 cores from AMD and 18 with the 10980XE is a pretty sweet deal for the price.

CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 09:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Welcome to the scam that M$tupid are running. This is one of the reasons why Window is (almost) non-existent in the server market and even they, themselves, don't run their server OS on their Azure cloud servers.
1. VMWare don't charge on a per core license model.... oh wait they do! Microsoft are just one of many of the big software vendors that charge on a per core basis for certain products.

2. 'Server market' is a very broad term. In some segments Microsoft have very small low market share, in other segments they dominate. There is no single 'server market', only a child would think that.

3. And yes they do, Microsoft do use Windows based OSs to power Azure. That said, Microsoft are now one of the biggest companies investing into Linux. Look at Git, PowerShell, Windows Subsystem for Linux, SQL, Azure, .Net, and from memory Microsoft are even the biggest fiscal donor to the Linux foundation. How is this a bad thing? Oh I see, you were trying to make it out like Microsoft don't use Windows because it's inferior, rather than the truth that Microsoft themselves have been investing heavily into Linux for years.

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Politically incorrect

Rep: 629 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by matthew87 View Post
1. VMWare don't charge on a per core license model.... oh wait they do! Microsoft are just one of many of the big software vendors that charge on a per core basis for certain products.

2. 'Server market' is a very broad term. In some segments Microsoft have very small low market share, in other segments they dominate. There is no single 'server market', only a child would think that.

3. And yes they do, Microsoft do use Windows based OSs to power Azure. That said, Microsoft are now one of the biggest companies investing into Linux. Look at Git, PowerShell, Windows Subsystem for Linux, SQL, Azure, .Net, and from memory Microsoft are even the biggest fiscal donor to the Linux foundation. How is this a bad thing? Oh I see, you were trying to make it out like Microsoft don't use Windows because it's inferior, rather than the truth that Microsoft themselves have been investing heavily into Linux for years.
No mainframe or large server runs Windows as it's just not made for that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Windows becomes a proprietory Linux distro.

Comparing VMWare with Windows? Sounds rather smart until you realise that VMWare isn't an OS, unless you mean ESXi.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in