[PCGamer] ASRock figured out a way to overclock Intel's locked non-K Comet Lake CPUs - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[PCGamer] ASRock figured out a way to overclock Intel's locked non-K Comet Lake CPUs

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:09 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 827 (Unique: 464)
Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymac93 View Post
Isn't this just like the old "multi-core enhancement" feature? All they are doing is setting the TDP higher so the CPU is always in turbo, right? What is new? My Haswell machine has this.
i believe it is very close to that. i used a z77 to increase the all core speed of 3.4Ghz to the 3.8Ghz for single core on a i5-2400.
i haven't google fu'ed that exact reason being lazy, recently anandtech published:
Intel’s 10th Gen Comet Lake for Desktops: Skylake-S Hits 10 Cores and 5.3 GHz
Quote:
As explained in many of our other articles, motherboard manufacturers have the option to disregard Intel’s turbo limit recommendations. With an appropriately built motherboard, a manufacturer might enforce an all-core 5.3 GHz scenario, regardless of the temperature, for an unlimited time – if the user can cool it sufficiently. This is why we mentioned the 320-350 W turbo power early on in the article, because some of the motherboard manufacturers we’ve talked to have said they will try to do this. Choosing a motherboard just got more complex if a user wants the best out of their new Comet Lake processor.
i suggest further reading; iv'e only looked at asrocks PR. . . . however for the most part it doesn't look you can clock any chip past the intel *specs* (ie using a Z chipset to increase the multi past single core speed). though you are technically still OCing.)

but the maybe most import point (according to ASROCK is YMMV)
Quote:
** BFB frequency performance results may vary between different CPUs, hardware configurations and motherboard VRM design.
*and cooling matters

idk, tbh, intel should have this with ryzen being able to adjust clock speeds w/not just based on chip series (K/KS/KFC) and one chipset (Z) . . . it really wouldn't hurt the enthusiast market.

maybe some who think they're enthusiasts but still keep "stock" settings.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 05:05 PM
AMD Acolyte

Rep: 77 (Unique: 71)
So this is just the marketing team renaming something that has been around for almost a decade now. GG ASRock.

"We should make it clear that NVIDIA is a good company, and we respect their attempted transition into being a smartphone company." - Roy Taylor, AMD

BF3 STATS/BF4 STATS
z87
(20 items)
Media/File server
(14 items)
CPU
Core i5 4670k - [email protected]
Motherboard
MSI z87m GAMING
GPU
ASUS RX5700
RAM
A-DATA 2x4GB DDR3
RAM
PNY 2x4GB DDR3
Hard Drive
XPG SX8100
Hard Drive
Seagate 3TB
Power Supply
Antec TruePower TP-550
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia + Cougar VortexPWM
Case
Silverstone PS07
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO
Operating System
MANJARO 20
Monitor
Viewsonic VX3211
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
Mouse
Logitech G402
Mouse
Reflex Lab Pro 32 Heavy
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO-80
Audio
Yamaha RX-V663
Audio
Micca MB42x Bookshelf Speakers
Audio
SMSL Q5
CPU
Intel i5 3470
Motherboard
Proprietary Dell
RAM
8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST6000DM003
Hard Drive
8TB External HDD
Optical Drive
Lite-On Blue Ray WH14NS40
Power Supply
Corsair CX-430
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO
Monitor
TCL 55S517
Keyboard
Logitech K400
Audio
Sony STR-DN1070
Audio
Definitive Technology BP8 Tower Speakers
Audio
Definitive Technology 2002 Series Center Speaker
Audio
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Bookshelf Speakers
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 06:08 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Some people just love that blue box and will buy Intel regardless.

Edit: I know a guy who buys Intel no matter what simply because Intel have the best gaming CPU: the KFC. He doesn't care what kind of cooling it requires or how much it costs, it's the bestestest so he will get it regardless.
blue geode

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
ASRock bringing back BCLK overclock to the newer gen? Nice. This is the reason my i5 6500 is overclocked. If intel is trying to stop this again, intel have no idea what the market is about.

Main Rig
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 6500 @ 4256MHz
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6
GPU
Palit JetStream GTX1070
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 2x4GB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Kingston UV400 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Blue 500GB HDD
Optical Drive
LiteOn DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Cooling
Phanteks PH-F140SP case fan
Cooling
Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 case fan
Case
Fractal Define R5
Operating System
Win10 Education Edition 64-bit
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 100
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK mini
Audio
HiVi Swan M50W
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 04:48 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW

Rep: 357 (Unique: 277)
Derbauer made a video on how things work. He has some inside information and clearly explained that :

1. The chipset is not as important as a decade ago. It acts more as a hardware validation process nowadays. This was defined by INTEL and the chipset will verify if the processor is allowed to execute certain things. In this case, the chipset knows this type of overclock is not allowed yet Asrock has bypassed this. Not in the terms agreed between Intel and Asrock.

2. Motherboard manufacturers aim at making profit and for them x% extra on a certain motherboard is not as relevant as their whole line-up. Therefore, Asrock will need to comply as their whole product portfolio is in danger. We know what happens to companies that get shafted by other companies.

3. Contrary to popular demand, new sockets are more cost effective for motherboard manufacturers as they do not have to spend the manpower on maintaining older generations. Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte favour INTEL's strategy and documents have leaked where they are actually begging INTEL to release new sockets.

AUDIO: DENON D-2000 -MARK LAWTON & FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568& REGA PLANAR 3 / FOCAL UTOPIA HEADPHONES NEXT / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
CARS : BMW M3 CSL E46 / AUDI A4 2018 3.0 TDI MTM tuned (340 HP) / Focus RS MK3 2017 NB - full option (400 HP) / Ford Fiesta Cherry Red - 1.0 Ecoboost @145 HP / Audi Q3 2018 - 1.4 TFSI @ 150 HP

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 08:04 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
It's base clock lift not turbo clock lift. Without being a nobody manufacturer they can't go any offer BCLK etc. OC that would allow any CPU to go fly anywhere you want as Intel is meh and forbids these legally for any partner they have.
Technically the Intel locks are a joke in some ways but they lock it legally so no big mobo maker that has an business agreement with them will to release it for long.

New sockets suck, the only reason why mobo makers may beg for a new socket is so that people HAVE TO buy a new motherboard = profit instead of keeping their older one. It's not more effective maintenance wise, what a damn joke, with a new socket and mobo they then to spend even more on development and maintenance of the extra products. It's all about extra new sales. And they can get the sales without screwing up socket support, such as AMD is doing, new chipsets bring new features to mobos and support for newer CPUs while older mobos lack those features and may not support the latest CPUs.

One would have to find some small rogue China mobo maker to get these sort of "extra OC" features and CPU support, same as older Intel CPUs supported both DDR3 and DDR4 at the same time and some newer CPUs work fine on old quad core era mobos/chipsets. You just can't get it from big mobo makers due to legal vs Intel.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 435 (Unique: 290)
I've always loved asrock, they are always giving it all for the end user.

I remember back in the day when I was running an AGP and PCI-E card on my 939 rig and one was AMD (Unlocked 16 pipes 850PE) and the other Nvidia 8800 series.

I had the only AMD score on the Cuda benchmarks page.

BTW, NvIDIA bought the chipset (ULI-1695 IIRC) so that the boards could not be made to run both anymore.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in