[TH] Upset Investors Accuse Nvidia of Masking $1 Billion in Mining GPU Revenue as Gaming - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TH] Upset Investors Accuse Nvidia of Masking $1 Billion in Mining GPU Revenue as Gaming

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 AM
mfw

Rep: 498 (Unique: 233)
Quote: Originally Posted by clannagh View Post
Samsung Electronics is by far their biggest profit earner.

However, when talking about Samsung it is still important to distinguish between Samsung Electronics (which is huge in its own right) and Samsung the conglomerate which also includes entities like Samsung Heavy Industries SHI (one of the biggest ship builders in the world), Samsung Engineering (a multinational construction company), Samsung C&T (fashion, food, housing, leisure, and bio businesses) and Samsung Life (Global Fortune 500 insurance company).

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by latexyankee View Post

During the crypto-craze, coin miners would buy up every GPU they were able to obtain, which lead to massive shortages and severely increased the prices of graphics cards to levels at which gamers wouldn't be buying them anymore.

Yeaaaa...were still paying those prices. Before all this the top card was $500-$700. Not $1250. It will never be the same. The took the risk and priced the flagships at +1k and mouthbreathers ate it up. Sad that my gpu costs as much as every other component combined.
Don't underestimate consoles and the tanking economy. I was def in awe going from a 970 to my 5700, seeing the 2070 S at $500. Even AMD declaring mid range is now $300-$350. Eh and I have allergies mouth ftw despite my big nose. What we got a 5% gain over the 1080 ti going to the 2080 at the same $700 msrp? The excuse of oh they were high demand flattened out as the low demand did not have the same response.

I really could see a KB/M friendly console being quite a bit more tempting over a PC.

1. Everyone has the same hardware.
2. Everyone has the same fps.
3. It's harder to cheat.
4. Consoles only have to optimize one set of hardware giving greater gains for less effort.
5. You can resell games and or buy used games.
6. No more Windows.
7. Plug and play no bs drivers.
8. Default 4k streaming. (pc is default 720p netflix hulu etc on most browsers)

I love my PC but.... If I was in charge of Console marketing.... The PC pay to win master race falls flat on it's face. Hopefully Nvidia has an ace up their sleeve, but seeing intel... Doesn't give much hope.

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2035 Gaming Ram 950 with a 20$ Chinese waterblock on the, Ryzen 3700x 4.25 ghz, 15$ Chinese waterblock, 3200 ddr3 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU. 6 gallon res + back of a toilet tank with 240 mm radiator.

Last edited by treetops422; 05-20-2020 at 01:32 AM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 15)

During the crypto-craze, coin miners would buy up every GPU they were able to obtain, which lead to massive shortages and severely increased the prices of graphics cards to levels at which gamers wouldn't be buying them anymore.

Yeaaaa...were still paying those prices. Before all this the top card was $500-$700. Not $1250. It will never be the same. The took the risk and priced the flagships at +1k and mouthbreathers ate it up. Sad that my gpu costs as much as every other component combined.
Heisenberg LOL.

8700k @ 5.1 GHz - 0 AVX @ 1.386v Dynamic Offset w/ EK Monoblock + Delid | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | EVGA 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra @ 2070 Mhz core, 8025 MHz memory @ 1.019v w/ 375W FTW3 vbios + Phanteks Glacier Block | EK CE 420 + EK XE 360 | 2x16GB G-Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz 17-20-20-38 | 2 TB Sabrent Rocket | Corsair RM1000x | Thermaltake View 71 | Alienware AW3418DW + Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (for 3D Vision) on Amazon Basics Arms | Win10 Pro 1809
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Exactly this. How do you prove Nvidia knew the percentage of new GPUs sold in China that were being used for mining?
China? People were buying them up here in the U.S. for mini-crypto mining farms.

8700k @ 5.1 GHz - 0 AVX @ 1.386v Dynamic Offset w/ EK Monoblock + Delid | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | EVGA 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra @ 2070 Mhz core, 8025 MHz memory @ 1.019v w/ 375W FTW3 vbios + Phanteks Glacier Block | EK CE 420 + EK XE 360 | 2x16GB G-Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz 17-20-20-38 | 2 TB Sabrent Rocket | Corsair RM1000x | Thermaltake View 71 | Alienware AW3418DW + Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (for 3D Vision) on Amazon Basics Arms | Win10 Pro 1809
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
The took the risk and priced the flagships at +1k and mouthbreathers ate it up.

(...)

Sad that my gpu costs as much as every other component combined.
Why hello there, fellow mouthbreather.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Old and Crochity

Rep: 272 (Unique: 201)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mooncheese View Post
China? People were buying them up here in the U.S. for mini-crypto mining farms.
Not to nearly the level that was being done in China. They were selling directly from factory to Chinese farming facilities some owned by the Chinese government. If you knew the real numbers you would crap yourself. I have a friend in Chengdu that said he say a truck with them just piled in the back when BTC tanked. They werent even selling them, just throwing them into dumps.

Quote:Originally Posted by Deadboy90 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You want true privacy? Go live in the woods with no electronics like in the early 19th century. Otherwise stop complaining.

In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post
They werent even selling them, just throwing them into dumps.
Chances are they got a huge bulk discount from Nvidia on condition they never dumped them onto the 2nd hand market and disposed of them when taken out of service.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 435 (Unique: 290)
Quote: Originally Posted by clannagh View Post
Samsung Electronics is by far their biggest profit earner.

However, when talking about Samsung it is still important to distinguish between Samsung Electronics (which is huge in its own right) and Samsung the conglomerate which also includes entities like Samsung Heavy Industries SHI (one of the biggest ship builders in the world), Samsung Engineering (a multinational construction company), Samsung C&T (fashion, food, housing, leisure, and bio businesses) and Samsung Life (Global Fortune 500 insurance company). Most of which also make money. SHI not so much but mainly due to construction delay penalties messing up there bottom line.

I was not aware , thank you.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 435 (Unique: 290)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post
Not to nearly the level that was being done in China. They were selling directly from factory to Chinese farming facilities some owned by the Chinese government. If you knew the real numbers you would crap yourself. I have a friend in Chengdu that said he say a truck with them just piled in the back when BTC tanked. They werent even selling them, just throwing them into dumps.
Pics or it didn't happen.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 08:30 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
well - we do know that some of these chinese miners (like the no i/o models) made it into second hand american markets via ebay & the like.

i never heard about them going out for shredding though.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in