[YT]Corsair XG7 leaking GPU block design flaw! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[YT]Corsair XG7 leaking GPU block design flaw!

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 14)
I recall people complaining about the poor quality build on those when they came out so I'm not really surprised unfortunately. That top bit has always been a weak spot on GPU blocks ever since they started chopping it off for sli link bridges.

Kanna
(13 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 129)
That looks like it would require extra bends and too much work

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 73 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
That looks like it would require extra bends and too much work

...possibly, but it really depends how your system / cooling is set up. In my current build (Spoiler), it would have worked great and reduce the number of bends

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
I own some Corsair things
900D
220t
2 k70 keyboards
2 pro mice
Ax1200i
Xg7
RGB eco system in the xg7 build.

Zottys response is 100% inappropriate.

Corsair, you're ******* up by not behaving as the premium brand you try to present yourselves to be.

I gave you a chance going with the XG7 instead of an kyrosgraphics next on my 1080ti. It works great, and I don't have leak issues, but your response will limit future purchases.

A 1000D was in the near future to replace the 900d... Will be going phanteks now.

Don't be snarky ****s when the consumer base is largely made up of enthusiasts with deep pockets who like being catered to. This was a chance to shine and you ****ed it.

Put a leash on Zotty.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 37)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Clearly not a design flaw but a design that can be improved. Jay's video shows that he's stressing that part to force it to leak. That's like complaining a phone will bend if you forcefully bend it or sit on it. They aren't designed for that abuse.
First thought was iPhone bendgate... kinda stupid way to carry phone that can make it bend if you sit on it...

Same here... Looking for a hole... Also aint that strange that 2 out od 3 videos are made by two most clickbaity morons from "IT" part of YouTube?

Ryzen 5 3600 | ASUS TUF B450 PRO | 2x16 GOODRAM IRDM PRO 3600Mhz DDR4 | MSI VENTUS GTX 1660 Ti | PNY 1TB NVMe SSD | IN WIN 303 | be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 500W
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 37)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
So, having watched Jay's and Major's videos integrally, it seems to me the blocks were underengineered. They work well enough for "normal" scenarios, but any decent designer/engineer will tell you you need to account for weird usage if you want to avoid problems down the road. EK seem to have done that, but, then again, they've gone through QC issues of their own (and, at times, also mismanaged the criticism).

With that in mind, that Corsair rep/support sounds incompetent. You need some humility and ability to manage situations emotionally intelligently if you want to represent a big corporation, and that's not what they've done.
So you are telling me that i should buy a sports type of a tyre set and try to do offroad, than complain it's underdesigned? Only in murrica people have to pet idiots like jay.

Ryzen 5 3600 | ASUS TUF B450 PRO | 2x16 GOODRAM IRDM PRO 3600Mhz DDR4 | MSI VENTUS GTX 1660 Ti | PNY 1TB NVMe SSD | IN WIN 303 | be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 500W
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:11 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 73 (Unique: 31)
I agree with @tcclaviger re. Zotty's response...no matter what the technical arguments are / aren't, he made it much worse for Corsair's business . Also, no matter what I (or anyone else) think/s about Linus in general, the relevant Linus vid posted up front was the more convincing for me as he did nothing too extreme.

...I do in fact think that leaving out the third (center) screw / bolt can certainly contribute to a technical weakness. With only two on either side, you have pressure on only one side of each of the two o-rings...but with a third (center) one, the o-rings are secured on both sides, in addition to more overall rigidity of that mount. In fact, all the GPU blocks I own by various manufacturers (some for 8 yrs plus), have three screws @ that mount instead of two.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
...possibly, but it really depends how your system / cooling is set up. In my current build (Spoiler), it would have worked great and reduce the number of bends

Spoiler!
Oh yeah, that would be great for a build like that one.

I like the serial GPU plumbing you got going on there.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:18 PM
mfw

Rep: 498 (Unique: 233)
Quote: Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post
So you are telling me that i should buy a sports type of a tyre set and try to do offroad, than complain it's underdesigned? Only in murrica people have to pet idiots like jay.
I'm not telling you anything. Meanwhile, though, EK got some nice publicity. Jay's big enough that Corsair probably lost more than anyone.

But if your point is that they're in the right, well... I hope being right trades well.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 54)
Quote: Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post
if you watch linus video, he wasn't even trying to test for it and he got the same leak when he was trying to pull the tube up gently to attached his cpu tube that was slightly short. he had to go back up into his attic to find a longer tube to use. he wasn't even doing anything near the pressure that jaw was doing. the corsair block is clearly designed for absolutely no extra pressure pulling on the fitting at all.
but you can sit there and mock america like a stereotypical, smug european.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in