[Windows Central] Microsoft discusses Xbox Series X backward compatibility, includes HDR and up to 120 FPS on older games - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Windows Central] Microsoft discusses Xbox Series X backward compatibility, includes HDR and up to 120 FPS on older games

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post
Lol no way, maybe some Sony games come to PC years after they were on the console but they'll never get to Xbox. Also Sony makes too much $$$ on PS+, the console sales barely make money, its all subscriptions these days.
I think Horizon will soon come to PC and was about 2 years? Maybe in the future the window would be shorter.

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised with the PS+ but do we have some stats or at least vague info from Sony saying so? PS+ is so cheap in the US and is usually below $ 40. Seems rather small for an entire year but I do admit I don't fully understand the economics of it.

update:

Horizon was released on Feb 2017 and it'll be more than 3 years before its PC release if it still comes out this 2020.

Here's hoping that gets reduced to 2 years during next gen.

If I were Sony, I'd update the graphics with Guerrilla's version of Unreal Engine 5 features and show it off using PC's RDNA2.

Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
If the trend of PC releases continues you will have your wish.
Haven't seen exactly what the kbm support is for the Xbox One but if the Series S/X allow fantastic support of it with really granular control that's able to remap, do macros, remove and tweak accelerations, snapping and more, I'd delay my PC upgrades more and more. Still a win for MS, I think.

Last edited by amtelocn1; 06-04-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 02:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by amtelocn1 View Post
I think Horizon will soon come to PC and was about 2 years? Maybe in the future the window would be shorter.

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised with the PS+ but do we have some stats or at least vague info from Sony saying so? PS+ is so cheap in the US and is usually below $ 40. Seems rather small for an entire year but I do admit I don't fully understand the economics of it.

update:

Horizon was released on Feb 2017 and it'll be more than 3 years before its PC release if it still comes out this 2020.

Here's hoping that gets reduced to 2 years during next gen.

If I were Sony, I'd update the graphics with Guerrilla's version of Unreal Engine 5 features and show it off using PC's RDNA2.

Haven't seen exactly what the kbm support is for the Xbox One but if the Series S/X allow fantastic support of it with really granular control that's able to remap, do macros, remove and tweak accelerations, snapping and more, I'd delay my PC upgrades more and more. Still a win for MS, I think.
Well for the PS3 Sony was actually losing money on each unit sold at the start, then over the years as they cut features and costs of the actual hardware got cheaper they were able to start making some profit on each console sold. The PS4 launched and was $381 to build and retailed for $399 so barely any margins there, but again over time the margin grows a little as they get costs down with revisions especially larger revisions like the slim. Now consider the lifetime of the console is 5 years minimum and the user keeps an active PS+ not counting any discounts thats $300 in revenue from a single user. The box Sony sells you is inconsequential for them to make or lose money on because they'll always make up for it with services like PS Now and PS+.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post
Well for the PS3 Sony was actually losing money on each unit sold at the start, then over the years as they cut features and costs of the actual hardware got cheaper they were able to start making some profit on each console sold. The PS4 launched and was $381 to build and retailed for $399 so barely any margins there, but again over time the margin grows a little as they get costs down with revisions especially larger revisions like the slim. Now consider the lifetime of the console is 5 years minimum and the user keeps an active PS+ not counting any discounts thats $300 in revenue from a single user. The box Sony sells you is inconsequential for them to make or lose money on because they'll always make up for it with services like PS Now and PS+.
Yeah. Sony could no longer afford to bleed like they did with the PS3.

I do wonder what's the BoM with the Pro, on a side note.

Sadly, I still feel like I'm still missing the big picture like how much their servers maintenance costs and "lost opportunities" with PS+ games (probably negligible; sure user won't buy games but now they're more tempted to keep buying + or lose access).

I was assuming that the bulk of their profit are from games so I'd love to see some more analysis.

It does seem far better than the PS3's generation thanks to +, BoM and MS shooting themselves on the foot. They're also have a much clearer lead against Xbox this gen.

I hope you're right though. That Plus and Now brings in a lot to PlayStation's pockets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in