[Windows Central] Microsoft discusses Xbox Series X backward compatibility, includes HDR and up to 120 FPS on older games - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Windows Central] Microsoft discusses Xbox Series X backward compatibility, includes HDR and up to 120 FPS on older games

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 138 (Unique: 88)
[Windows Central] Microsoft discusses Xbox Series X backward compatibility, includes HDR and up to 120 FPS on older games

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...ps-adds-hdr-4k

Quote:
Backward compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU, and the SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady frame rates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality. Backward compatible titles also see significant reductions in in-game load times from the massive leap in performance from our custom NVMe SSD which powers the Xbox Velocity Architecture... In partnership with the Xbox Advanced Technology Group, Xbox Series X delivers a new, innovative HDR reconstruction technique which enables the platform to automatically add HDR support to games. As this technique is handled by the platform itself, it allows us to enable HDR with zero impact to the game's performance and we can also apply it to Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles developed almost 20 years ago, well before the existence of HDR.
Quote:
Techniques such as the Heutchy method, which enables titles to render with increased resolutions up to 4K, or applying anisotropic filtering to improve the final image quality bring these classic games up to modern standards, better than ever before... The compatibility team has invented brand new techniques that enable even more titles to run at higher resolutions and image quality while still respecting the artistic intent and vision of the original creators. We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 FPS to 60 FPS or 60 FPS to 120 FPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

My #1 question now is whether or not there is any conflict between enhancing both framerate and resolution at the same time. We could be getting a fair number of titles hitting 4K120fps depending on how flexible the system is.

On top of that we're getting the AI HDR mapping, which I'm sure Nvidia would love to adapt into their own RTX drivers but for now this is the first we've seen of HDR being added to prior generations.

The Xbox Backward Compatibility team has got to be one of the best things to happen to gaming in recent years.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 11:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
How can you add HDR to titles that never had it? It seems like it would be mapping a smaller set of SDR values to HDR values, but how do you do that? If, for example, you now have 256 different shades of HDR grey how do you know which value to map the 64 shades of SDR grey to? I'd think SDR games would only use an SDR palette for their artwork (e.g. texture maps).

Compatibility with Xbox360 games would be interesting considering its built on the PowerPC architecture and the graphics processing relied on its eDRAM. Maybe in that case they would just port the PC version across?

It will be interesting to see how much power the Xbox Series X really has for native games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 11:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
How can you add HDR to titles that never had it? It seems like it would be mapping a smaller set of SDR values to HDR values, but how do you do that? If, for example, you now have 256 different shades of HDR grey how do you know which value to map the 64 shades of SDR grey to? I'd think SDR games would only use an SDR palette for their artwork (e.g. texture maps).

Compatibility with Xbox360 games would be interesting considering its built on the PowerPC architecture and the graphics processing relied on its eDRAM. Maybe in that case they would just port the PC version across?

It will be interesting to see how much power the Xbox Series X really has for native games.
Don't TVs have software based SDR to HDR feature already which some AV enthusiasts call fake HDR? Maybe Microsoft's version is a much better form of that.

I wonder if AMD, Sony and Microsoft are cooking up their better versions of Samsung's Game Motion Plus to increase framerate. I think Sony has some form of it or something where they dabbled with it using their VR Headset. Was called reprojection I think.

Edited: Instead of "I wonder why" to "I wonder if".

Last edited by amtelocn1; 05-29-2020 at 03:24 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 06:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 104 (Unique: 75)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
My #1 question now is whether or not there is any conflict between enhancing both framerate and resolution at the same time. We could be getting a fair number of titles hitting 4K120fps depending on how flexible the system is.

On top of that we're getting the AI HDR mapping, which I'm sure Nvidia would love to adapt into their own RTX drivers but for now this is the first we've seen of HDR being added to prior generations.

The Xbox Backward Compatibility team has got to be one of the best things to happen to gaming in recent years.
There shouldn't be any problem if said frame rate doesn't exceed the theoretical cap of the game and has resolutions that are supported. For instance, some guy dabbled in the debug mode of Bloodborne and found out you ran into some issues at 60fps because of the game's cycle. The speed of everything doubled but he was able to tweak some things to fix it. Same thing happened with DsFix which was uncapped to 60fps but had some bugs there.

Resolution is the same thing. Bloodborne supports 720p, 900p and 1080p according to the code I believe. The guy tried testing some resolutions in between and the game either crashed or defaulted to one of those resolutions.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Juub View Post
There shouldn't be any problem if said frame rate doesn't exceed the theoretical cap of the game and has resolutions that are supported. For instance, some guy dabbled in the debug mode of Bloodborne and found out you ran into some issues at 60fps because of the game's cycle. The speed of everything doubled but he was able to tweak some things to fix it. Same thing happened with DsFix which was uncapped to 60fps but had some bugs there.

Resolution is the same thing. Bloodborne supports 720p, 900p and 1080p according to the code I believe. The guy tried testing some resolutions in between and the game either crashed or defaulted to one of those resolutions.
It could be implied that they're using the Heutchy Method on Xbox One games now, in which case developer support of higher resolutions is not needed:
https://majornelson.com/2017/10/23/p...r-on-xbox-one/
"The team developed the Heutchy Method (after the engineer who created it) which leverages the power of Xbox One X to let the Xbox 360 emulator present the very best version of the game possible with the existing assets—all without touching the game code."

This is pretty close to ideal for my standards, if developers were actually going to patch their games you can bet most of them would muck it up with more bokeh and SSAO instead of allowing for better clarity and performance.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 03:33 PM
AMD Acolyte

Rep: 77 (Unique: 71)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post

A lot of games last gen used higher than SDR precision internally and mapped down during final rendering and output. Even really old games like Half life 2: episode 1 did it this way. It's possible the Xbox team are intercepting the data before it's mapped down, or are modifying the tone map itself so the data can be output with a higher range.

As far as the x360's eDRAM, they could emulate that by reserving a portion of the main GDDR6 for it. The first 10GB have over double the bandwidth of the x360's eDRAM(560GB/s VS 256GB/s).

"We should make it clear that NVIDIA is a good company, and we respect their attempted transition into being a smartphone company." - Roy Taylor, AMD

BF3 STATS/BF4 STATS
z87
(20 items)
Media/File server
(14 items)
CPU
Core i5 4670k - 4.2gh[email protected]
Motherboard
MSI z87m GAMING
GPU
ASUS RX5700
RAM
A-DATA 2x4GB DDR3
RAM
PNY 2x4GB DDR3
Hard Drive
XPG SX8100
Hard Drive
Seagate 3TB
Power Supply
Antec TruePower TP-550
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia + Cougar VortexPWM
Case
Silverstone PS07
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO
Operating System
MANJARO 20
Monitor
Viewsonic VX3211
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
Mouse
Logitech G402
Mouse
Reflex Lab Pro 32 Heavy
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO-80
Audio
Yamaha RX-V663
Audio
Micca MB42x Bookshelf Speakers
Audio
SMSL Q5
CPU
Intel I5 4590
Motherboard
A DELL
RAM
8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Barracuda ST6000DM003
Hard Drive
2x 8TB External HDD
Optical Drive
Lite-On Blu-Ray WH14NS40
Power Supply
Corsair CX-430
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO + KDE NEON
Monitor
TCL 55S525
Keyboard
Logitech K400
Audio
Sony STR-DN1070
Audio
Definitive Technology BP8 Tower Speakers
Audio
Definitive Technology 2002 Series Center Speaker
Audio
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Bookshelf Speakers
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymac93 View Post
A lot of games last gen used higher than SDR precision internally and mapped down during final rendering and output. Even really old games like Half life 2: episode 1 did it this way. It's possible the Xbox team are intercepting the data before it's mapped down, or are modifying the tone map itself so the data can be output with a higher range.

As far as the x360's eDRAM, they could emulate that by reserving a portion of the main GDDR6 for it. The first 10GB have over double the bandwidth of the x360's eDRAM(560GB/s VS 256GB/s).
Rendering an SDR game in HDR seems pointless unless the game has higher than SDR precision originally. If you have 64 shades of grey in the original lightmaps and textures to map that smaller set to a larger set of 256 shades of grey is entirely arbitrary and will STILL end up only using 64 shades of grey unless you want to somehow randomize which shades of grey from the larger set are used.

They've created emulators for other consoles for PC so it's obviously not impossible, but it seems like such emulators always have bugs and require all sorts of fixes and code maintenance.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
I love that MS is doing this, but i can't help but wish Sony was more invested in this idea as well. Bringing the huge PS2 library forward with higher resolutions and stable FPS targets would be great. A lot of PS2 games actually have fairly good art assets, they just look muddy because most of the games are 480i.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 AM
H₂O Aficionado

Rep: 118 (Unique: 95)
Great move by Microsoft. I hope there is some consistency across titles. All existing titles should target 4K / 60fps. The common resolution and frame rate of modern TVs.

That being said, I have a feeling it will be a case by case application. As Juub mentioned, some impacts to titles are serious. The From Software titles are notoriously known for this and result in a game breaking experience. They are also a strong outlier compared to most titles. I expect all the major AAAs to embrace the modifications. I.E. COD, Assassins Creed, GoW etc.

On a personal note, I skipped the last generation of consoles but if this comes to fruition, it may be a great investment. As now all my old 360 titles get a nice enhancement. Hard to justify a purchase to the other ecosystem (Playstation).

-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-

Stridsfordon 90
(20 items)
M1 Abrams
(18 items)
Asus G53
(0 items)
CPU
Intel 3930K
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
GTX 780 SC
RAM
Patriot Black Viper
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 SSD
Hard Drive
WD Black 7200 RPM
Power Supply
Corsair AX 850
Cooling
XSPC EX 360 Radiator
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Cooling
XSPC Titan/780 GPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 - Acetal
Cooling
XSPC D5 Pump
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
QNIX 27"
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Razer Death Adder 2013
Mousepad
Mouse Rug
Audio
Sennheiser HD 6XX
Audio
Bose Companion III's
CPU
i7 3930K
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
Geforce GTX 780 EVGA SC 3GB + XSPC Waterblock
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 840 Series 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II Night Hawk Edition
Cooling
XSPC 360mm radiator, Raystorm CPU block, D5 pump
Case
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green (Custom paint)
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
QNIX QX2710 27" 100hz
Monitor
Samsung 2233RZ 22" 120hz
Keyboard
Logitech g710+
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
Mouse
Mouse Rug
Audio
Bose Companion III's Speakers
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones
Audio
Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in