[TS] AMD says Big Navi, not next-gen consoles, will be its first RDNA 2 product - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TS] AMD says Big Navi, not next-gen consoles, will be its first RDNA 2 product

post #171 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 08:48 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 731 (Unique: 384)
Quote: Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
Your wasting your time bickering with wannabe he been marching to the beat of his own drum on here for awhile with zero interest in anything other then hearing himself speak. Any point that has solid ground against what he says he just ignores, and instead cherry picks the points where he can continue to amplify intel/nvidia strong points.

He either mega shill, or clinically insane or both. Im almost positive he is paid off by nvidia/intel via contract work to keep them in there respective positive lights on forums.

Also the dangers of this is him posting large amount of news stories in hardware section that only push his one sided agenda which is damaging to these forums.
marching to the beat of the marketing's drum.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 190 (Unique: 131)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post
Yeah but outside the Titan should the rest of the GeForce product stack be affected? It's basically making one side happy at the expense of the gaming demographic for GeForce.
I do agree with that statement which was why I said gamers shouldn't buy Turing based cards when they launched unless they want to be early adopters. Then Navi's small die pricing was released which was also upsetting when Lisa Su was talking about how they can price it cheaper since it was an architecture built from the ground up for gamers. During some of their conferences they did a 180 and said 7nm isn't cheap.

$100 more to have a RTX 2070 Super with more future proofed feature doesn't sound bad at all when comparing the two.

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
can anyone name any recent AAA titles with good AI (good = better than what we were used to 10 years ago) cuz I sure can't really think of any.

It's all still LOS patrol.
I'd rather have a crap AI then a good one that can't be beaten. Instead I'd prefer they keep looking into using their Tensor cores to increase IQ along with creating games.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/27/...eepmind-defeat

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 06-29-2020 at 09:07 AM.
post #173 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 731 (Unique: 384)
I'd rather the AI be a scaling challenge based on player input (in this instance, AI/IQ can be interchangeable, as what we're discussing are tactics used to increase the awareness and functionality of NPCs thru any means necessary)

(much like how the hide and seek game you linked works)

this is why options include difficulty sliders.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:55 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 190 (Unique: 131)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
I'd rather the AI be a scaling challenge based on player input (in this instance, AI/IQ can be interchangeable, as what we're discussing are tactics used to increase the awareness and functionality of NPCs thru any means necessary)

(much like how the hide and seek game you linked works)

this is why options include difficulty sliders.
That would have to be integrated on a per game basis by the developer. I can see AMD or Nvidia using a neural network for physics simulation. Developers currently have a ton of tools in their hands, they just have to be creative.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #175 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 203 (Unique: 182)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post
And that's why I am asking you. The whole crux of your reasoning for current pricing schemes seems to be two-fold and I can't tell if it's just you playing devil's advocate based on your experience/usage of Nvidia products (I believe you had mentioned deploying GeForce products in a work setting) and thus having a non-gaming perspective, or if it's just straight up shilling. I am not inclined to think you are shilling, I know very well you have had AMD cards too, so I guess I am just trying to understand your perspective, because it doesn't make sense to me why someone would be arguing against consumers wanting more and paying less. That's obviously always at conflict with a business want to provide less and charge more. Totally get that, there is a balance. In the case of graphics cards (and completely happy to throw AMD in there too as $699 launch price for a Radeon VII was ridiculous) I just feel that balance is not there right now as a gaming demographic for what is primarily a gaming product line.

Regarding technology, technology always advances, there is always new tech. That doesn't mean we see an exponentially rising pricing treadmill every generation since the Radeon and the GeForce 256. I mean we'd have like $50,000 cards by now if we did.

So going back to my second sentence on your two reasons I can see:

One, is that it's ok because it provides that workstation/developer whatever demographic cheaper cards. My contention is that while that may be so, it has come at the expense of the rest of the gaming demographic and target for the bulk of what the GeForce product line is supposed to be. I don't see why they can't make both demographics happy here.

Two, is that R&D and the new technologies being developed are more expensive and thus command a higher price. As I said before, totally willing to buy into this a bit, but I am also not convinced that if AMD was competitive at the high end that we'd be seeing pricing at what it is right now, so I don't buy that as telling the entire pricing strategy story. I suppose in that sense, we'll never know one way or the other.
The last point, I doubt it. When you're posting YoY higher earnings in correlation with higher prices for goods and services, I don't know about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in