[PC GAMER]AMD has shipped over half a billion GPUs since 2013, more than Intel or Nvidia - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[PC GAMER]AMD has shipped over half a billion GPUs since 2013, more than Intel or Nvidia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:03 PM
BOINC Cruncher
 
Diffident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bawlmer, MD
Posts: 1,772
Rep: 109 (Unique: 71)
Well if you're going to include everything under the sun that does graphics as having a "GPU", then what about phones? Apple sold over half a billion iphones between 2014 and 2016, they all would have a "GPU".

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲


Diffident is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,229
Rep: 734 (Unique: 386)
only shred of value in that pcgamer story is - AMD 'Big Navi' graphics cards will reportedly arrive prior to the next-gen consoles, so that's something to look forward to.


cool that a company that sells both iGPUs & dGPUs has combined sold more GPUs than a company that only sells CPUs, or one that only sells GPUs. -.-

still, my stock is stagnant though soooo

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 06-04-2020 at 05:29 PM.
skupples is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:33 PM
Hey I get one of these!
 
KyadCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,471
Rep: 321 (Unique: 222)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Well if you're going to include everything under the sun that does graphics as having a "GPU", then what about phones? Apple sold over half a billion iphones between 2014 and 2016, they all would have a "GPU".
That would be a fair assessment in my eyes, yes.

Though at that point, Qualcomm (android devices) would almost certainly be the winner, not Apple. In AMD's defence, Qualcomm uses legacy AMD IP.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
KyadCK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Expert pin bender
 
dagget3450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,072
Rep: 165 (Unique: 95)
I fail to see the logic of the complaints here. AMD makes and sells GPU's, like Intel and Nvidia do. Apple, Qualcomm don't sell gpu's so they aren't counted.

While i see how pointless the article could be if its not your cup of tea, its not for idiots who just read a title. The article cites sources..

https://www.jonpeddie.com/news/amd-s...-a-lot-of-gpus

GPU i currently own: R9 390/290x/290/390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/ - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600/FX 9590
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
dagget3450 is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,229
Rep: 734 (Unique: 386)
aahhrg, i missed that. thx.

also, ow migraine. i need to stop staring at this screen.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 06:17 PM
BOINC Cruncher
 
Diffident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bawlmer, MD
Posts: 1,772
Rep: 109 (Unique: 71)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
I fail to see the logic of the complaints here. AMD makes and sells GPU's, like Intel and Nvidia do. Apple, Qualcomm don't sell gpu's so they aren't counted.

While i see how pointless the article could be if its not your cup of tea, its not for idiots who just read a title. The article cites sources..

https://www.jonpeddie.com/news/amd-s...-a-lot-of-gpus

Qualcomm apparently sells "GPU's" or they wouldn't end up in phones. Apple makes the "GPU" that is in the iphone....which they sell.

The jonpeddie article wants to count future Samsung phones having AMD in them but doesn't count the "GPU's" in all the phones currently in use.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲


Diffident is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
EniGma1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,527
Rep: 348 (Unique: 257)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
I fail to see the logic of the complaints here. AMD makes and sells GPU's, like Intel and Nvidia do. Apple, Qualcomm don't sell gpu's so they aren't counted.
That is an odd statement. Intel is included for the simple fact they put an iGPU in their CPU. Qualcomm puts an iGPU in their CPU as well and yet they dont count cause its not a real GPU? That sounds like the same logic Ubisoft just tried to claim: "You are not paying a subscription to play the game, you are buying the game all over again with an expiring license every so often"


Last edited by EniGma1987; 06-05-2020 at 08:19 AM.
EniGma1987 is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Expert pin bender
 
dagget3450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,072
Rep: 165 (Unique: 95)
No one bothers to read I suppose. If you read the source it talks about Intel,and, and Nvidia. Why? Because it's talking about companies who make silicon(gpu) for multiple platforms, Qualcomm makes only for mobile devices right? If it said most sold for mobile devices then you would be right?

Quote:
With multiple channels and platforms, a lot of Radeons are out there
Quote:

The one thing that differentiates AMD from its competitors is its incredible diversity of platforms and processors. AMD punches above its weight and as a result, this gives AMD extraordinary insight into a diverse set of customer needs, which the company cleverly uses in its cross-platform implementations.
It's clear AMD does not compete directly with Qualcomm or apple? At least until when they start appearing in phones even then they are diverse so Qualcomm won't be making a desktop gpu or consoles etc..

GPU i currently own: R9 390/290x/290/390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/ - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600/FX 9590
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
dagget3450 is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 08:15 AM
I <3 narcissists
 
bigjdubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,992
Rep: 228 (Unique: 143)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
No one bothers to read I suppose. If you read the source it talks about Intel,and, and Nvidia. Why? Because it's talking about companies who make silicon(gpu) for multiple platforms, Qualcomm makes only for mobile devices right? If it said most sold for mobile devices then you would be right?


It's clear AMD does not compete directly with Qualcomm or apple? At least until when they start appearing in phones even then they are diverse so Qualcomm won't be making a desktop gpu or consoles etc..
Is a laptop not considered a mobile device? The article was made with minimal effort like most tech articles, the only reason that all gpu makers aren't in the list is because the original article it's copying didn't include them. Qualcomm is a direct competitor to Intel, Nvidia and AMD, there is no way around that fact. Microsoft has surface products that can be had with either Qualcomm or Intel, Samsung has laptops that can be had with Qualcomm or Intel, and none of those are phones.

Either way, this sort of data is pretty irrelevant outside of a discussion about stocks/investments. At best it's "off topic" for a place like this.

Gaming Rig
(12 items)
Couch Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work rig
(11 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
HP EX920 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Win 10 Home
Monitor
LG 32GK650G
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus x470i
GPU
Radeon VII
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 evo
Power Supply
InWin A1
Cooling
NZXT M22
Case
InWin A1
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
Vizio 4k TV
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
GTX 750
RAM
Patriot Viper
Hard Drive
HP EX920 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ PD3200Q
Monitor
LG 32UD59
▲ hide details ▲


bigjdubb is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 08:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
EniGma1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,527
Rep: 348 (Unique: 257)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
No one bothers to read I suppose. If you read the source it talks about Intel,and, and Nvidia. Why? Because it's talking about companies who make silicon(gpu) for multiple platforms, Qualcomm makes only for mobile devices right?
You are probably going to want to try your argument in a different manner, given that AMD is the only company of the 3 you really want to talk about who is making GPUs across multiple platforms (consoles and computers). And anyway, ARM based chips and iGPUs are in mobile phones and tablets, laptops, and Amazon and Google have them in servers so they are in fact in both mobile and computer platforms there.

EniGma1987 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off