[TH] 8 TB Samsung QVO SSD Mysteriously Appears on Amazon for $900 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TH] 8 TB Samsung QVO SSD Mysteriously Appears on Amazon for $900

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 533 (Unique: 335)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Way too expensive for what it is, especially given the SATA limitations.
If you can copy a few hundred Gigs per-minute then such a large SSD starts to make sense, but even if this is 6x better than an 8TB HDD it's still a far cry from what it really should be.
Doubly so when 1TB TLC drives are so cheap (or at least they were a few months ago and probably will be again next year).
For people who need large amounts of data storage, having fewer drives can be huge. Ever since Haswell, MOBOs these days have a decreasing number of SATA ports. Using that many multiple drives would mean having to add HBA cards, more cables, and extra space for the drives. It also makes data organization and space allocation more difficult. Adding insult to injury, even though many modern MOBOs have more and faster PCIe lanes, the number of PCIe slots are also decreasing, even on enterprise (X series) MOBOs.

People with laptops are generally restricted to up to two 2.5" drives and up to two M.2 drives (which may or may not be all NVMe), usually fewer. Larger drives, even SATA, would be huge for them.

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
That link is for the 860 series. The new 8TB drive will be in a new 870 series, assuming the pandemic doesn't cause Samsung to drop the project (it has happened before; remember the 4TB 850 Pro that was promised, then dropped because of the silicon shortage at the time?). Sabrent already has a 4TB TLC NVMe drive and is supposed to be coming out with an 8TB NVMe soon but that will be a QLC.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
1TB SLC = 2TB MLC = 3TB TLC = 4TB QLC

Let that sink in.
Sink in? More like it's already sunk. What the heck does that even mean?

Even QLC drives, such as the QVOs, will still be faster than the the same sized HDDs, even if the HDDs are not SMR. The downside to QLC drives, compared to TLC and MLC drives (other than reduced speed), is shorter warranties and reduced write life. To me, a shorter warranty indicates a reduced level of confidence in the reliability of a product compared to similar products by the same manufacturer.

I would have preferred that Samsung had worked on developing 8TB Pros and/or EVOs instead of a QVO. The QLC drives, like the QVO, just aren't ready for serious use yet. I'm already fixed for storage space and won't be buying anymore for quite a while except for possible replacements but if something was to happen to the drives I have now, like theft or a house fire, I would prefer to buy 8TB (or larger) replacements for the 4TB herd I have now (just not the QVOs unless it's a few years from now and QLC has matured).

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 348 (Unique: 257)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Way too expensive for what it is, especially given the SATA limitations.
If you can copy a few hundred Gigs per-minute then such a large SSD starts to make sense, but even if this is 6x better than an 8TB HDD it's still a far cry from what it really should be.
Doubly so when 1TB TLC drives are so cheap (or at least they were a few months ago and probably will be again next year).
It has to be limited to slow speeds, otherwise you fill up the SLC cache in no time and then you get 30MB/s write speeds from the QLC. Because it is sata, you are less likely to find out how slow this drive really is.

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 288 (Unique: 227)
I think it would make a good game drive. As long as the reads are high.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Sabrent already has a 4TB TLC NVMe drive and is supposed to be coming out with an 8TB NVMe soon but that will be a QLC.
The Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB is already out. But it is $1499

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ozlay; 06-11-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 227 (Unique: 131)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Sink in? More like it's already sunk. What the heck does that even mean?
i think hes implying this could've been a 4TB MLC or 6TB TLC for the same price.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 11:26 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 835 (Unique: 465)
silly me thought it was an endurance implication.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
If you need help:
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
*this post has been sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon.*
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 128 (Unique: 96)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

The Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB is already out. But it is $1499
What is the difference between the Rocket and Rocket Q? I have 2x of the 4TB Rocket NVMe's in RAID-0 - they were $850 each. In real world performance, will the 8TB Rocket Q perform similarly to the 'regular' Rocket series?
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
What is the difference between the Rocket and Rocket Q? I have 2x of the 4TB Rocket NVMe's in RAID-0 - they were $850 each. In real world performance, will the 8TB Rocket Q perform similarly to the 'regular' Rocket series?
No, The 8TB Rocket Q is also QLC, instead of TLC on the 4TB Rocket. TLC is faster and higher endurance than QLC. That the 8TB is 2x the price of the 4TB almost seems like a scam.

I am still coming to terms with MLC being considered the good stuff (3D Xpoint killed SLC but no one used it even before that). I still don't actually own any TLC but I might be willing for my next drive. QLC is pushing this tech too far in the direction of lower performance, lower endurance, for a lower price. I want faster NAND, not slower.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 361 (Unique: 258)
The problem isn't so much getting high capacity SSD but getting one at an acceptable price. While SSD can be much faster the 4x cost over HDD is not making it a viable option for storage purposes. SSDs are still more of a cache to keep the most used data on, be it OS or your frequent programs/games/...

As much as I dislike HDDs with a passion I dislike the cost of SSDs even more.

Especially now SSDs have jumped up again in prices at least for NVMe and a drive that cost 120 USD/EUR now cost 180 USD/EUR. That's +50% cost for no reason other than stock, availability, demand from who knows... Apple and other SIs? ... Someone sneezes in a factory in November and suddenly the prices of SSDs skyrocket for next year. There is a lot of price fixing going on same as with RAM.

And screw QLC nand flash until they get it to perform even remotely like an SSD should. TLC is slow enough already.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 288 (Unique: 227)
Quote: Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
The Rocket Q uses QLC the Rocket uses TLC. Most QLC ssds have a slow write speed when transferring large files. So it depends on what you are using it for. But the Rocket should be noticeably faster then the rocket Q. Especially when writing to it. For a game drive QLC should be fine as long as it maintains a good read speed.

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ozlay; 06-11-2020 at 01:02 PM.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
The problem isn't so much getting high capacity SSD but getting one at an acceptable price. While SSD can be much faster the 4x cost over HDD is not making it a viable option for storage purposes. SSDs are still more of a cache to keep the most used data on, be it OS or your frequent programs/games/...

As much as I dislike HDDs with a passion I dislike the cost of SSDs even more.

Especially now SSDs have jumped up again in prices at least for NVMe and a drive that cost 120 USD/EUR now cost 180 USD/EUR. That's +50% cost for no reason other than stock, availability, demand from who knows... Apple and other SIs? ... Someone sneezes in a factory in November and suddenly the prices of SSDs skyrocket for next year. There is a lot of price fixing going on same as with RAM.

And screw QLC nand flash until they get it to perform even remotely like an SSD should. TLC is slow enough already.
QLC is how the industry is trying to lower prices. I have several spinning rust drives for anything giant. I would prefer NAND to get cheaper too but spinning rust also gets cheaper, if "4x the cost over HDD" is a barrier simply moving to QLC, or even PLC, is only keeping pace. The downsides of QLC are too high to be worth the price difference over TLC. That Intel is spending R&D budget on PLC is annoying, maybe research better TLC instead?

These random price spikes are due to a "free market" with only a few suppliers, you always get issues like this with too few actors and huge barriers to entry (both capital and IP). I am not sure how to deal with these issues, IP reform is hard and regulating prices isn't going to work long term.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in