[TH] 8 TB Samsung QVO SSD Mysteriously Appears on Amazon for $900 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TH] 8 TB Samsung QVO SSD Mysteriously Appears on Amazon for $900

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 04:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 128 (Unique: 96)
so QLC is much slower. Okay.. I would really like to have 2x 8TB NVMe drives in my system since it has only 2 NVMe slots... but I'm happy with 2x 4TB for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 04:24 PM
LTSC for life crew

Rep: 144 (Unique: 103)
This would almost be appealing for those stuck with a laptop's drive size limitation - I know of a handful of Clevo/Sager's that have 2x 2.5" drive slots and know of plenty more laptops with a single 2.5" slot for upgrades, but have never heard of one with a 3.5" drive space where you could install a typical 8TB drive into. So there might be a limited market for people there.

Actually come to think of it, my old Clevo had 2x 2.5" slots and 2x NVMe slots so in theory with enough dough I could have gone wild and had 24TB worth of solid state storage onboard, with nearly no penalty to weight. That would be pretty nuts lol.

CPU
Ryzen 1600 AF
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
QLC drives are targeted at use cases where you mainly read not write, the read speed is fine but the write speed drops off once the cache fills up. The cache on these drives is variable and, providing you have not filled the drive almost completely, will typically be around 50 - 100GB and will start to empty any time there is a break in write activity.

In consumer use, the initial copy of your steam library or movie collection will be slow but I would be surprised if people noticed a difference in day to day use as the cache is very large.

Where a QLC drive is suitable:
1) Your college age daughter/sons laptop where they word process do social media and occasionally game or watch a movie, they will notice no difference
2) As a faster option for the data drive on a system with a NVME main drive

Where a QLC drive is NOT suitable is:
1) something that writes large amounts of data continually such as a database server or perhaps a graphics/video workstation as the cache will be permanently full
2) a drive that is permanently full as you will have a very small write cache
3) use cases where TBW actually matters

Last edited by clannagh; 06-11-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 06:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 255 (Unique: 203)
Given the size of one dataset I've just inherited (and how unbelievably slow it is working from a HDD, because the drive is thrashing constantly as data is read (semi-)stochastically) I would actually be kind of interested in this.

But QLC...

Sadly, alternatives are limited and here in Japan the Sabrent 4TB M.2 TLC drives are... well... insanely priced, otherwise I'd stuff four of them into a PCI-E quad M.2 card and have done with it.

edit: It would also be pretty awesome to have 16TB of storage in my 1.1KG laptop...

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 533 (Unique: 335)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
It has to be limited to slow speeds, otherwise you fill up the SLC cache in no time and then you get 30MB/s write speeds from the QLC. Because it is sata, you are less likely to find out how slow this drive really is.
Even if a QLC SSD is SATA, it will have slower writes than a TLC, especially as the drive approaches half full.

Quote: Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
What is the difference between the Rocket and Rocket Q? I have 2x of the 4TB Rocket NVMe's in RAID-0 - they were $850 each. In real world performance, will the 8TB Rocket Q perform similarly to the 'regular' Rocket series?
No. QLC is slower than TLC or MLC and keeps getting slower the more the drive fills up. Adding insult to injury, the cells in QLC SSDs have 16 voltage stated crammed into each one which can cause charge leaskage that will cause data corruption and loss as the write count on the cell accumulate, which is one reason why QLC SSDs have shorter warranties.

QLC is currently at the stage where TLC was for a short while after TLC came out. QLC will probably improve over time and become as reliable as TLC but it will be a while before that happens.

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, The 8TB Rocket Q is also QLC, instead of TLC on the 4TB Rocket. TLC is faster and higher endurance than QLC. That the 8TB is 2x the price of the 4TB almost seems like a scam.

I am still coming to terms with MLC being considered the good stuff (3D Xpoint killed SLC but no one used it even before that). I still don't actually own any TLC but I might be willing for my next drive. QLC is pushing this tech too far in the direction of lower performance, lower endurance, for a lower price. I want faster NAND, not slower.
Larger drives always cost more per GB than older, smaller drives if only due to the need to recover tooling and R&D costs.

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
This would almost be appealing for those stuck with a laptop's drive size limitation - I know of a handful of Clevo/Sager's that have 2x 2.5" drive slots and know of plenty more laptops with a single 2.5" slot for upgrades, but have never heard of one with a 3.5" drive space where you could install a typical 8TB drive into. So there might be a limited market for people there.

Actually come to think of it, my old Clevo had 2x 2.5" slots and 2x NVMe slots so in theory with enough dough I could have gone wild and had 24TB worth of solid state storage onboard, with nearly no penalty to weight. That would be pretty nuts lol.
I recently bought a System 76 Linux version of the Clevos you are describing. It's a fairly nice machine but they should have used an AMD graphics card instead of NVIDIA. NVIDIA does not play well with Linux (I share Linus Torvalds' opinion of Linux ( youtu.be/iYWzMvlj2RQ ). I spent the higher price for System 76 because of their reputation for good tech help. That has turned out to be overrated.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-11-2020 at 06:22 PM.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 06:15 PM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 533 (Unique: 335)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
I think it would make a good game drive. As long as the reads are high.

The Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB is already out. But it is $1499
No, it's not out yet (at least on Amazon). It's on preorder there. Amazon's listing is a bit contradictory. The listing says it arrive June 19-23 then says fastest delivery is June 16th. Hunh?

Even more "interesting" are the 767 ratings (aka reviews) shown for it. Amazon's one of the despicable vendors that lump the reviews of "similar" products together (as far as I'm concerned, it's lying!).

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-11-2020 at 06:20 PM.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 08:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 255 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
No, it's not out yet (at least on Amazon). It's on preorder there. Amazon's listing is a bit contradictory. The listing says it arrive June 19-23 then says fastest delivery is June 16th. Hunh?

Even more "interesting" are the 767 ratings (aka reviews) shown for it. Amazon's one of the despicable vendors that lump the reviews of "similar" products together (as far as I'm concerned, it's lying!).
Amazon is good at contradictory.

And the "similar reviews" thing has caught me by surprise in the past. Reading verified reviews, thinking, "wow, a lot of people have bought this considering it's been out two days", but no, it's actually reviews of the older model with half the capacity (or whatever). It's even more ridiculous when they do it for Kindle reviews and the reviewers are talking about the physical book...

post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
In theory QVOs should benefit in both TBW and cache size from going larger capacity ... but that is beside the point, review for a recently announced, but not yet available, model are impossible.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 06:43 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 361 (Unique: 258)
QLC is how the industry is trying to lower prices. I have several spinning rust drives for anything giant. I would prefer NAND to get cheaper too but spinning rust also gets cheaper, if "4x the cost over HDD" is a barrier simply moving to QLC, or even PLC, is only keeping pace. The downsides of QLC are too high to be worth the price difference over TLC. That Intel is spending R&D budget on PLC is annoying, maybe research better TLC instead?

These random price spikes are due to a "free market" with only a few suppliers, you always get issues like this with too few actors and huge barriers to entry (both capital and IP). I am not sure how to deal with these issues, IP reform is hard and regulating prices isn't going to work long term.
Yet cheapest is TLC not QLC In theory, yes QLC should sell for less and for M.2 format drives it's there on par with TLC at the bottom. For 2.5" SATA it's not even close because Samsung QLC is pricey and Samsung sells their QLC for what others sell TLC for, any cost savings going straight to Samsung.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Old and Crochity

Rep: 272 (Unique: 201)
QLC is how the industry is trying to lower prices. I have several spinning rust drives for anything giant. I would prefer NAND to get cheaper too but spinning rust also gets cheaper, if "4x the cost over HDD" is a barrier simply moving to QLC, or even PLC, is only keeping pace. The downsides of QLC are too high to be worth the price difference over TLC. That Intel is spending R&D budget on PLC is annoying, maybe research better TLC instead?

These random price spikes are due to a "free market" with only a few suppliers, you always get issues like this with too few actors and huge barriers to entry (both capital and IP). I am not sure how to deal with these issues, IP reform is hard and regulating prices isn't going to work long term.

Because it's not a free market and IP is a B.S. barrier. IP should last 1 year. If you can't or won't bring your technology to market others will. Once you eliminate the IP barrier a lot of competitors arise. Look at China, they don't give a damn about IP and they've done quite well because of that.

Quote:Originally Posted by Deadboy90 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You want true privacy? Go live in the woods with no electronics like in the early 19th century. Otherwise stop complaining.

In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in