[TH] 8 TB Samsung QVO SSD Mysteriously Appears on Amazon for $900 - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TH] 8 TB Samsung QVO SSD Mysteriously Appears on Amazon for $900

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 03:03 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
My 256Gb Sabrent Rocket NVMe drive was something like $28 after an instant coupon on Amazon. Honestly it was the single cheapest SSD available in that capacity at the time. It's currently $49.99 for the same drive today, just shy of being twice the price I paid 18 months ago. At that rate it makes all SSD's seem pretty overpriced.

Does anybody else remember the huge SSD factory that had a 7 minute shutdown and claimed to have lost a year's worth of wafers from it? That was expected to be heavily affecting SSD prices. And I can only imagine that on top of the current crisis would make for an even worse issue.
That doesn't seem too bad, at least it is a pretty nice TLC drive (have you seen X570 motherboard prices?!). The 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q is $130 on Newegg, while the 1TB Sabrent Rocket is $150. TLC is worth more than that +15%, even for a game drive, at least to me.

Dropping per-cell endurance that low does not seem worth even the theoretical +33% bits/area cost advantage, and going to PLC for another +20% seems even less worth it. You get diminishing returns while making all the disadvantages of NAND worse and worse. TLC seems like the sweet spot for consumers at +50% capacity over MLC but still acceptable write speed and endurance when using good controllers and large capacities.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 04:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I agree, if it really was a lot cheaper QLC would be reasonable for a game drive but since it isn't much cheaper it seems like a bad deal. As a technology it is so much worse than TLC that it seems wrong to sell it near the same price.
My suspicion is they are trying not to tank the market for TLC. The average non-enthusiast consumer is just going to look at the price, the capacity and whether it is an SSD and takes no notice of the finer technical details or the reputation of the brand. For them an SSD is an SSD.

Very few prospective car buyers would make a purchase based just on number of cylinders and price but in computer technology it happens all the time.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 288 (Unique: 227)
I only run m.2. So the rocket q would be a better choice for me. But it currently costs way too much. I remember when the rocket 4tb came out. And it was $650 but now it is $850. So the rocket q needs to come down to like $1000. Then i might buy it. But at $1500 it is way to much. Hopefully they will get some competition so prices start to drop in the 4-8tb range. And maybe if they use the shrunken controller rocket q on their rocket 2242 model they might be able to fit some dram on it.

I still wonder why samsung stopped making larger ssds. Remember the 960pro 2tb. Why didn't we get a 2tb 970 pro. Hopefully the 980pro will come in a 2tb model. An a 4tb evo.

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ozlay; 06-16-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 05:05 AM
M'aiq the Liar

Rep: 418 (Unique: 272)
They'll have my attention if they drop the price by 25% somehow.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 01:09 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 440 (Unique: 304)
The only problem I see if this will be aiming for NAS applications, but the endurance of the SSD will be low, so it won't survive 4-5 years of work.
We will need to see how the QLC hangs on over time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in