[Android Police] The Snapdragon 865 Plus is a slightly faster 865 — here's what's new - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Android Police] The Snapdragon 865 Plus is a slightly faster 865 — here's what's new

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:28 AM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,158
Rep: 633 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by kakik09 View Post
Ah, so we're in the Skylake phase now
In a few months they'll release 9xx, then 10xxx, 11xxx, 12xxx and it will turn out they're all iterations of the same process, node and chip with negative to +1% (within margin of error) performance increase at all new pricing on 7nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++ for 5 years.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Cakewalk_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Magic Kingdom, WDW
Posts: 6,706
Rep: 276 (Unique: 256)
hmm... should have been the "Snapdragon 865XTTi Max-Q Super+"... name change complete


Cakewalk_S is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,038
Rep: 197 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
In a few months they'll release 9xx, then 10xxx, 11xxx, 12xxx and it will turn out they're all iterations of the same process, node and chip with negative to +1% (within margin of error) performance increase at all new pricing on 7nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++ for 5 years.
They're also using TSMC, the 875 rumors suggest it's already in production on a 5nm process.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11,145
Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Could have called it the Snapdragon 865XT
At least they are not calling it 965.
JackCY is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,158
Rep: 633 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
They're also using TSMC, the 875 rumors suggest it's already in production on a 5nm process.
I'm being sarcastic, I'm well aware of the 5nm plans.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 04:18 PM
LTSC for life crew
 
speed_demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,732
Rep: 158 (Unique: 108)
Neat. I do have to wonder what sort of heat management needs to be used to keep this beasty cool. Considering the heat issues of the last few snapdragon flagships.

I know LG uses a fancy ultra thin heatpipe system on my LG G7 with the snapdragon 845, and to be honest I think it's more marketing than anything. Phone still gets too hot to hold shortly after firing up any sort of game or 3d intensive application. I mean, the performance is there and it's a mighty capable processor but the heat issues really throw a wrench into the works when you are dealing with something as compact as a phone.

I 'member rooting + overclocking + adding better TIM to my Nexus 6P a few years back, and the aluminum body would get hot enough to "brand" the nexus logo onto my skin for a short while after using it. Eventually I added a case and all was well again. Wonder if we'll ever get back to that underground enthusiast level of modding these new devices.

CPU
Ryzen 1600 AF
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲


speed_demon is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,158
Rep: 633 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Neat. I do have to wonder what sort of heat management needs to be used to keep this beasty cool. Considering the heat issues of the last few snapdragon flagships.

I know LG uses a fancy ultra thin heatpipe system on my LG G7 with the snapdragon 845, and to be honest I think it's more marketing than anything. Phone still gets too hot to hold shortly after firing up any sort of game or 3d intensive application. I mean, the performance is there and it's a mighty capable processor but the heat issues really throw a wrench into the works when you are dealing with something as compact as a phone.

I 'member rooting + overclocking + adding better TIM to my Nexus 6P a few years back, and the aluminum body would get hot enough to "brand" the nexus logo onto my skin for a short while after using it. Eventually I added a case and all was well again. Wonder if we'll ever get back to that underground enthusiast level of modding these new devices.
I used to watercool my S7 by dipping it in water and i still 'watercool' my current phone by spreading water on the back when it gets too hot.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 08:00 PM
LTSC for life crew
 
speed_demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,732
Rep: 158 (Unique: 108)
Well, before the kiddies start trying to dunk their phones in water you might want to add that your phone is designed to be especially water resistant.

CPU
Ryzen 1600 AF
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲


speed_demon is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 PM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,158
Rep: 633 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Well, before the kiddies start trying to dunk their phones in water you might want to add that your phone is designed to be especially water resistant.
Why would I? Do we need to write a disclaimer warning these 'kiddies' that they shouldn't stick their tongues in the power plug every time we help someone with a hardware problem?

Also I never said I dip my current (non-waterproof) phone in water, I said that I spread water on the back of my phone to cool it down, which is an effective way to cool any hot surface. If the (35 year old) kiddies who frequent these boards take that as dropping their phone in in a bucket or a swimming pool without looking up the IP rating of their phone it's their problem, I am not responsible for other people's attempts at winning the Darwin Awards.

Disclaimer: dropping yourself in the swimming pool, together with your phone, for an extended period of time, without coming up for air, can cause serious trauma to the person who comes to rescue you and, possibly, cause you to get sued (deserved and hilarious).

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off