PCI Express 3.0 Bandwidth: 8.0 Gigatransfers/s - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PCI Express 3.0 Bandwidth: 8.0 Gigatransfers/s

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 693 (Unique: 434)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
I love how people say "we don't even have PCIe 2.0 yet", like that really matters in the computer world.
Right, lets talk seriously about hardware that won't be out for 5 years, thats useful. It's not like specs could change in the next 60 months, or something else could come up. I'm tired of the years future hardware that is an improvement to hardware that isn't even out! It's like talking about DDR5.

Certs:
A+
ACMT
Dell ASP; Desktop, Laptop, PowerConnect, PowerEdge, PowerVault

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:02 AM

PCIe 18.0 will be out by the time we even get close to PCIe 2.0's bandwidth.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 116)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaKing View Post
Yeah. It's a marketing ploy. They gotta get ready to rake that cash in for cards that will use the technology.
Yup... Just like SATA and SATA2. The HDD still limits how much you can send to like 75MB/s, but hey... if you switch to SATA2, you can transfer 3.0GB/s over SATA's 1.5GB/s.....

It looks like PCIe will be the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelabove go_quote.gif
Oh, and were you planning to Use Microsoft SuperGood Home, home premium, ultimate, home semiultimate, fiery, rainbow happiness, for new people, for semi new people, for dumb people, extremely basic, turtleshapped, caveman edition, platinum edition, icy cold grillz edition, fake diamond edition, real diamond edition, or Classic? I was thinking I would put Supergood Turtleshapped or Caveman Edition on my new DX19 rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 589 (Unique: 377)
Drop-in SMP cards, anybody?

post-flame-small.gifKeep the standards high and the noise low. Do YOU have quality content?post-flame-small.gif

Can't get enough of Overclock.net? Keep up with us on Facebook!

For any time-sensitive issues, or anything pertaining to our business operations, email is a far better way to contact me than PM. Please remember you can contact any staff member via email to their username @overclocked.net.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 116)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
You sir are a genius!!!!!

What we need to do before they move on to 2.0 or 3.0 is get rid of (or find a way to use) PCIe X1, X2 (not sure if there is an X2), X4....They just mess up the board layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelabove go_quote.gif
Oh, and were you planning to Use Microsoft SuperGood Home, home premium, ultimate, home semiultimate, fiery, rainbow happiness, for new people, for semi new people, for dumb people, extremely basic, turtleshapped, caveman edition, platinum edition, icy cold grillz edition, fake diamond edition, real diamond edition, or Classic? I was thinking I would put Supergood Turtleshapped or Caveman Edition on my new DX19 rig.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 81)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
fab idea...the only thing holding that back would be market tolerance. Doesn't software have to be strictly coded to take advantage of SMP...and if so that renders it useless on uniprocessor systems. Thus until the market share is dominated multicore gpus, developers will still bring products to their largest market segment...

...and this concludes Poser's weekly market segment analysis and demand based production tutorial

HOLY CRAP!!!eek.gif
Its my first build/mod log...thumb.gif
***DELIDDING: A HOW NOT TO***
***DELIDDING pt2: A How to after how not to-ing***
pɐǝɥ ǝɥʇ uı ʎʞuoʍ sı ɹǝǝuoıd ...ʇsɐısnɥʇuǝ 939 ʇǝʞɔos
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 589 (Unique: 377)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poser View Post
fab idea...the only thing holding that back would be market tolerance. Doesn't software have to be strictly coded to take advantage of SMP...and if so that renders it useless on uniprocessor systems. Thus until the market share is dominated multicore gpus, developers will still bring products to their largest market segment...

...and this concludes Poser's weekly market segment analysis and demand based production tutorial
Software does have to be coded to take advantage of multiple processors/cores, though I think that if these cards were to be developed, it'd be aimed more at the server/workstation market, where many, if not most, applications are already SMP capable.

post-flame-small.gifKeep the standards high and the noise low. Do YOU have quality content?post-flame-small.gif

Can't get enough of Overclock.net? Keep up with us on Facebook!

For any time-sensitive issues, or anything pertaining to our business operations, email is a far better way to contact me than PM. Please remember you can contact any staff member via email to their username @overclocked.net.

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 113 (Unique: 95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
There isn't bottlenecking now. PCI-e has 16GB/s. PCI-e 2.0 has twice that and isn't even released yet. PCI-e 3.0 has moved to transfers? I'll be the first to say PCI-e 4.0 has a bandwidth of 10 million Teraflights.
Where are you getting 16GB/s?
Edit: nevermind, the 16GB/s comes from using all 32 lanes

The PCI Sig uses gigatransfers because instead of using 8 bits per transfer, PCI1.1 and 2.0 use 10 bits of encoding to transfer 8 bits of data.

PCI1.1 has a 2.5 GT/s or 2.0 effective gb/s transfer rate, 2.0 doubles that to 5.0 GT/s , 4.0 Effective

PCI3 loses the 10/8 transfer and only uses 8 bits to transfer 8 bits so it is an effective doubling of speed to at 8Gt/s

Quote:
Quote:
Alabama Overclocker
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 125)
I'm just gonna get myself some PCIe 5.0 and a 5GHz, 65536-core processor with 1GB of cache, 1TB of RAM, 1 PetaByte of storage, and dx19 video card. And my PC case will hover and keep itself at 0*C without modding.

Smart Phone: Motorola Droid @ 1.2GHz
Current ROM: SholesMod 2.0.6 RC

poke.gifdevil.gifeek.gifdoh.gif
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 01:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 105)
Dont forget microorganism cooling.

And what you meant to say was 5THz.

When is the saturation point going to happen. When are graphics going to become real damnit. When am I going to get in the game and got shot and die in BF2142 and experience falllling when you spawn on a beacon. Or getting thwomped by an elite in WoW.

kookoo.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in