[DIGI]Intel to postpone 3 45nm Quads - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[DIGI]Intel to postpone 3 45nm Quads

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 537 (Unique: 413)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriouslyHigh View Post
Eh, this is normal, it h-

wait, I should start something here.

OH MY GOD! THIS IS THE FIRST STEP OF A MONOPOLY!
WITH AMD CLEARLY DYING AND NO LONGER COMPETING WITH INTEL, THE EVIL EVIL INTEL, NOW THEY WILL MAKE DELAYS AND RAISE PRICES BY JANUARY 3RD 2008!

CURSE YOU INTEL! HOW QUICKLY YOU MOVE IN FOR THE KILL!

WITH NO AMD BARRIERS TO PROTECT US FROM THE DREMORA'S PRICES, WE ARE DOOMED FOREVER! WE NEED A HERO!
I see what you've done here, and I lik-

WUT OMG MONOPOLY! INTEL IS GOING TO START CHARGING 1500% MORE FOR THEIR PROCESSORS. WE'RE DOOMED! HOPE IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. WITHOUT AMD WE'RE DOOMED, DOOMED, MONOPOLY... FIRE... SCORCHED EARTH, END OF DAYS....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
I see what you've done here, and I lik-

WUT OMG MONOPOLY! INTEL IS GOING TO START CHARGING 1500% MORE FOR THEIR PROCESSORS. WE'RE DOOMED! HOPE IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. WITHOUT AMD WE'RE DOOMED, DOOMED, MONOPOLY... FIRE... SCORCHED EARTH, END OF DAYS....
CONSPIRACY NUTZ = --> INTEL IS = --> Delays = = all we can do is

NF7-S v2.0

2GB [email protected]/2-3-2-8 (weak!?!)confused.gif
Raptors/5000AAKS/7200.12
7800GS [email protected]/1350

post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
There's more to this. The 45nm CPUs occupy half the die surface of the 65nm (at the same transistor count) so they are far cheaper to produce, even at 12MB L2 cache. If the 45nm ramp is fine, why is Intel throwing money out the window when they could simply replace the Q6600 - Q6850 with CPUs on 45nm that are cheaper to produce...
odds are they stopped producing the majority of their 65nm products that will be replaced in the next 3-6 months already.

CPU's are tiny. they could have 500 million q6600 in a warehouse somewhere still...

"my theory"

produce/release q6600
stockup on them a bit
reseach 45nm
slowdown/stop 65nm
produce 45nm
stockup 45nm
continue to sell 65nm stock

then when 65nm is low then release the 45nm

"im sure" that if they plan to release the 45nm ones in march. they have already halted many 65nm chips to start getting supply ready. if they released it and had 5000 units on release day. they would look bad..

and feb/march is right about income tax time.. so that is a great time for intel to release them imo!

<offtopic>
i know as a child. i would always talk my mother into a 600$ walmart pc at income tax time.. every year basically

on the way out the door to walmart to get things we "need" she would tell me "your not getting a computer this year" "i know.." and i come home with one
</offtopic>

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPassTheFence go_quote.gif
Holds true to today, I'm 21 and still a punk kid at heart XD (but Im packing broadband now, woo hoo dL`in pr0nz up to 49877489187327 times faster)
^ best quote ever!!! ^ biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjon View Post
<offtopic>
i know as a child. i would always talk my mother into a 600$ walmart pc at income tax time.. every year basically

on the way out the door to walmart to get things we "need" she would tell me "your not getting a computer this year" "i know.." and i come home with one
</offtopic>
As a child? Walmart started selling PCs relatively recently. The most I was ever able to talk out of my folks was a couple of extra batman toys.

post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
As a child? Walmart started selling PCs relatively recently. The most I was ever able to talk out of my folks was a couple of extra batman toys.
Nice observation! Kids these days!
rep

LMAO!!!!

NF7-S v2.0

Raptors/5000AAKS/7200.12

post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 116 (Unique: 103)
I'm so happy with my decision to not wait for the 45nm chips and buy a q6600. Wtb programmers to start utilizing 4 cores with whats out now before intel/amd start coming out with more stuff. Same with dx10 before more graphics cards come out.
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 59)
Quote:
what walmart are you going to? my first pc (windows 98) was bought at walmart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPassTheFence go_quote.gif
Holds true to today, I'm 21 and still a punk kid at heart XD (but Im packing broadband now, woo hoo dL`in pr0nz up to 49877489187327 times faster)
^ best quote ever!!! ^ biggrin.gif
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

I def don't want to start up a heated rant or go wantonly .... BUT... it's all a marketing, hype scam. I work in IT (surprise?) and deal with 1000's of machines yearly... I see people with E6850ee's and all kinds of stuff they will not EVER need the computing power for... but the marketing machine continues to churn out hype and fear "If YOUUU wanna surf and view videos - YOU NEED this Octo-core PVVIVVI etc..." This delay is merely a marketing ploy to see what the intended demand for 45nm is, and usually a sign of fab problems. Intel has AMD in the crosshairs and could pull the trigger at a whim and send them packing aka stock plummeting, BUT that would mean MORE gov regulation, anti-monopoly flags being raised and a whole boat load of litigation suits... it's easier to keep AMD as a shell, churning out sub-par CPU's just to avoid the above conditions.
__Also it enables them to alleviate the constant innovation pressure to constantly produce b/c "who knows what AMD could whallop us with," well as a slave corp, that's not really possible. So this delay is merely testing the market waters, and also gives them leeway to work out bugs... I remember reading somewhere that the top end QX's have so power consumption issues...

Either way I HOPE TO HEAVEN that AMD surprises everyone b/c intel is clearly waiting to hammer us all with price fixing, hikes, gouging etc... You know it and I do... just check the pricing of their PII-III line Vs AMD XPs. AMD forced them to play a little more "fairly," but the prices were still out of the sky.

NF7-S v2.0

Raptors/5000AAKS/7200.12

post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 923 (Unique: 529)
I don't believe this report for a second. 45nm is cheaper for Intel to produce and sell. If they are delaying the processors, it is for manufacturing issues.

post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
I don't believe this report for a second. 45nm is cheaper for Intel to produce and sell. If they are delaying the processors, it is for manufacturing issues.
If they release the 45nm chips the 65's will be stuck on the shelves forever. They don't have to continue making 65nm chips, I suspect that when the sell out of 65nm stock they'll throw the 45's on the shelves. You're correct that if it doesn't go down this way, there are manufacturing problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in