[HACKADAY]Ultimate flame bait: Liquid cooled Arduino - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HACKADAY]Ultimate flame bait: Liquid cooled Arduino

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 726 (Unique: 481)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdek View Post
Have fun with that if you're not an EE!
You'd actually be surprised how easy it is to use as long as you know how logic gates and flip flops work, and some very basic computer architecture of course (like what buses and registers are). Anyone who can write a "Hello World" program in assembly can also learn to program an FPGA overnight. I know the documentation has a bunch of stuff that'll probably go way over most people's heads, but actually using it is really easy.

Kind of like computers and the average consumer. The inside of a PC looks all scary and complicated until you actually try and put it together. Then you realize it's nothing but a really expensive Lego set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 108)
Im still lost as to what this thing is used for. I dont care either. but if its now faster, then thats the whole point of being on this site.

I love Legos

~FOUNDER~
Best RPG Towny Minecraft Server projectmango.net
STRYKER-[ ]
(14 items)
CPU
4790k -4.8 ghz 1.3v
Motherboard
ASUS Z97 Mark S #1175
GPU
AORUS RTX 2080ti Waterforce Extreme
RAM
16G G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400 cas10
Hard Drive
intel 750 PCIe
Optical Drive
Samsung BluRay Drive
Power Supply
PC P&C Silencer MkIII 850
Cooling
tygon silver tubing + Koolance CPU-370 + xspc rx360
Case
Pinnacle18+Pedestal aluminum
Operating System
x64 Windows 8.1 Pro
Monitor
Monoprice 27" 1440p
Monitor
Monoprice 27" 1440p
Keyboard
WASD Keyboard
Mouse
elecom m-xt3drbk
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 130 (Unique: 110)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
You'd actually be surprised how easy it is to use as long as you know how logic gates and flip flops work, and some very basic computer architecture of course (like what buses and registers are). Anyone who can write a "Hello World" program in assembly can also learn to program an FPGA overnight. I know the documentation has a bunch of stuff that'll probably go way over most people's heads, but actually using it is really easy.

Kind of like computers and the average consumer. The inside of a PC looks all scary and complicated until you actually try and put it together. Then you realize it's nothing but a really expensive Lego set.
I realize they're not that difficult to program, but if you want to use one efficiently you need to be well versed in processor design...

sniper.gifCYBORG R.A.T. Owners Club
SC2: sKsVdek.597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM
FiX
Retired Staff

Rep: 142 (Unique: 115)
Quote:
The inside of a PC looks all scary and complicated until you actually try and put it together. Then you realize it's nothing but a really expensive Lego set.
Can I sig this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak go_quote.gif
The inside of a PC looks all scary and complicated until you actually try and put it together. Then you realize it's nothing but a really expensive Lego set.

post-flame-small.gifNew Zealand Overclock.net Clubpost-flame-small.gif

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 PM
B.O.W

Rep: 1287 (Unique: 749)
Quote:
Meh, Arduino is for nubs.

What you want for some real fun is a Xilinx FPGA.
sorry but I want to flash a couple of LEDs in a pattern - I think I'll stick with the Arduino. Thanks anyway.

[Project] Ω Reestablished / [Project]Nemesis i7 Revival
"A new Genesis is at hand, and I shall be its creator!"~Albert Wesker
"The best case mods are never finished, but in a perpetual state of evolution."~Flux
"Do not let the kindness of your heart be sullied by the underhandedness and lack of sincerity of those that you cross paths with." ~ Syrillian

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiX View Post
Can I sig this?
lol looks like you already did

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
sorry but I want to flash a couple of LEDs in a pattern - I think I'll stick with the Arduino. Thanks anyway.
If that's it then you don't even need the Arduino. All you need is a parallel port and cable

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 62)
Quote:

Lego never made my hands shake when I was setting in the heatsink...

What would you recommend for books? I've sort of got Ohm's law and basic power but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko1965 go_quote.gif
My wife said "It's me or the computer!" I still miss her.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 95)
Quote:
You'd actually be surprised how easy it is to use as long as you know how logic gates and flip flops work, and some very basic computer architecture of course (like what buses and registers are).
unfortunately 99% of the population wouldn't even know what a flip flop is let alone how they work.

I doubt that you hate windows and OSX etc for their simplicity

Hell i went from not even knowing how to connect two LEDs together to building a full blown LED and Fan controller with temperature probes and a LCD screen on this neat little platform.

it is also extremely cheap compared to the more professional kits especially when you omit the programmer and use the arduinos bootloader.

My Programming:
Steam Backup Tool - A backup tool for Steam
Better Dice - A 3D virtual dice roller

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenottawa View Post
Lego never made my hands shake when I was setting in the heatsink...

What would you recommend for books? I've sort of got Ohm's law and basic power but that's about it.
You don't need that much electrical knowledge tbh, mainly just computer architecture and logic. Sure once you've programmed it you need to hook it up to stuff so it can do something, but as long as you're not doing anything too fancy with it (like using it to capture VGA signals on your PC, or output to a monitor, or whatever else that requires separate circuitry) you'll be fine.

If you really want to learn it I suggest you start with any book on assembly programming. Once you understand how to do some basic stuff then move on to a computer architecture book and go from there. I have a book I can PM you the name of, I used it in college a few years ago and it's pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du-z View Post
unfortunately 99% of the population wouldn't even know what a flip flop is let alone how they work.

I doubt that you hate windows and OSX etc for their simplicity

Hell i went from not even knowing how to connect two LEDs together to building a full blown LED and Fan controller with temperature probes and a LCD screen on this neat little platform.

it is also extremely cheap compared to the more professional kits especially when you omit the programmer and use the arduinos bootloader.
For me, power and flexibility are far more important than simplicity. If I wanted simple I wouldn't be running a domain at home, nor would I use a managed switch or UTM box.

But yes, the Aruino has its use. If you know that all you want is something simple. But if you're buying something like this just to have fun with, an FPGA is a much better purchase (even though it's more expensive). Hell, you could even build a simple x86 CPU with one of those just for the hell of it. Actually, now that I think about it, that does sound like fun lol.

But there is a middle ground here, with CPLDs. They're smaller and wear out faster than FPGAs, but they're also much cheaper.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 28)
That's pretty awesome. I've always wanted to assemble and program my own Ardurino but I don't have the resources. Not that it would be anything more complicated than a simple fan controller, but I think it's pretty cool. I'm not very skilled in volt modding, though, so I probably wouldn't attempt this.

When in doubt, overclpost-flame-small.gifck smile.gif Steam ID = BobbyDude506
RIP Syrillian. Your spirit carries on with us here at OCN.

"I have known the evenings, mornings and afternoons; I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."

-T.S. Eliot

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi go_quote.gif
Nvidia...
"The Way it............. BSOD
Win32 and/or any Windows API in a nutshell:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris go_quote.gif
DirectX wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to deal with COM and Microsoft's butt-ugly syntax.
Code:
THISISAREALLYLONGTYPENAMEBECAUSEIFITWASNTTHENIWOULDFORGETWHATITDOES tiarltnbiiwtiwfwid = 0;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

"Even his griefs are a joy long after to one...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in