[Flurry] Day 74 Sales: Apple iPhone vs. Google Nexus One vs. Motorola Droid - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Flurry] Day 74 Sales: Apple iPhone vs. Google Nexus One vs. Motorola Droid

post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehrawk View Post
If I could get a Nexus One in my country I would have one. This is the main problem with the Nexus One. You can only buy it in four countries! The US, Singapore, the UK and Hong Kong. I really see this as a failure of distributing, and possibly marketing, rather than the product itself.

Not only is it limited to four countries. But there has been no information released as to whether it will be even coming to anywhere else.
good needs to hire some translators! those countries are basically all English speaking countries. Hong Kong and Singapore is pretty fluent in English.

I'm just a nobody passing by and throwing 2cents.gifeverywhere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothen View Post
. I don't want higher-ups determining the programs I can run on my device.

Hooray to more open computing!
You sir make a point which I absolutely agree with.

I can not stand how apple wants full control of the device even AFTER you have paid however much for it. Apple wants to run at&t, and completely control the user experience. I absolutely detest this.

OFF TOPIC:

I don't think any users on this forum are like this.. But, I work at a store and I actually had some of the stupidest customers I have ever had to deal with recently. They had an iphone and they wanted something to protect it incase it got dropped which is understandable. However, when I suggested a case, they proceeded to get pissed off at me because it did not have the hole in the case so you can see the apple on the back of the iphone.

I have met some stupid people in my life but, to get pissed off completely unprovoked just because a store doesn't have the exact iphone case you want leads me to believe you suffer from some serious mental disabilities. I can not for the life of me understand what the big deal about showing off that stupid apple is. Don't get me wrong at first I thought the cases were ok. However, after realizing that people get that hung up over showing off that stupid apple, I have to wonder if they are even buying it because they want an iphone, or are they buying it because they want to show off that they are "cool" and can afford the iphone?

post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowfool View Post
I agree with most of this. I have an iPhone, and I love it, but I know that it is not the best around in many regards.

What it does have is a LOT of support in all areas. The benefit that comes with popularity is that you know if there is something you want for your phone, there is going to be a way to get it. iPhone has the biggest selection of applications and accessories. That means no matter what I am looking for, I will be able to find it, easily, for my phone. I had to go a case for my phone the other day and there were dozens of selections. Of course, this also means you have to wade through a bunch of crap to find exactly what you want, but you will likely find exactly what you want.

So in a way you could say I like the iPhone because it is what is "cool" and "hip."
I can not fault you for this. Especially because you seem like a user who is gunna get full use out of the iphone. My problem isn't with this frame of mind. My problem is more towards people who argue like this.

Me "you should check out a nokia n900 if you really are gunna spend 500$ on an iphone"

Other person "But, the iphone is better it can do everything"

me "the nokia n900 is capable of multitasking, is going to have a decent library of applications capable of doing anything you need and has superior hardware so it has the possibility to grow in ways the iphone can't"

Other person "why would I need all that? the iphone can do everything I want! whats the point of getting anything more than an iphone?"

Me "you just told me you were going to pay the same price for an iphone as an n900 would cost, I was only making a suggestion for."

Next day

Other person "you have no idea what your talking about!, remind me never to take advice from you again! my friend becky knows so much about iphone she has had hers 3 weeks and its the best every!"

Its the difference in buying one because it is popular, and buying one because of the benefits of its popularity.

However, now that there are alternatives, I am hoping the market will even out. One of the things I can say I am greatful to the iphone for is creating great competition in the market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Excel Guru

Rep: 535 (Unique: 372)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Luke2 View Post
Do I sense a bit of jealousy?

If V had the Nexus One available now... I would already have one in my hand over the Iphone.
Verizon has the Droid, which in every way but weight is really the superior phone, so that reasoning doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowfool View Post
I agree with most of this. I have an iPhone, and I love it, but I know that it is not the best around in many regards.

What it does have is a LOT of support in all areas. The benefit that comes with popularity is that you know if there is something you want for your phone, there is going to be a way to get it. iPhone has the biggest selection of applications and accessories. That means no matter what I am looking for, I will be able to find it, easily, for my phone. I had to get a case for my phone the other day and there were dozens of selections. Of course, this also means you have to wade through a bunch of crap to find exactly what you want, but you will likely find exactly what you want.
Crappy network aside, I would want an iPhone that has GPS navigation capabilities on par with Google Navigation. I want an iPhone with a keyboard. I want an iPhone with upgradeable storage capacity. I would want an iPhone with 480p capabilities. I guess I just don't want an iPhone.

post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
Ok. I feel the need to chime in for some reason. I doubt I'm gunna win anyone over one way or another but, there are a few things I feel the need to point out.

A. Apple has a cult. The iphone has a cult following that worships it as if it were the lost arc. Correction more holy than the lost arc! Do not forget that. And it is because of that cult following which actually consist of intelligent people who put countless hours into developing applications for the iphone that it has all the amazing features and capabilities it does.

B. Phones with *WAY* better hardware have come out. There is no disputing this, there is no arguing what so ever. There are phones with better camra's built in, better processors, better *everything* hardware wise.

C. Your average consumer isn't a tech junkie. So it doesn't matter if better phones have come out. For the last few years Apple has gone unchallenged. If people wanted a business phone they got blackberry if they wanted a media phone they went iphone. Your average consumer doesn't pay attention to new phones and look at technical specs. They believe Iphone is all that exist for applications.

D. Iphone is doomed to decrease in popularity. Unlike the desktop market where you have windows for general public, linux for various servers and random applications, and mac for whatever industries use mac. Iphone is purely aimed at consumers. The phone market doesn't have a "standard operating system" yet. If tech geeks keep pumping out applications for the andriod market, and andriod phones keep expanding. Before long Iphone won't be able to keep up. A single coorperation can no put the hundreds of thousands of man hours that *can* go into an open sourced operating system. The hardware is already there for not just droid but, maemo. If geeks put in the work to make great apps that you don't have to "jailbreak" the phone to use, sooner or later people are gunna as themselves "why get an Iphone I have to pay for applications on when, I can get this _____ which has nothing but, free apps that play just as well!"

E. Apple is a niche market. I am not trying to "hate" on apple or anything or anyone who owns apple products but, the fact is apple products are for the "coffee shop" crowd. Because it was the only high end heavily media based phone on the market for so long it expanded past what it would have had people had other options.

F. I hate steve jobs. Steve jobs is a tyrant about having control over his products. For all his hubris, I really hope he gets whats coming to him. I realize that in the world of tech, ego is a given for any product manufacturer and company "we have the best ______" but, this guy really freaken believes everything he says regardless of if he is right or wrong.. I really hope he gets whats coming to him in that respect.
I'll have to agree with that. I feel with the iphone and the ipad, it's aimed more towards consumers with less tech know how than an average user on OCN. While it is a good decision from a business standpoint (expanding your consumer base), it does kind of alienate those who are used to having more freedom with their devices.

As for jailbreaking iphones... I really don't think that's an accurate basis to judge a phone. I would expect a smartphone (I only own a basic phone at the moment) to be able to be fairly customizable software wise. This I feel gives a device a true "mine" feeling. Iphones... not so much. If we have to go outside of what Steve Jobs deems appropriate for us consumers just to get a satisfactory experience, I feel that that's a failure on Apple's part to make a quality phone.

But I guess this just goes to show you that you can't please everybody.
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
There's a reason no nexus ones have sold...me and my dad both bought one and they have crap loads of bugs, glitches, and signal problems. Worst phone I've ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1ForFrags go_quote.gif
Canada has to spend almost nothing on military defense because they're America's hat.

Nobody F's with America or our hat. Nobody.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 226 (Unique: 176)
why is this circulating all over the internet?
They didnt even advertise the thing, and its only availbale online.
Its not a mass market device, im sure they werent expecting to sell millions of units.

YOu cant even compare sales of these phones.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7412 go_quote.gif
Hey, at least call of duty's going green! unlike battlefield 3

Modern warfare 3=made out of 100% recycled materials
Quotes (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Torch go_quote.gif
I laughed when I read he heard a loud pop, that must have been his idiocy booting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafljhy go_quote.gif
indeed, this is just amazing. gotta hand it to the lady. she's got some real balls.

My Trading Rep: HWC OCN Heat Ebay
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
I like Google for the most part, but they're starting to worry me with how big they're getting. As a dedicated cyberpunk fan, I live each day in fear of megacorporations.
Grow up?

"Oh IW, first the console, then lean and all the other stuff, sometimes I think you do this on purpose, like you know Kotick is a retard and the only way you can pull one over on him is doing stuff like this.

Either that or you think PC users are dumber than the average eggplant." - E0N8 from the IW forums (17/11/09)

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 348 (Unique: 254)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 5 View Post
Grow up?
No. If I grow up, I can't fight Captain Hook with Peter Pan any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 go_quote.gif
I did not read the article & I have an urge to write something stupid, but looks like I have been beaten to it by a lot of other people.
Founder of the Unofficial OCN Science and Technology Lovers Club

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt go_quote.gif
MrDeodorant is putting on a fanboy spanking seminar and smelling fresh while doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt go_quote.gif
I'm gonna go on an Anti-MrDeodorant Guerrilla campaign. I'm gonna make a new name called "Stank Armpit" and I'm going to repost everything you do...
go_quote.gif
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 354 (Unique: 289)
I think its lackluster sales are more attributed to the fact that you can only get a discount on this phone if you get it through google and T-mobile. Google is getting ready to release the nexus one on AT&T so that should improve sales. Just for example I was looking into getting an unlocked nexus one to run on Rogers, but the phone costs over $700 CAD to purchase unlocked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in