[Gearlog] Droid 2 Was Dropped, Didn't Explode - Motorola Employee - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Gearlog] Droid 2 Was Dropped, Didn't Explode - Motorola Employee

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 232 (Unique: 196)
http://www.gearlog.com/2010/12/droid...didnt_expl.php

Quote:
Things, however, may not be quite what they seem. We got word this morning from a Motorola employee involved with Droid development that the phone may not have exploded at all. The Droid 2 in question "was a phone that got dropped," the employee told PCMag. "[T]he guy didn't notice the glass had cracked [...]so when he put it to his ear, he cut himself."
I said it was fishy when the he made the initial claim. An exploding phone would stop working. His still works. Fail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 96)
lol so the guy probably lied to try to get money or something?

Team Explosm!
Rest in Peace, Syrillian, you will be missed by us all.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 609 (Unique: 499)
Well people are stupid. The only thing that could explode would be the battery, not the screen. A cap could blow too, but not enough force to break the phone.

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
_02
Retired Staff

Rep: 195 (Unique: 157)
Wait, his phone WORKED after it "exploded"?

Oh man...

Imperial Shenanigans.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
I smell an idiot.

If you believe in Cl4p-Tp , have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
Game's I'm currently playing: Planetside 2 (nikontheikon) BF3, Borderlands 2, The 3rd Birthday, Persona 3.

BF3: nikontheikon(of course nikon was taken already rolleyes.gif )
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-Guru go_quote.gif

Looks like it cant stay up, I've never had this problem, but i'd say your card is fine smile.gif
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 194 (Unique: 178)
I laughed when I read he heard a loud pop, that must have been his idiocy booting up.

echo "The `uname` Club"

The Windows 8 Protest Group

I use my simple mind to give simple answers to complex questions
- John Denham
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
PC Gaming Master Race

Rep: 450 (Unique: 355)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esocid View Post
I said it was fishy when the he made the initial claim. An exploding phone would stop working. His still works. Fail.
LOL, yea, in the other thread about that guy I had posted that I would LOVE to get my hands on his phone and see it power up without a problem.

I also laughed hysterically at the iPhone lovers defending their phones to the death in that thread Guess there's not much of an exploding Droid to laugh at now...

Quote:
He showed off the phone, shattered and covered in blood, a pretty convincing sight as it appeared on the local news.

Quote:
The explanation doesn't explain the "loud pop" that Embry heard before blood began trickling down his face. No word on whether Motorola will officially announce these findings to the press.
That pop came from his pants when he believed he could earn a quick buck from a false story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 296 (Unique: 243)
I said it in the other thread. The gf prob threw it at his head for being a dumb redneck.

There was no explosion.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 AM
PC Gaming Master Race

Rep: 450 (Unique: 355)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
I said it in the other thread. The gf prob threw it at his head for being a dumb ******.

There was no explosion.
You might want to edit that word out, it may be offensive to some on here and you'd get a warning/infraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 114 (Unique: 104)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
I said it in the other thread. The gf prob threw it at his head for being a dumb redneck.

There was no explosion.
2nd this, however, I doubt that someone as dumb as him could ever get a girlfriend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in