Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

View Single Post
post #216 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 PM
PurdueBoy
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

Next steps;

1) Grind off some of the excess, which will be tricky because the metal is thin. Some spots, I won't even bother since it will be hidden inside the case.

2) Add body filler to sculpt the join. I've got an idea to use sandpaper wrapped around a piece of PVC to get a nice smooth curve. We'll see how that works out.

3) Prime and prepare to paint with the rest of the exterior.

Then I can start on the front-side panel window!

Throw some 3M spray adhesive on the sandpaper and stick it to the pvc. Great for sanding awkward areas. I sometimes make my own foam sanding blocks with unusual shapes to sand tough spots and just glue some sand paper to them. Don't have to worry about uneven surfaces like you sometimes with when only using your fingers.

If you're worried about the strength of the joint you could always throw some pop rivets through the handle areas of the cookie sheet. Wouldn't be too hard to cover those up with the body filler.

Hmm are you going to be using that Everglass stuff you used on the front panel as the filler? I looked it up and supposedly it's flexible and has Kevlar strands in it, but I'd still be worried about flex cracks. Definitely going to want to be gentle with it after it's finished.

I can't think of any ideas to avoid any issue that might arise from that. Maybe get the joint to look decent with filler and sanding and then getting a large sheet of plastic and thermo-forming it over your side panel as a veneer, then attaching it with some kind of adhesive and trimming the excess.