[Neowin] Windows 8 Consumer Preview Download - Page 32 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Neowin] Windows 8 Consumer Preview Download

post #311 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
I like the free pinball smile.gif

GTX 1080 Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club 
 British Overclockers Club
[img]
Makes me happy!
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1800x
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz ddr4
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Optical Drive
Lite-On IHAS124-19 v.B
Power Supply
Seasonic 750w Prime Titanium
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Philips Brilliance 27" 144MHz G-Sync 272G5DYEB
Monitor
Acer ZeroFrame 27" 60MHz K272HLE
Keyboard
QPAD MK_85
Mouse
MadCatz R.A.T. 6+
Mouse
Epicgear Hybrid Pad
Other
Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 30)
You know after finally getting around to installing this I have to say...I really really enjoy it. Haven setup any games yet (gonna try out BF3 and a few of my Steam games) and see whats up. So far, with all the complaining people are doing with the Metro UI while yes I agree its much better off on a tablet pc, I don't hate it.....which is weird cause during the Developer Preview I couldn't get use to it, but maybe cause it was on my old laptop....anyways I have to say that I like it and ill be picking it up. The task manager.....BLEW MY MIND....its perfect, and the layout is great. Ill stick with this for awhile, maybe ill try this on my laptop and set it up for a media PC.

Who knows, Metro starts to grow on you, althought Microsoft would be smart to setup something on the final release to allow you to turn that off but otherwise its a great OS, and im sold

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime
post #313 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschisholm View Post

Disregarding the Metro UI, is there anywhere I could read about the new features and actual improvements about windows 8, which make it better than windows 7? Because if I can use object dock like above I would buy it just for the improvements in the actual OS, if they're worth it.

Here is a little list of some features I found.
Quote:
General Notes

Windows 8: Base line memory usage dropped from 540 MB to 281 MB.

The lock-screen can now display user content.

Touch-based passwords, essentially you tap on three points of an image to unlock the machine.

Like Windows Phone, the start page uses the metro style with live tiles.

There is a heavy emphasis on full screen applications.

Application specific and system settings share the same space on the user interface. It appears that applications will need to indicate which systems settings are relevant.

New version of Internet Explorer will be completely free of chrome. All of that functionality is hidden in application bars that slide into view.

Spell check is included system wide.

Developer preview includes Visual Studio 11 Express, Expression Blend 5. There is no timeline for the next milestone, which is the public Beta. Intern updates will be pushed to the preview machines on an as needed basis. The preview will be available starting tonight as http://dev.windows.com at for x86/x64.

Application Integration

Windows 8 will have extension points known as “charms”. An example of a charm is the “share charm” which shows all the ways text can be shared such as email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Applications can register themselves inside a charm by implementing the correct interfaces. Meanwhile other applications can indicate they are capable of sending information to the charm. The concept is very much like JavaScript mashups or classic OLE, but with a lot more thought about what those interactions should be.

System wide search is now supported. Again, applications can register themselves as a search provider.

Applications can expose files directly from the cloud for use by other applications. One does not need to copy files such as images to the local hard drive before other applications can access them.

Developing for Windows 7: Classic platforms:

· HTML/JavaScript on Internet Explorer

· C/C++ on Win32

· C#/VB on .NET and Silverlight

Developing for Windows 8: Metro Style

Windows Kernel is still at the bottom of the stack

WinRT is the new OS-level API layer. This is the new native API for Windows, it isn’t a new layer on top of Win32.

You can access WInRT from C/C++, C#/VB, or JavaScript. XAML is the UI layer for C, C++, C#, and Visual Basic. HTML/CSS will continue to be used as the UI layer for JavaScript.

Visual Studio will have project templates for the various styles of Windows 8 applications. The first demonstration is a JavaScript-based application. The application isn’t compiled but it is packaged into a bundle that includes all the html and JavaScript files needed by it. Windows 8 runs it directly, there is no need to launch the web browser.

As alluded to above, JavaScript can access the native functionality from the WinRT API. In the keynote demo it only took a couple lines of code to expose the new Windows open file dialog. Since Facebook was already installed on the machine the open file dialog showed images from the presenter’s Facebook page. The JavaScript application had no networking code at all, this link between it and Facebook was handled entirely by the platform.

Expression Blend now supports HTML and CSS with much

The HTML 5 grid proposal is essential to building Windows 8 applications. Without it supporting the wide variety of screen resolutions that Windows 8 runs on would be very difficult.

Metro style applications are automatically suspended when not visible. This was done to prolong battery life.

App Stores

As expected there is now going to be a Windows store for distributing applications. The technological aspects of application licensing is handled by the by store itself, one merely has to indicate basic information such as price and whether or not there is a demo period.

A certification process is required for offering applications in the Windows store. The tools used to certify applications will be given to developers so they can see and correct violations before they formally submit the application.

The application for accessing the Windows 8 store is actually written using JavaScript over the WinRT API.

The app store is not limited to Metro style applications, traditional Win32 applications can also be offered via the store.

Upgrading from Silverlight to Windows 8

In the demo all the of the existing XAML worked as-is. The presenter just needed to change the namespaces (e.g. System.Windows becomes Windows.UI) and tweak the networking code. With only a couple more lines of code he was able to register the application as a search provider.

Moving from Windows 8 to Windows phone just required an extra line or two.

Hardware Support

A new mode called “Connected Standby” is inspired by mobile devices. The power consumption is very low with occasional spikes as the Windows temporarily turns on the network connection to allow applications to receive updates. Since the system is never actually turned off it comes alive instantly.

Max hard drive size is 256 terabytes. Windows 7 was limited to a 2 terabyte boot drive.

The entire platform is built to use hardware accelerated graphics. Metro style applications will use them by default, no additional coding is needed to enable it.

The Sensor Fusion API will combine the information from the gyro, accelerometer, and magnetometer. Getting basic information such as the physical orientation of the device takes three lines of code.

The networking stack now supports concepts such as the side-channels in 3G.

For the give-away they are offering a Tablet running Windows 8 and Visual Studio.

Refresh and Reset

Using the Refresh command will remove everything except personal information/settings. Metro-style applications will be retained, any Win32 style application will be removed. This is one from a baseline image and should be run in response to system problems such as viruses.

The Reset command will completely wipe the PC. All personal information is removed and it is returned to the factory settings as if it were just purchased new.

There is a command line tool to update the baseline image. This would be used to add applications such as Visual Studio or Office to the standard image. Enterprise users would most likely want their companies custom software also included in this baseline image.

Cloud Services

Application settings, themes, passwords, etc. can by synchronized across machines using a Windows Live account.

The Windows address book pulls in contacts from all sources including social networking sites and exposes them via your Windows Live account. Likewise shared calendars are aggregated.

Windows SkyDrive is available to all users with a Windows Live account. Developers can access it as if it were a normal disk drive.

Windows Live allows one machine to access another even if it is behind a firewall. Companies that are concerned about information security should take care, as this allows common users with no technical skills easily move otherwise restricted files from their workstation to home machine without even being in the building.

Microsoft is expecting developers to use Windows Live to connect their applications together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #314 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post

I know about the classic desktop. I tried the OS last night. I found that even using the classic desktop still felt clumsy and less intuitive. To access programs I was constantly forgetting no real start menu existed any longer, so to initiate new IE instances I had to use ctrl-N, which I dislike because it re-instantiates the last URL accessed (as one example of a necessary workaround).
To shut down, I ended up using winkey + r, and then a shutdown command line.
I didn't feel anywhere near this cramped-in and frustrated when I used the Windows 7 public beta umpty years ago before it went RTM. I wasn't crazy about it, but it felt like a cleaner version of Vista, basically. Which was nice.
Win8... is not nice.

Why not try organising the Start Screen? You can create multiple groups for your applications to make it easier. smile.gif

Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.20GHz on Air proof.gif

Pentium 4 516 E0 @ 4.1GHz on Air proof.gif
post #315 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 PM
P.J
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
Quote:
Windows 8 will have built-in support of USB 3.0 for better power management and longer battery life.[26][27]

Any speed benchmark?

Quote:
Windows 8 includes WDDM 1.2 and DXGI 1.2. New features were first previewed at the Windows BUILD conference and include performance improvements as well as support for stereoscopic 3D rendering and video playback.
Other major features include preemptive multitasking with finer granularity (DMA buffer, primitive, triangle, pixel, or instruction-level), reduced memory footprint, improved resource sharing, and faster timeout detection and recovery. 16-bit color surface formats (565, 5551, 4444) are mandatory in Windows 8, and Direct3D 11 Video supports YUV 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0/4:1:1 video formats with 8, 10, and 16-bit precision, as well as 4 and 8-bit palletized formats.

So possible to play 4:2:2 10bit MPEG2 videos with its media player?

post #316 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Stock *ahem*

Rep: 307 (Unique: 237)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J View Post

Quote:
Windows 8 will have built-in support of USB 3.0 for better power management and longer battery life.[26][27]
Any speed benchmark?
Quote:
Windows 8 includes WDDM 1.2 and DXGI 1.2. New features were first previewed at the Windows BUILD conference and include performance improvements as well as support for stereoscopic 3D rendering and video playback.
Other major features include preemptive multitasking with finer granularity (DMA buffer, primitive, triangle, pixel, or instruction-level), reduced memory footprint, improved resource sharing, and faster timeout detection and recovery. 16-bit color surface formats (565, 5551, 4444) are mandatory in Windows 8, and Direct3D 11 Video supports YUV 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0/4:1:1 video formats with 8, 10, and 16-bit precision, as well as 4 and 8-bit palletized formats.
So possible to play 4:2:2 10bit MPEG2 videos with its media player?

What practical difference would there be, anyway?
post #317 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Didn't we hate the mouse at one stage and think it was stupid and pointless? Sure, I'm not totally convinced yet but it's pretty much a demo. However, businesses will hopefully have a more classic OS. I really hope MS doesn't screw up. I reckon the Metro UI if it is forced upon us should at least slide up and fade into view instead of just splattering on our screens. I love the app store in Windows Store, will make the public hopefully buy legally more often if they can introduce it well.

post #318 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post

I know about the classic desktop. I tried the OS last night. I found that even using the classic desktop still felt clumsy and less intuitive. To access programs I was constantly forgetting no real start menu existed any longer, so to initiate new IE instances I had to use ctrl-N, which I dislike because it re-instantiates the last URL accessed (as one example of a necessary workaround).
To shut down, I ended up using winkey + r, and then a shutdown command line.
I didn't feel anywhere near this cramped-in and frustrated when I used the Windows 7 public beta umpty years ago before it went RTM. I wasn't crazy about it, but it felt like a cleaner version of Vista, basically. Which was nice.
Win8... is not nice.

um....have you not heard of pinning IE to the task bar? Right click it and open new window. anyway you should be using chrome tongue.gif

Just use ALT + F4 to shut down???!

I think people who are struggling are just those who don't explore and know the short cuts for a lot of stuff.
post #319 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Soapy View Post

Didn't we hate the mouse at one stage and think it was stupid and pointless? Sure, I'm not totally convinced yet but it's pretty much a demo. However, businesses will hopefully have a more classic OS. I really hope MS doesn't screw up. I reckon the Metro UI if it is forced upon us should at least slide up and fade into view instead of just splattering on our screens. I love the app store in Windows Store, will make the public hopefully buy legally more often if they can introduce it well.

Yeah, the main problem is lack of a good transition between metro and desktop. If they had a 3d cube or sliding transition to the desk top (or had an option somewhere to choose what transition) it would make a world of difference.

I like w8 very much but it seems weird every time when switching between metro and desktop.
post #320 of 362 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Rust Buckets for Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist07 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Soapy View Post

Yeah, the main problem is lack of a good transition between metro and desktop. If they had a 3d cube or sliding transition to the desk top (or had an option somewhere to choose what transition) it would make a world of difference.

I like w8 very much but it seems weird every time when switching between metro and desktop.

Move mouse to top left corner of screen while on Metro and thumbnail of desktop appears you can click on, or Alt-Tab.

Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in