[TheRegister]Apple begs ex-Google bods to fix crap maps app - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TheRegister]Apple begs ex-Google bods to fix crap maps app

post #21 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post

Agreed, $85k won't be swaying any engineers away from Google, I'd estimate $125k is where offers should be starting for that kind of programming.
Yeah, $85K is the going rate of a Google intern.... not an engineer with a few years of experience.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google-Salaries-E9079.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Those are people who just finished their contract with Google and need a job.
$85K still isn't that much for a contractor especially in California... and especially for Google.

Contractors tend to make a bit more than than salary employees for equivalent work. This because they are not paying for benefits and the short-term on-demand nature of the job.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Quote:

Those are people who just finished their contract with Google and need a job.
$85K still isn't that much for a contractor especially in California... and especially for Google.

Contractors tend to make a bit more than than salary employees for equivalent work. This because they are not paying for benefits and the short-term on-demand nature of the job.

To add to that (in further response to 3930K), there aren't many computer programmers looking for jobs for very long, there is enough of a demand for them right now that they don't have to settle for less money than they're worth just to get a job. When a studio I was at closed in November, only 10% of the programmers were still looking for a job after 3 weeks, and those 10% were mostly because they were hoping not to have to move out of state.

post #23 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 62)
Quote:

lol
Not even Google can fix this mess.

heh...how wrong you are...I don't expect Apple's maps to be at the level of Google maps any time soon, if ever -- much in the same way that I don't think Bing will ever be up to Google standards -- but I would be seriously surprised if Apple's maps weren't usable within a month from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

"Even his griefs are a joy long after to one that remembers all that he wrought and endured."
~ Homer, The Odyssey
FLAC > foobar2000 > Xonar Essence ST > Sennheiser HD600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post

I'm sure a memo is soon to go out at Google:
"If Apple offers you anything, we'll double it."

biggrin.gif

"Watch this place six months from now.....All of a sudden the "***" fans will claim it's not about who has the fastest card....#greenteam"

Cards to date: GTX 580 1.5gb -- GTX 590 Limited Edition -- GTX 580 3gb SLI -- GTX 670 SuperClocked 4gb SLI -- GTX 670 SuperClocked 4gb 3 Way SLI -- GTX 680 4gb SLI -- GTX 680 4gb 3 Way SLI -- GTX Titan SLI -- GTX 780Ti Superclocked SLI -- GTX Titan X SuperClocked SLI
post #25 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoyster View Post

heh...how wrong you are...I don't expect Apple's maps to be at the level of Google maps any time soon, if ever -- much in the same way that I don't think Bing will ever be up to Google standards -- but I would be seriously surprised if Apple's maps weren't usable within a month from now.

Apple has $100B in cash... they can buy the talent to get the maps as good.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #26 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Apple has $100B in cash... they can buy the talent to get the maps as good.

I believe it. The question is how long will it take? But I was making a weaker claim -- that they'll be good within a month, even if not as good as Google's by then. It'll take longer to get as good as Google's, just because of all of the effort Google has put into their maps over the years. And look at the numbers: Apple has a handful of maps experts, and Google has over a thousand. By sheer brute force, they'll will be able to maintain their edge for a while (diminishing returns notwithstanding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

"Even his griefs are a joy long after to one that remembers all that he wrought and endured."
~ Homer, The Odyssey
FLAC > foobar2000 > Xonar Essence ST > Sennheiser HD600
post #27 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gaming Master Race

Rep: 450 (Unique: 355)
So an iOS 6 user walks into a bar. Or a restaurant. Or a river... I don't even know. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif

post #28 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast Gamer

Rep: 109 (Unique: 99)
Apple needs to use that 100 billion to buy fleets of cars and start driving down all those streets!

Blood for the Blood God!

CPU
Intel i7 5930K
Motherboard
EVGA Micro2
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Founder's Edition
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB
Hard Drive
Crucial Mx500 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB Fire Cuda Gaming SSHD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 4TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Case
BeQuiet! Darkbase Pro 900
Monitor
Acer Predator X34P 120hz G-Sync 3440x1440 1900R
Monitor
Dell U2711 2560x1440 60hz
Monitor
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync
Keyboard
Razer Black Widow Chroma v2
Mouse
Razer Naga Trinity
Mousepad
SoloQ Large Desk Mat 28.5"x 12.75"
Audio
Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum
Audio
HyperX Cloud II
Other
Razer Orbweaver Chroma
▲ hide details ▲

post #29 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis142 View Post

Then Google better be ready to offer ultra-high speed connections without a data cap, to everybody. Because as it is, ISP's aren't as excited about cloud computing as Google frown.gif

It looks like they're going to. The fiber rollout in Kansas City should pave the way for more populous tech related areas like DC/NOVA, NY, The bay area, And silicon valley

FLAC>FOOBAR2000/ROCKBOX>Fiio E7>FiioL7 LOD/UDAC2>O2>HD650/HD428
sniper.gifaaskull.gif<The Official Cooler Master Storm Sniper Club>aaskull.gifsniper.gif

Hidden Text Below! (Click for funny)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope go_quote.gif
I love how the concept of using powerful computers for actual work really throws some people for a loop...

----
"Yeah, I agree with that. Some guy at my college has a pair of black and red Beats Solo and he only uses his Beats headphones when he is wearing his red hoodie and black jeans. When he isn't wearing his hoodie and jeans he uses a cheap pair of Sony headphones."

"surely it'd be cheaper to buy a red hat ? also the sound quality would be better as well"

post #30 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 265 (Unique: 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

So an iOS 6 user walks into a bar. Or a restaurant. Or a river... I don't even know. biggrin.gif

I genuinely lol'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrdrdrd View Post

It looks like they're going to. The fiber rollout in Kansas City should pave the way for more populous tech related areas like DC/NOVA, NY, The bay area, And silicon valley

Google already looks set to do Apple TV before Apple does via their google fiber service too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in