[ARS] Apple: Beginning February 2015, App Store submissions need to be 64-bit - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ARS] Apple: Beginning February 2015, App Store submissions need to be 64-bit

post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 100)
this is about andriod. They're aiming to keep all the good apps away from andriod.

Basically andriod isn't close to supporting 64bit across the whole environment. this will make many apps apple exclusive. That's all this is about... this is also about forcing people on old ipads to upgrade and old iphones to upgrade.

though i suspect the ipad upgrade is the biggest issue on their list.

[URL="https://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club/0_40"]Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club
Deep-6
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen+ 7 2700
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING
GPU
GTX 970
RAM
GSkill Ripjaw V DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung Pro 970 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Smart Zero
Cooling
NZXT Kracken M22
Case
Fractal Design Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Core I5-4690K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Gene
GPU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970
RAM
gskill sniper
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo
Power Supply
Seasonic X-650
Cooling
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.B
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer K242hl
Keyboard
Corsair Raptor K30
Mouse
Logitech MX518
Audio
Sennheiser - MOMENTUM Over-the-Ear Headphones
CPU
FX 8320
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
GPU
MSI r9-280x gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) BLT2KIT8G3D1869DT1TX0
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA
Optical Drive
ASUS DVD/RW
Power Supply
XFX 750W Pro
Cooling
Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP15
Cooling
Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP15
Cooling
Fractal Design Silent Series R2 FD-FAN-SSR2-140
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Corsair h100
Case
Fractile Design R4
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) SP1
Monitor
Asus VH226 22" HD LED
Keyboard
Corsair K30
Mouse
Logitec MX518 Gaming Mouse
Other
APC BACK-UPS 1300G
Other
Rosewill RNX-N600PCE, Dual Band Wireless N600 Wi-Fi Adapter
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 145 (Unique: 116)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azanimefan View Post

this is about andriod. They're aiming to keep all the good apps away from andriod.

Basically andriod isn't close to supporting 64bit across the whole environment. this will make many apps apple exclusive. That's all this is about... this is also about forcing people on old ipads to upgrade and old iphones to upgrade.

But if developers stopped supporting 32-bit they'd ostracise a large portion of iOS devices so that's unlikely to happen for a while.

post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 PM
sɪɴɢɪɴɢ ɢᴏᴅᴅᴇss

Rep: 352 (Unique: 304)
Quote:

As much as I despise Apple to it's core, I just don't see this.

They are not forbidding 32bit apps and any company wanting to distribute an app to the masses on any system right now is going to submit a 32bit version regardless of also having to submit a 64bit.

It looks like a slow push to eventually get all apps 64bit which is a good thing.
Then once 99% of apps are 64bit we can do away with 32bit CPUs.

Once 32bit CPUs are done way with - which would also require all OS's to be 64bit - then everything will be 64bit.

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." ― Carl Sagan
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." ― Christopher Hitchens
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:

Well I love Android but this is a good move by Apple. And btw, the applications submitted to the App Store should include x64 support, not just be explicitly x64. Also, it's about time chip makers started to make x64 chips (Qualcomm, Samsung, Nvidia...etc).
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 82 (Unique: 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

I updated the OP about "include".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post

Actually no. If you want to make an application for iPhones, it must go trough the Apple Store. As for 32 vs 64, the vast majority of applications do not require nor gain anything from the extra 32 bits. More so, its actually less efficient in those applications. I agree in a sense that legacy applications makes things harder on the OS people, but that's because the developers typically come up with hacky solutions to some things... kinda like why Windows 10 is not Windows 9.

But, if you can explain to me why or how most applications take advantage of 64 bits, I would appreciate it.
In addition to the certain workloads that benefit from 64-bit (which isn't actually many in smartphone applications).... the real benefit in performance would come from ARMv8 ISA itself. During the move to the 64-bit instruction set, ARM did some work to remove some legacy designs which simplified the registers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Memory usage should actually go down a bit tongue.gif

64bit memory usage is higher then 32bit yes, but right now you have both 64bit and 32bit being loaded simultaneously. Once you cut out all traces of 32bit libraries, overall memory usage should be lower.
Why would memory go down in a 64-bit vs 32-bit compare (ignoring multiple libraries having to be loaded)?

A 64-bit pointer takes up more space than a 32-bit pointer?

I took what he was saying as right now with fat binarys you have to load 2 sets of libraries when you cut out the 32bit libs you use less RAM because you're 64 only.

The Infantry's primary role is close combat, which is characterized by extreme violence and physiological shock, close combat is callous and unforgiving FM 3-21.8
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

I took what he was saying as right now with fat binarys you have to load 2 sets of libraries when you cut out the 32bit libs you use less RAM because you're 64 only.

Yes, but most applications are still 32-bit only and that wouldn't be an issue.

In 32-bit vs 64-bit..... 64-bit should take a bit more more memory (something like 1-10%).

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 143 (Unique: 128)
I really loathe Apple but I agree with this move. If you dont make the devs do this they never will.

sneaky.gif: : The Official Corsair H50/H70 Hydro Series Club : : sneaky.gif

post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

In 32-bit vs 64-bit..... 64-bit should take a bit more more memory (something like 1-10%).

I agree but I don't think that was his point but I'm sure he'll be along to correct me if I'm wrong

The Infantry's primary role is close combat, which is characterized by extreme violence and physiological shock, close combat is callous and unforgiving FM 3-21.8
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 605 (Unique: 370)
Quote:

32 bit = less memory than 64 bit
64 bit = more memory than 32 bit
32 bit and 64 bit = more memory than a single of the two.

Ignoring the fact that both both 32 bit libs and 64 bit libs are loaded simultaneously as is, is like ignoring to put lemon in a lemon cake. Switching the whole system to purely 64 bit ( their goal ), will yield less memory usage overall.
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Quote:

32 bit = less memory than 64 bit
64 bit = more memory than 32 bit
32 bit and 64 bit = more memory than a single of the two.

Ignoring the fact that both both 32 bit libs and 64 bit libs are loaded simultaneously as is, is like ignoring to put lemon in a lemon cake. Switching the whole system to purely 64 bit ( their goal ), will yield less memory usage overall.

and that makes me correct..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in