[Techspot] AMD Catalyst Omega Drivers - Page 81 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Techspot] AMD Catalyst Omega Drivers

post #801 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
can someone check if gaming evolved app records mantle content? my crossfire setip with mantle doesnt record anything but a black screen.

i7 [email protected] / M7 Hero / 16gb Vengeance / EK Custom Loop / EVGA 1080 Ti FE / Xonar Phobeus / Samsung 850 120GB / WD Black 1 TB / WD Green 1.5 TB / WD Black 5 TB / AKG K550 / DeathAdder / Dell u2713hm/ XFX 850 Gold + / Evolv Glass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #802 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:46 AM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1794 (Unique: 1173)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

Well, you are weighing the results all wrong. Downsampling and supersampling is for "textures", not "texture edges". That is what AF and SMAA is for.
For your comparison: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

What's assuming the game even supports better textures once you go to 4K. 4K right now for most game is just a resolution bump to improve sharpness and not textures. SSAA works in games like BF4 and you can easily tell. If this was so amazing AMD and Nvidia would have had it in their driver ages ago.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

post #803 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
SSAA doesn't rely on better textures existing to work better on textures and other 2D assets than most other AA methods.

Most AA focuses on geometry and/or edges. SSAA works on everything, the whole image.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #804 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Just tried VSR in Elite: Dangerous. It was quite an improvement over the integrated post-processing AA methods. No IQ problems in this title, even with text (as virtually all text is on 3D surfaces anyway).

Only issue I've encountered so far is that if the desktop resolution is left at native, the game cannot be alt-tabbed back into while set to a higher resolution. Not sure whether that is the driver's fault, or the game's.
Why would it need to be shader based to work on all cards?

Virtually all AMD GPUs can scale resolutions, and have been able to do so for quite some time, with next to zero performance hit, without being shader based. I can see certain high-quality interpolation features being shader based, but a simple linear or cubic filter is possible on almost anything and could still achieve acceptable results, lacking a better option.

It's not like downsampling is a new thing on AMD cards either. Until recent it was perfectly possible to do with custom resolutions, very similarly (though more convoluted and tedious) to how it was done on NVIDIA parts prior to DSR.
if you can find a 4k monitor you like and are willing to pay for, using that over supersampling is pretty much a given.
You can't see the final result with an in game screenshot because the screen shot will be taken at 3200x1800, not 2560x1440.
Ideally, both AMD and NVIDIA should integrate the old method into their control panel. A simple two column setup: arbitrary internal resolution on one side, output resolution on the other.

They could still have DSR/VSR for the improved filters for some resolutions.
I just tried it. VSR produced a 3200x1800 screenshot.

I'm using a 1440p monitor and to see what the end result is, you would need a 1440p screenshot.
Downsampling needs whatever the internal resolution needs.

Some games will run at 4k just fine with 2GiB of VRAM, some will not.
Want me to edit the drivers to fool them into thinking your 7950 has the full Hawaii feature set, so you can tell us if DSR works on it?

Use Dxtory and force 2560x1440 (screenshot) then you will be able to see the difference.
post #805 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Want me to edit the drivers to fool them into thinking your 7950 has the full Hawaii feature set, so you can tell us if DSR works on it?

Yes please! biggrin.gif
post #806 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

What's assuming the game even supports better textures once you go to 4K. 4K right now for most game is just a resolution bump to improve sharpness and not textures. SSAA works in games like BF4 and you can easily tell. If this was so amazing AMD and Nvidia would have had it in their driver ages ago.
"A bad temper, harms its possessor most."
What are you going on about, I really cannot make from this paragraph.
I wouldn't accept a 75% performance cut just to experience "worse" edge crispness than 1% loss that SMAA incurs. You choose the wrong tool for the job.
The beauty of DSR/VSR isn't that it "should" be any better than SSAA actually, it just ought to be more compatible. It doesn't get deflected by deferred shading regimes, so a whole less fuss. Besides, should any actually be fpga based, the dedication to quality is really satisfactory, imo. I mean with the expansion of transistor numbers, everything has to be dedicated eventually, lest we be swept into an unproductive performance race with no clear quality foothold.
Note: you totally missed my point. It is the "colours" that don't make into the final image, not the "textures" that don't get supported at 4K. Any triangle that falls smaller in size than the area of a pixel gets only "1" shot at displaying its colour gradient on the pixel, whether the pixel area is contested between multiple triangles, or not. Hence, in order to reduce all the glitter and inexcusable artifacts, SSAA seems the only conceivable option for me.
post #807 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post

Use Dxtory and force 2560x1440 (screenshot) then you will be able to see the difference.

Wouldn't that make dxtory do the downscaling, then? Or is it capable ofgrabbing the picture after the gpu downscaled it?

~ Enjoy life, have a great day ~
Yes, I really am that tivvv3 guy from youtube who makes LoL videos by the same philosophy. Whoa!
Also Unconditional Basic Income advocate.
post #808 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote:

Wouldn't Dxtory be doing it's own scaling? Cause that will produce a different result than the scaling DSR or VSR uses.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #809 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:

By all means, upload it then.

post #810 of 1132 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 863 (Unique: 631)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawa View Post

Yeah man seriously. This is as close to a ground level overhaul we've seen from AMD, and I imagine the best is yet to come (anyone who doesn't think the point of this is to leverage performance in their future console to PC ports isn't paying attention) yet all you hear is negativity.

I mean, they just fixed issues in a game as old as Far Cry 3, and people are whining. This driver is obviously about bug fixes, stuttering fixes, adding features, and minimum frames. Be happy at least one of the companies is trying to overhaul their drivers with eyes on the future, as they could be pulling a Nvidia and actively "gimping" performance in older cards.

don't despair. lol. they are silently coping with issues of the worst kind . . .

https://www.overclock.net/t/1525340/nvidia-344-75-whql-drivers-344-80-hotfix-beta-released/50

i'll be quiet too if i paid a premium.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in