[ARS] Vulkan: OpenGL built for modern systems - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ARS] Vulkan: OpenGL built for modern systems

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 232 (Unique: 167)

More new details including technical here ..

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/khronos-unveils-vulkan-opengl-built-for-modern-systems/

Quote:
It represents the fourth graphics API aiming to offer this kind of control and the performance gains that come with it. AMD's Mantle, Microsoft's DirectX 12, and Apple's Metal were all developed with similar goals in mind. However, these are all platform limited in one way or another; Mantle only works with AMD GPUs, DirectX 12 only works in Windows, and Metal only works in iOS. Vulkan will span both GPU and operating system vendors, continuing in the footsteps of the cross-platform, vendor-neutral OpenGL before it.

Vulkan is also intended as suitable for both mobile and desktop development.

Quote:
The forthcoming existence of both Vulkan and DirectX 12 does have one consequence—it will render AMD's Mantle largely obsolete.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 03:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
In fact Khronos has confirmed that AMD has contributed Mantle towards the development of Vulkan, and though we need to be clear that Vulkan is not Mantle, Mantle was used to bootstrap the process and speed its development, making Vulkan a derivation of sorts of Mantle (think Unix family tree).

http://anandtech.com/show/9038/next-generation-opengl-becomes-vulkan-additional-details-released

Looks like Vulkan is based off of Mantle, which would explain why AMD decided to retire Mantle for gaming.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:06 AM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 66 (Unique: 43)

I wonder how some companies will handle Vulkan and OpenGL being a separate thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 05:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 335 (Unique: 245)
I really hope a substantial amount of games move to support the Vulkan API first and foremost. That will be required for the Steambox and SteamOS to properly take off and become a viable gaming platform for the masses.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 AM

Hopefully Vulkan will do what Mantle failed to do ...

Work with both nVidia, AMD and Intel on both Linux and Windows.

If so, then that will be the API standard that would be only logical to program to.

I know they claim that is what they want to do, but I'm really getting tired of "supposed to" claims from companies that never actually deliver.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Hopefully Vulkan will do what Mantle failed to do ...

Work with both nVidia, AMD and Intel on both Linux and Windows.

If so, then that will be the API standard that would be only logical to program to.

I know they claim that is what they want to do, but I'm really getting tired of "supposed to" claims from companies that never actually deliver.

Mantle was doomed from the start just because AMD made it. To me it seems Vulcan is a rebranding of sorts (with more work done on top) to break this association and be usable by Nvidia and not just "one side's plaything".

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 95)
We can all agree that mantle was just a tactical procedure to get low level api popular, in effect obsolete behemoth processor demands. Suddenly every old non-i7 seems useful.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 175)
Nope, some folks still can't agree, mantle was dead dead dead, totally dead and remains to be dead, deadum infinitum~!

If you can keep your beer while all about you are spilling theirs and blaming it on you, then you'd be a playa, my brutha. - Dudyard Broling
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamervivek View Post

Nope, some folks still can't agree, mantle was dead dead dead, totally dead and remains to be dead, deadum infinitum~!

well its kind of not dead. there was a post on reddit which shows code from mantle appearing in Vulcan and some suspect the GDC demos will be run on AMD hardware .. so, its just been assimilated into something else.. no not the Borg .. Vulcan

too much star trek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in