[Various] Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks - Page 267 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various] Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks

Closed Thread

post #2661 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfathaaaaa View Post

someone was saying that it would be good for amd gpu department to be separated from the cpu one..well

AMD Forms Radeon Technologies Group, Taps Raja Koduri To Lead Team Dedicated To Graphics Growth
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/09/09/amd-forms-radeon-technologies-group-taps-raja-koduri-to-lead-team-dedicated-to-graphics-growth/

This is just typical business restructuring within AMD it's not a fork in the business. The way forbes depicts it as a seperate entity. It's just a development team focused on engineering GPUs that report specifically to Dr. Sue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2662 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
This is just typical business restructuring within AMD it's not a fork in the business. The way forbes depicts it as a seperate entity. It's just a development team focused on engineering GPUs that report specifically to Dr. Sue [sic].

With respect, I wouldn't characterize this as "just" a business restructuring. I don't claim to have special insight of AMD's internal structures, but I've done a lot of talking to various AMD groups over the years and seen some of the inefficiencies this is meant to address.

After AMD bought ATI, it embarked on a specific mission to embed its GPU technology at every level of its CPU business. That didn't just mean baking GPUs into CPUs -- it divided the GPU teams responsible for developer relations, Catalyst, discrete GPU design, APU design, OEM partnerships, marketing, PR -- all of these various aspects of the GPU business were segmented and handled by different teams of people.

It was a laudable goal and an attempt to unify two different companies, but it didn't always pay great dividends in certain areas. Bringing everyone back together under a common banner and giving that assignment to Raja is, IMO, a very significant and important move.

No, it's not a magic bullet. It doesn't give AMD 20 points of market share. It doesn't give Raja $500M dollars to invest in GPU tech. But it should allow for much more efficient centralization of resources than AMD 's GPU divisions have had access to before, and give them a chance to create a more unified product vision.
post #2663 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiHound View Post

With respect, I wouldn't characterize this as "just" a business restructuring. I don't claim to have special insight of AMD's internal structures, but I've done a lot of talking to various AMD groups over the years and seen some of the inefficiencies this is meant to address.

After AMD bought ATI, it embarked on a specific mission to embed its GPU technology at every level of its CPU business. That didn't just mean baking GPUs into CPUs -- it divided the GPU teams responsible for developer relations, Catalyst, discrete GPU design, APU design, OEM partnerships, marketing, PR -- all of these various aspects of the GPU business were segmented and handled by different teams of people.

It was a laudable goal and an attempt to unify two different companies, but it didn't always pay great dividends in certain areas. Bringing everyone back together under a common banner and giving that assignment to Raja is, IMO, a very significant and important move.

No, it's not a magic bullet. It doesn't give AMD 20 points of market share. It doesn't give Raja $500M dollars to invest in GPU tech. But it should allow for much more efficient centralization of resources than AMD 's GPU divisions have had access to before, and give them a chance to create a more unified product vision.

Anything that is happening now was in the works much longer than moments ago. A lot of people jumped ship, probably including manufacturers with the DX12 issues not being addressed quickly by NVidia. Christmas season is arising, big retailers have to stock systems to meet the demands of the consumers. We'll probably see quite a few with AMD gpu chips for Christmas sales. Basically about this time every year inventory is purchased by Dell, HP and whom ever. Don't forget Nintendo's purchase of chips for their new system.

That's easily a huge 20 point gain if you want talk about stock performance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2664 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 06:43 PM
WaterCooling Enthusiast

Rep: 20 (Unique: 17)
Silver Lake is reported to be buying 20% of AMD. If true, the announced restructuring of the GPU division is part of a deal that AMD agreed to in return for the cash. Silver Lake is the same investment firm that took Dell private and they have very deep pockets. Big changes ahead for AMD.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2015/09/09/silver-lake-amd-deal/1

Asus Z97 Hero Delidded 4790K Swiftech block EVGA 1080 TI shunt modded Kryrographics black & backplate Custom Water 60mm 360 rad push/pull 2 240mm rads in push MCP50X pump Swiftech Res
post #2665 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 90)
So.... Quick side question. If the Nvidia side and drivers unifies or fixes compute with their drivers, do you think it will work with SLI? Like currently when using CUDA and compute for BOINC, I have to disable SLI to get both GPU's computing. I would love to not have to enable and disable SLI when going from gaming to computing.

Or.... Is it a completely different issue? Does AMD have to disable crossfire to compute with programs like boinc or folding currently?

Sent from my trltetmo using Tapatalk

post #2666 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieNYC View Post

Silver Lake is reported to be buying 20% of AMD. If true, the announced restructuring of the GPU division is part of a deal that AMD agreed to in return for the cash. Silver Lake is the same investment firm that took Dell private and they have very deep pockets. Big changes ahead for AMD.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2015/09/09/silver-lake-amd-deal/1

Can we stop posting this, first Fud posts it and then hours later bit-tech. Completely unverified rumor. There is no proof of AMD selling 20%. AMD did however restructure for the longterm.

post #2667 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 44 (Unique: 34)
Considering the speculation rampant in this thread, discussing rumors about private equity firm involvement is along the very same lines.

I would simply suggest that FastEddieNYC revise his post to say "rumored" instead of "reported."

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=31362Build History (Click to show)
CPU History:
Thunderbird-C 800Mhz, 2100+ TBred B, 2600+ XP-M, Opteron 146, Core2 e8400, i5 750, i5 4670K

MB History:

A7V, A7N8X rev1.06, DFI NF4 Ultra-D, DFI LT P35, GB P55-UD3R, GB Z87-UD4H

GPU History:
Matrox G400, ATi 8500LE, ATi 9800Pro, Leadtek 6800NU, BFG 7800GT, BFG 8800GT, GTX 260, eVGA GTX 560 Ti, Zotac GTX 580, eVGA GTX 780, eVGA 980Ti
post #2668 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 71)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post

So.... Quick side question. If the Nvidia side and drivers unifies or fixes compute with their drivers, do you think it will work with SLI? Like currently when using CUDA and compute for BOINC, I have to disable SLI to get both GPU's computing. I would love to not have to enable and disable SLI when going from gaming to computing.

Or.... Is it a completely different issue? Does AMD have to disable crossfire to compute with programs like boinc or folding currently?

the issue here isn't compute based, its not that nvidia is lacking compute, but it currently lacks the ability to do different kinds of compute in parallel due to how its scheduler works. if nvidia coudlnt do compute completely, then it wouldn't be possible to do CUDA, Physx or things like mining on an nvidia card(which of course is completely the opposite it can do these)

post #2669 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudewitbow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post

the issue here isn't compute based, its not that nvidia is lacking compute, but it currently lacks the ability to do different kinds of compute in parallel due to how its scheduler works. if nvidia coudlnt do compute completely, then it wouldn't be possible to do CUDA, Physx or things like mining on an nvidia card(which of course is completely the opposite it can do these)

So if drivers fix this it won't fix my problem.... Damn.

post #2670 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
AFAIK, this typically goes the same way for both companies. If a program supports running on both GPUs without disabling multi-GPU configurations, it probably can do so for both AMD and Nvidia. If it doesn't, you probably have to manually set it for both.

I *think* it's because the GPGPU workload usually wants you to tell it, explicitly, which GPU to execute on. When SLI or Crossfire is enabled, the driver is trying to treat the GPU as a unified pool for rendering purposes (albeit a unified pool with duplicated VRAM data), and this mucks with applications, which aren't expecting it.

DX12 *might* change this, but I'm assuming that the driver still sends a flag to a game to tell it that multiple GPUs are present in a system, even if the game engine handles more of the grunt work of deciding where various workloads ought to run.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in