[Various] Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks - Page 268 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various] Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #2671 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
drSeehas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 59
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalGameGuru View Post

...

...
Which chips are Kepler(v1) and which are Kepler(v2)?
drSeehas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2672 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:32 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
PirateZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 356
Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Should i buy a Nvidia or AMD card now?
PirateZ is offline  
post #2673 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:42 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
NoirWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 47
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateZ View Post

Should i buy a Nvidia or AMD card now?
If you like games which may take advantage of Async sooner and much more heavily (open world games, strategy games, etc) and play at 1080p-1440p then AMD is good.
If you like games that may go heavily into Gameworks in the not so distant future or don't need to switch to Async for better performance and play at 1080p-1440p then Nvidia is good.
Above 1440p it's a crapshoot really depending on your own needs.
NoirWolf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2674 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:26 AM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,579
Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

PS: Not actually Rasteriser Ordered Views, but you get the point...

When you post a chart which is so far inaccurate, you lost your point. So lost it that it went right out the window, crashed on the pavement, and oozed itself into the sewers. Never to be seen again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirWolf View Post

ATI launched their version in 2008, roughly one year after Nvidia and both had it working since the early 2000s in HPCs.

1. We are not talking about quadro vs firepro, unless you really want to go there, and you will lose all ground about AMD doing anything groundbraking in the last 5-6 years.
2. GPGPU really arrived to the radeon with the 7970. Until then it was software and partially blocked in the cards before it to prevent drop sales of the firepro cards. Nvidia on the other hand sold a crap load of GPUs because they supported CUDA for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semitope View Post

G-sync also took the concept of adaptive sync. Their implementation never made sense to me but made them money.

That is funny biggrin.gif because "freesync" implementation is... exactly like g-sync. Except instead of AMD making the hardware and software part, they make the monitor manufacturers do it. If you talk about making sense. Don't forget that AMD claimed "we don't need special hardware!" but alas, yes they did.
Also while both g-sync and "freesync" have the same roots, and while eDP does not need any dedicated hardware, both of the desktop PC do need it, and again, nvidia just brought it out quickly, and AMD followed by yelling, barking and complaining (and lying) all the way to it.



And just to put the nails in the coffins, the ashes alpha benchmark shows the 980 TI and the Fury X almost neck to neck, before the 980 TI even supported async calls. I wonder what will happen when they do... thinking.gif


Defoler is offline  
post #2675 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 AM
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 12,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

When you post a chart which is so far inaccurate, you lost your point. So lost it that it went right out the window, crashed on the pavement, and oozed itself into the sewers. Never to be seen again.

...


That is funny biggrin.gif because "freesync" implementation is... exactly like g-sync. Except instead of AMD making the hardware and software part, they make the monitor manufacturers do it.

The FreeSync implementation is NOT "exactly like g-sync". You obviously know nothing about G-Sync. So let me educate people on one key difference. G-Sync, because it has hardware, had memory and the ability to do frame multiplication. Thus when the FPS dips below the monitors low end range, it can sent the same frame out again, thus doubling (or more) the number of frames and thus allow the VRR range to be extended below that of the monitor. That is why, unlike the LIES that AMD is telling, G-Sync has a range of 2-240Hz, not the 30-144 like AMD claims (oh and since there is now a 165Hz G-Sync monitor, I guess that proves AMD was a liar as well). You can't do that with FreeSync, and no, monitor companies don't build in a frame buffer into their monitors. So as you can see, FreeSync is NOT "exactly like g-sync".

nVidia looked at the eDP standard, elected NOT to go that route because it was a worse solution and would take a lot longer to get implemented anyway (because of standards bodies ... then never move fast, and as everyone sees, it is now only an OPTIONAL standard). The eDP implimentation was not for gaming, it was for power savings. It COULD be modified into something else for gaming (and was, both by AMD and nVidia ... aka 'Mobile G-Sync'), but G-Sync is superior that FreeSync on the low end because of the hardware. The low end is where things are important anyway. Once you are getting 120+ FPS, it really isn't going to matter much if it's on or off, but at 25 or 30FPS, yeah, it REALLY makes a difference. Trust me, I know, I have 2 G-Sync monitors and use them every day, and have for awhile. If you are like me and like "turning up your settings" at 1440p (and very soon 4K), well then, the low end is what you need. If you don't care about looks and run on a 1080p TN panel, well then it isn't so much.

That's why when AMD got caught flat footed when nVidia released G-Sync, they had to scramble to counter it. The only way they could was to use what nVidia threw away, the eDP solution. That is why when AMD showed it, it was a cobbled together laptop screen and has lots of issues. Even then, it took another full year to get it some what working on the desktop, and even then there were issues. Entire "released" monitors had to be sent back after being certified, because of overdrive issues. It is only now, about 2 years later, that FreeSync is STARTING to take off. And if it does, nVidia will support it ... for their LOW END solution. But they will continue to offer G-Sync for those who want a superior solution that A-Sync/FreeSync can't. Oh, and speaking of, let's not forget that A-Sync (AdaptiveSync) and FreeSync are NOT the same. FreeSync is a PROPRIETARY version of A-Sync. Intel is adopting A-Sync, not FreeSync. Odds are when nVidia has to, they too will be like Intel and adopt A-Sync.

People love to say that AMD is all about "Open Standards", and yeah, Adaptive Sync is an OPTIONAL open standard, which is basically just something that already existed before AMD even touched it, in the eDP standard. But the fact of the matter is, FreeSync is NOT an open standard. It is a proprietary extension of Adaptive Sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

And just to put the nails in the coffins, the ashes alpha benchmark shows the 980 TI and the Fury X almost neck to neck, before the 980 TI even supported async calls. I wonder what will happen when they do... thinking.gif

Exactly.


47 Knucklehead is offline  
post #2676 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
sugarhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 38.051289,23.709791
Posts: 9,325
Rep: 563 (Unique: 286)
Knuckle and an AMD thread? Choose one of the topics no matter the thread

Dx9 frame pacing
Dx11 overhead
Freesync

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No I said if Vega is clocked @ 1600MHz out of the box, I will eat my shoe on Twitch.tv.

Sound good? wink.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicin View Post
Not in games, which is what 99.9999 percent of us care about

And unless you own a business, you get paid for your time. So your compute power just makes more work for you not less

Ryzen is a joke to the vast majority of the market who would consider buying their product.
sugarhell is offline  
post #2677 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:44 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
NoirWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 47
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

When you post a chart which is so far inaccurate, you lost your point. So lost it that it went right out the window, crashed on the pavement, and oozed itself into the sewers. Never to be seen again.
1. We are not talking about quadro vs firepro, unless you really want to go there, and you will lose all ground about AMD doing anything groundbraking in the last 5-6 years.
2. GPGPU really arrived to the radeon with the 7970. Until then it was software and partially blocked in the cards before it to prevent drop sales of the firepro cards. Nvidia on the other hand sold a crap load of GPUs because they supported CUDA for a long time.

That is funny biggrin.gif because "freesync" implementation is... exactly like g-sync. Except instead of AMD making the hardware and software part, they make the monitor manufacturers do it. If you talk about making sense. Don't forget that AMD claimed "we don't need special hardware!" but alas, yes they did.
Also while both g-sync and "freesync" have the same roots, and while eDP does not need any dedicated hardware, both of the desktop PC do need it, and again, nvidia just brought it out quickly, and AMD followed by yelling, barking and complaining (and lying) all the way to it.



And just to put the nails in the coffins, the ashes alpha benchmark shows the 980 TI and the Fury X almost neck to neck, before the 980 TI even supported async calls. I wonder what will happen when they do... thinking.gif

So in order:
That chart is inaccurate but so is the one off Wikipedia.

1 and 2: And Nvidia killed their GPUs in similar fashion after Fermi to prevent Quadro sales taking a dive. If you wanna be pedantic about GPGPU not being supported on a hardware level by AMD around the same time then that logic can be reversed for Async which shows Nvidia actually gimped their GPUs after Fermi on more than one front.

Freesync is easier to implement than G-sync simply because there's no ... proprietary chip requirement for the former. More profit for the manufacturer of the monitor = more incentive to go with Freesync wink.gif .

Nvidia brought it in to get another reason to sell their overpriced hardware to people who believe physx or G-sync is in any way remarkable (who did it first? well as Tessellation shows it doesn't really matter ^^ who does it best does tongue.gif ) .

And as for the final nail in your attempt at a reasoned argument: It will tank in performance because the 980ti will have to wait for its software to run Async smile.gif which means CPU involvement wink.gif . The Ashes benchmark pits the Fury X in its best conditions to the 980ti in its best conditions and as you can quite clearly see one of them is gonna be pretty useless in Async, I wonder which rolleyes.gif.
NoirWolf is offline  
post #2678 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
sugarhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 38.051289,23.709791
Posts: 9,325
Rep: 563 (Unique: 286)
The only official chart is this:




Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No I said if Vega is clocked @ 1600MHz out of the box, I will eat my shoe on Twitch.tv.

Sound good? wink.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicin View Post
Not in games, which is what 99.9999 percent of us care about

And unless you own a business, you get paid for your time. So your compute power just makes more work for you not less

Ryzen is a joke to the vast majority of the market who would consider buying their product.
sugarhell is offline  
post #2679 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:57 AM
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 12,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Knuckle and an AMD thread? Choose one of the topics no matter the thread

Dx9 frame pacing
Dx11 overhead
Freesync

It's called ... setting the record straight with FACTS.

I know that AMD people have issues with facts, but hey, it's a pet peeve of mine.


47 Knucklehead is offline  
post #2680 of 2682 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
NoirWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 47
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

It's called ... setting the record straight with FACTS.

I know that AMD people have issues with facts, but hey, it's a pet peeve of mine.

FACTS such as:
1. Did you know Windows 10 does not natively support floppy disks? I know, the audacity of Microsoft!
2. Did you know Windows 10 does not run multiple Windows 1.0 games? Yes they robbed you. You heard it here first.
3. Did you know AMD GPUs which are overkill for for League of Legends at 4k ultra cannot be run in crossfire on LoL?

Thanks though for letting us know that statements by AMD on G-sync capabilities at that time make them liars for what G-sync is capable of today. Guess there isn't a single hardware vendor in existence that isn't a liar.

And to be honest fanboys have a love of cherry picking for and against certain hardware vendors. Sometimes they pick cherries which are still valid (that compiler that's still running around from Intel that kills the performance of anything that doesn't ID itself as an Intel chip) but most times they pick cherries which aren't so much rotten as fossilized.
NoirWolf is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off