[Ars Technica] After $5 billion EU antitrust fine, Google will start charging for Android apps - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Ars Technica] After $5 billion EU antitrust fine, Google will start charging for Android apps

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
What was the original issue that sparked this ordeal? I vaguely remember it, I think...
Reason behind this is the EU wanting more money.

They claim its about Google monopolising the market though, by bundling their Play store, Chrome browser and Google Search as defaults on all Android devices.
I wonder if they'll do the same to Apple for bundling their own browser and app store on new iPhones?.....

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Hi,
EU has to make money somehow
Google is doing tit for tat but Doubt anyone has any choice seeing android is a walled garden much like apple is.

Which EU will probably extort them next

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:23 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post
I wonder if they'll do the same to Apple for bundling their own browser and app store on new iPhones?.....
technically they won't, since nobody else besides Apple uses iOS, and iPhones in general.
if they did force Apple, well it would be like forcing Ferrari to allow other manufacturers to make Ferrari cars, using Ferrari blueprints, and sell it under Ferrari's name.

on a side note, EU technically isn't being fair to Google, they're implying that Google has no control over PlayStore, and they should allow anyone to use it.
if worse comes to worst, Google might just ban PlayStore in EEA entirely.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.

Last edited by epic1337; 10-18-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
What was the original issue that sparked this ordeal? I vaguely remember it, I think...

The issue was that the EU was mad that Google was "pre-loading" the Android phones with the Play Store, Gmail, Chrome, google search, photos etc. All the Google default apps. Same way as Apple bundles Apple Maps, Apple Photos, App Store/ iTunes Store, Safari, etc. Only apparently The EU must like Apple more and want to stifle competition. That is the only explanation I can think of as to why they decided to fine Google 5 billion Dollars and leave Apple alone for doing literally the exact same thing. Anyway, the EU says Google isnt allowed to put their apps on phones anymore for free. That is the specific thing here, they cant do it for free. So either manufacturers have to not have their phoens come with the normal apps, and drive more people over to iPhones that have functionality out of the box, or make Android phones cost more to raise them to more iPhone like prices. It really just seems like the EU showing huge favoritism and trying to push as many people to Apple as possible. There really can be no other explanation when Google has done nothing with Android that Apple hasnt already done and still does with the iPhone.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Good. Google has far too much of a stranglehold on android smartphones. It takes work, custom roms, and other things to actually get around it. It's similar to the lawsuit Netscape brought against Microsoft when they started bundling explorer into windows. The problem is google has pushed everyone into their play store as a way of getting apps. Even if you try to painstakingly avoid google stuff, a lot of apps don't work without the google play services. It's becoming a closed ecosystem with a lot of similarities to Apple.

Except, google is much worse. They track WAY more information than they need. It's a spy system in the worst form, but it's convenient and hard not to use.
I made a seperate gmail account for gaming/youtube. When google acquired youtube they wanted a google+ profile and were showing full names in youtube comments. 2 years later, I realized I hadn't gone through every security setting in google settings for my 2nd account. They had been tracking every time I opened an app, down to the day/minute/second it was opened. I told them to stop tracking me. Now they don't show me the information, but I'm doubt they stopped gathering the data.

Companies don't need that much information. The more alternatives to google, the better off the android ecosystem is.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:11 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Google definitely does have way to much of a stranglehold on the Android ecosystem. They originally started the whole project/ecosystem as a fairly open source environment but as we now know that was simply to gain market share over Apple which at the time was already better established in the new smartphone/app world. I remember just how much freedom there was in 2010-2011 Android days. Slowly but surely they have been walled gardening-up their platform to get it to Apple like levels. You can see them really trying hard to kill their open source roots now that they have the majority of the market share; how they're walling off the custom ROM/root community, putting the whole OS on training wheels, actively working against guys who want to run Android phones but without Google services e.g. MicroG, the whole Safetynet thing, etc...

I'd welcome phones that came pre-made from the factory without Gapps installed, less work for me de-bloating the phone. In other countries plenty of other alternative app markets like Apptoide are commonplace and almost exclusively used over Google Play. It's only in North America/Western Europe that Google Play seems to have a monopoly.

Android phones can be very useful without any Google packages. Many apps can use web sockets for push notifications instead of relying on Google Cloud Messaging, Google just seems to strong arm developers into using it's APIs. In terms of security F-Droid smokes Google Play; Google play is filled with malware/spyware/adware apps. Many major functionality and/or popular apps on Android have a free and open source version available that doesn't rely on Google API's.

I for one would welcome if Android phones only came with ASOP on them, not a special custom pre-loaded spyware version from Samsung, no special Google spyware packages, spyware/adware from the carrier, etc.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:34 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
Okay, so get rid of all those Google Apps, Play Store, Chrome browser, etc: How does the average user turn that expensive brick into a functional smart phone?
Base Android is actually pretty good. The manufacturers own operating systems such as EMUI and TouchWiz are the problems for bloat and in house platforms which dont support universal content (looking at you Huawei App Gallery).

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 AM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 307 (Unique: 217)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post
Okay, so get rid of all those Google Apps, Play Store, Chrome browser, etc: How does the average user turn that expensive brick into a functional smart phone?
Base Android is actually pretty good. The manufacturers own operating systems such as EMUI and TouchWiz are the problems for bloat and in house platforms which dont support universal content (looking at you Huawei App Gallery).
Those are not Operating Systems. Android is an OS, Touchwiz is a skin, launcher, and app package. It is still Android.

As for your question, Android does have a built in browser that is not Chrome. It is possible for them to download an APK, enable dev settings, enable installing from unknown sources, and then adding whatever store they want. It is just not easy or convenient, and most people do not even know those other stores exist.

Forge
(18 items)
Forge-LT
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X399 Designare
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (4x8GB 3200Mhz 14-14-14)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
EK Predator 240
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-5
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Motherboard
UX501JW-UB71T
GPU
GTX 960m
RAM
16GB 1600 9-9-9-27
Hard Drive
512GB PCI-e SSD
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
4k IPS
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Lep

Rep: 88 (Unique: 71)
I don't need any google apps, except YouTube maybe, But not need, juts want.

Onkyo ND-S1/Yamaha CD-S1000 →Reference 5 DSP → SPL Auditor Cans: Sennheiser HD800, Hifiman HE-4, AudioQuest Nighthawk
built in Feb 08
(15 items)
built in Nov 16
(15 items)
CPU
QX9650 Extreme
Motherboard
Asus P5E Rampage Formula
GPU
MSI GTX660 TwinFrozr
RAM
4gb Corsair Dominator 8500
Hard Drive
Crucial M550/WD Black
Optical Drive
LG-sata
Power Supply
Enermax Infiniti 720W
Cooling
Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Case
Coolermaster Stacker 831
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell P2414H
Keyboard
G510
Mouse
Razer Diamondback 3G
Mouse
Razer Mantis control
Audio
Samson Meteor mic
CPU
i7 6700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
GPU
Zotac 1070 Amp Edition
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo
Hard Drive
Crucial M550
Power Supply
Enermax Revolution Xt II 80 Plus Gold 750W
Cooling
Cryorig H5 Uni
Case
Fractal Design Define C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell 24"
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
Razer Diamondback 5G
Mouse
Razer Speed / Control
Audio
Onboard ESS Sabre
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 181)
This is silly. Google can't put their own software in their own software. They better go after Apple for this as well. First Microsoft, then Google. EU is overstepping this. There is no logic in which this makes sense. They provide what is free from them for you to use. If you don't want to use it, then go download another one. I would understand if Google prevented the download of other browsers or searches, but from the looks of it, they aren't.

I bet Apple, Firefox, and MS will be happy that their search and browsers are now options on the install.

All Google provides on their platform is a base, it isn't a forced gridlock into their stuff only; so users are already free to jump around as they wish. Next thing you know, EU will sue Google because the Google Pixel can only be used with Android and not some other 3rd party OS that isn't a fork, or even iOS.

The EU needs to dissolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in