[Ars Technica] After $5 billion EU antitrust fine, Google will start charging for Android apps - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Ars Technica] After $5 billion EU antitrust fine, Google will start charging for Android apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:53 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
matthew87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 177
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
The issue was that the EU was mad that Google was "pre-loading" the Android phones with the Play Store, Gmail, Chrome, google search, photos etc. All the Google default apps. Same way as Apple bundles Apple Maps, Apple Photos, App Store/ iTunes Store, Safari, etc. Only apparently The EU must like Apple more and want to stifle competition. That is the only explanation I can think of as to why they decided to fine Google 5 billion Dollars and leave Apple alone for doing literally the exact same thing. Anyway, the EU says Google isnt allowed to put their apps on phones anymore for free. That is the specific thing here, they cant do it for free. So either manufacturers have to not have their phoens come with the normal apps, and drive more people over to iPhones that have functionality out of the box, or make Android phones cost more to raise them to more iPhone like prices. It really just seems like the EU showing huge favoritism and trying to push as many people to Apple as possible. There really can be no other explanation when Google has done nothing with Android that Apple hasnt already done and still does with the iPhone.
My understanding was Google's contracts/licensing with OEMS to use Android mandated that Playstore, Google Apps, Chrome etc HAD to be included. That the inclusion of these programmes was mandatory for any OEM wishing to license and use Android.

On one hand, seems fair enough. Google fund the development of Android and their ROI comes via their apps.

On the other, Android is the most dominant mobile OS in the world and locking / forcing a single store front, pro-actively preventing competition, there is a decent argument that its monopolistic and anti-consumer.
matthew87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:13 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Snyderman34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dunlap, TN
Posts: 1,150
Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by matthew87 View Post
My understanding was Google's contracts/licensing with OEMS to use Android mandated that Playstore, Google Apps, Chrome etc HAD to be included. That the inclusion of these programmes was mandatory for any OEM wishing to license and use Android.

On one hand, seems fair enough. Google fund the development of Android and their ROI comes via their apps.

On the other, Android is the most dominant mobile OS in the world and locking / forcing a single store front, pro-actively preventing competition, there is a decent argument that its monopolistic and anti-consumer.
Wouldn't it make sense for their apps to be included with their OS though? Even if it's part of the agreement that manufacturers have to include their apps, people can just go to the app store for alternatives can't they? Apple only has a single store front (that I know of), but I'm not sure how either would be preventing competition unless they were actively keeping alternatives off their respective stores (I feel like I'm missing something, so I apologize if this is a dumb question).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razroid go_quote.gif

Yeah, let me just go flood my walls with water and go find myself a microdolphin to pull my cables for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK go_quote.gif

Good news, 6950 is legacy so you wont get drivers anyway.


Snyderman34 is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®
 
Omega X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: That gap between the couch cushion.
Posts: 1,532
Rep: 65 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by Snyderman34 View Post
Wouldn't it make sense for their apps to be included with their OS though? Even if it's part of the agreement that manufacturers have to include their apps, people can just go to the app store for alternatives can't they? Apple only has a single store front (that I know of), but I'm not sure how either would be preventing competition unless they were actively keeping alternatives off their respective stores (I feel like I'm missing something, so I apologize if this is a dumb question).

Google dominates Search and browsers with Chrome and ensures every advantage by being bundled with Google Play Services then demand all or nothing. Can't run Chrome without Play Services, can't use Google Search app or Assistant without Play Services. You have to use an alternative store, browser and search engine and you can't mix or match.


By contrast Apple only makes iOS and OSX and their hardware only runs their OS software. There are no other iPhone/Mac manufacturers. The only way Apple could get hit by this is that they use their leverage as the dominant PC/Smartphone maker to ensure that another software/service always had the advantage on their OS. Fortunately, Apple doesn't dominate anything other than profit margins. If it were to become a monopoly, then what it does with Safari now would become illegal.
Omega X is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 PM
Old to Overclock.net
 
xJumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,896
Rep: 103 (Unique: 92)
Quote: Originally Posted by Snyderman34 View Post
people can just go to the app store for alternatives can't they? Apple only has a single store front (that I know of), but I'm not sure how either would be preventing competition unless they were actively keeping alternatives off their respective stores (I feel like I'm missing something, so I apologize if this is a dumb question).
Google purposefully gimps other app stores. If you go install the Aptoide app store, F-Droid, Yalp, etc you'll find everything needs to be updated manually and a user is shown the "install from unknown sources" prompt every time as a way to discourage them from doing so.

Google Play on Android by default runs as a system app, it can update in the background and without you ever seeing anything, very smooth and slick just like everything else you likely use. Unless you get into modding your phone extensively, rooting, etc you cannot get any third party store to run at the system privilege level. Even if you install another app store and are willing to deal with that, you cannot uninstall Google Play/Google Play services or anything else Google. Not to mention Google is waging a war on rooted/modded Android users as well.

Google also bans a lot of apps that interfere with their way of making money. Net Guard, which was popular firewall app that let the average user firewall in apps phoning home/data mining through the phones VPN function was pulled from the Google Play app store for some mysterious reason until enough uproar from the dev community brought it back.

Google's security model is stupid. It considers anything not from Google Play to be unsafe by prompting users about the dangers of "installing from unknown sources" from something like F-Droid which is 1000% safer than the malware/adware infested apps okay'ed by Google in their app store. They push this mentality that "if it's not from us, it's unsafe" which is a dumb mentality to promote from a security standpoint. They are closing in the walls on rooted users apparently in the name of security yet rooting your phone and using proper firewall apps (e.g ip tables control) is the only way to actually keep your phone secure from the various adware/malware data mining crap that phones come bloated with.

Google is definitely misusing their position to stifle the competition, their setup with Google Play/Google Play Services is like a modern day smart phone version of U.S. vs Microsoft.


Quote: Originally Posted by .Sup View Post
I don't need any google apps, except YouTube maybe, But not need, juts want.

Your phone is probably still loaded with Google services and you likely use a bunch of them on a daily basis. Google Cloud Messaging, Google Play Services, etc... Most people and what they do on their phones straight up won't work without any Google.

362436
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲



Last edited by xJumper; 10-30-2018 at 10:59 PM.
xJumper is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:50 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Snyderman34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dunlap, TN
Posts: 1,150
Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
Google dominates Search and browsers with Chrome and ensures every advantage by being bundled with Google Play Services then demand all or nothing. Can't run Chrome without Play Services, can't use Google Search app or Assistant without Play Services. You have to use an alternative store, browser and search engine and you can't mix or match.


By contrast Apple only makes iOS and OSX and their hardware only runs their OS software. There are no other iPhone/Mac manufacturers. The only way Apple could get hit by this is that they use their leverage as the dominant PC/Smartphone maker to ensure that another software/service always had the advantage on their OS. Fortunately, Apple doesn't dominate anything other than profit margins. If it were to become a monopoly, then what it does with Safari now would become illegal.
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Google purposefully gimps other app stores. If you go install the Aptoide app store, F-Droid, Yalp, etc you'll find everything needs to be updated manually and a user is shown the "install from unknown sources" prompt every time as a way to discourage them from doing so.

Google Play on Android by default runs as a system app, it can update in the background and without you ever seeing anything, very smooth and slick just like everything else you likely use. Unless you get into modding your phone extensively, rooting, etc you cannot get any third party store to run at the system privilege level. Even if you install another app store and are willing to deal with that, you cannot uninstall Google Play/Google Play services or anything else Google. Not to mention Google is waging a war on rooted/modded Android users as well.

Google also bans a lot of apps that interfere with their way of making money. Net Guard, which was popular firewall app that let the average user firewall in apps phoning home/data mining through the phones VPN function was pulled from the Google Play app store for some mysterious reason until enough uproar from the dev community brought it back.

Google's security model is stupid. It considers anything not from Google Play to be unsafe by prompting users about the dangers of "installing from unknown sources" from something like F-Droid which is 1000% safer than the malware/adware infested apps okay'ed by Google in their app store. They push this mentality that "if it's not from us, it's unsafe" which is a dumb mentality to promote from a security standpoint. They are closing in the walls on rooted users apparently in the name of security yet rooting your phone and using proper firewall apps (e.g ip tables control) is the only way to actually keep your phone secure from the various adware/malware data mining crap that phones come bloated with.

Google is definitely misusing their position to stifle the competition, their setup with Google Play/Google Play Services is like a modern day smart phone version of U.S. vs Microsoft.





Your phone is probably still loaded with Google services and you likely use a bunch of them on a daily basis. Google Cloud Messaging, Google Play Services, etc... Most people and what they do on their phones straight up won't work without any Google.

Alright, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the explanations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razroid go_quote.gif

Yeah, let me just go flood my walls with water and go find myself a microdolphin to pull my cables for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK go_quote.gif

Good news, 6950 is legacy so you wont get drivers anyway.


Snyderman34 is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Mrzev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,258
Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
I am late to the party on this news, but yup... if you want to provide an OS for companies to build stuff for, you gotta give everyone the option... Microsoft had this EXACT same thing happened to them, and why Apple doesn't have this issue.

This is a terrible thing IMO. OEM's want to add a bunch of crappy software to their Phone and make it impossible to remove, and this will let them do more. I have a Galaxy S9+ and it comes with a bunch of crap that i dont want and literally cant remove. I dont like their keyboard, and it took me a while to figure out how to change it back to the stock google version. They added their own clock app which i dont like as much either, but it took me a while to notice that it was their clock and not Googles clock.... the list goes on.

Also along with what the article mentions, apps cant rely on services being there. If Samsung doesnt install google maps, then that ____ app cant give you a button that sets the path in navigation because you dont have that app and it doesnt know ohh, i need to call ____ service instead and use _____ api. Simply put, it feels like having a bunch of stuff removed from the .Net api, and not on the new version... just straight up removed from all versions.

There might be some good that comes from this... but i feel at least 90% is going to end up giving you a worse product.



Mrzev is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Otherworlder
 
epic1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,065
Rep: 213 (Unique: 121)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
Also along with what the article mentions, apps cant rely on services being there. If Samsung doesnt install google maps, then that ____ app cant give you a button that sets the path in navigation because you dont have that app and it doesnt know ohh, i need to call ____ service instead and use _____ api. Simply put, it feels like having a bunch of stuff removed from the .Net api, and not on the new version... just straight up removed from all versions.

manufacturers would need to make a profile for their own Android fork for developers to work with, thats why you have apps that says "this isn't compatible with your device".

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
epic1337 is offline  
post #28 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Sunday League Jibber
 
SuperZan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Latveria
Posts: 4,245
Rep: 641 (Unique: 200)
Google wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted the benefits of open-source development but they also wanted to monetise the end product as much as possible. A big part of that is 'encouraging' use of their storefront as well as their d̶a̶t̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ useful apps. They designed the entire model around one paradigm, and then have gradually attempted to shift it to the competition's to increase their take. Google was fully cognisant of the fact that their model would lead to significant Android (and thus, Google) operations in the EU whilst knowing full well the difference in consumer protection laws, so I'm not going to cry tears for the world's preeminent data merchants with the revenue of a medium-sized nation's GDP.

Farewel happy Fields; Where Joy for ever dwells; Hail horrours, hail; Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell; Receive thy new Possessor; One who brings; A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time; The mind is its own place, and in it self; Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
SuperZan's Doombot
(14 items)
SuperZan's YT-1300
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Leather Jacket Edition 11GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3200 14-14-14-34 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games)
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage)
Hard Drive
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD (Linux)
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Cooling
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 + DDC Pump
Cooling
XSPC Razor (1080 Ti) GPU Block
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360 Rad
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Rad
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Pixio PX277 27" 1440p 144Hz DP-Adaptive Sync w/ LFC
Keyboard
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Razor Firefly
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset
Audio
Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones
Audio
S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier
Other
Xbox One Controller
Other
Wacom Intuous S Drawing Pad (CTL4100)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R3 1200
Motherboard
ASRock AB350m Pro4
GPU
PowerColor PCS+ R9 380x 4GB
RAM
Samsung 8 GB (2x4GB) @ 2400
Hard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Solus)
Hard Drive
Kingston V200 128GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
WD Blue 250GB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 430 Bronze 430w
Cooling
AMD Prism RGB Cooler
Case
DIYPC Cuboid-G Black/Green
Operating System
Solus Budgie
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
LYILIN 2.4GHz Mini Wireless & Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse
Other
Steam Controller
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
Asrock Z97 Extreme6
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case
Corsair Carbide 300R
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
40" Vizio HDTV
Keyboard
HP Generic
Mouse
Logitech Generic
Audio
HyperX Cloud
▲ hide details ▲


SuperZan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off