[Bloomberg] IBM to Acquire Linux Distributor Red Hat for $33.4 Billion - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Bloomberg] IBM to Acquire Linux Distributor Red Hat for $33.4 Billion

post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Linux Evangelist
Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...-support.12840

Quote:
During the Khronos Munich Meetup this weekend, Graham Wihlidal of EA's SEED (Search for Extraordinary Experiences Division) presented a talk about this exciting game engine. While it's somewhat surprising to see EA start to use Vulkan, it's even more surprising to see Linux actually being mentioned as a target platform:

SUSE was acquired earlier this year. Microsoft has been working on buying Canonical for years(just a matter of time). Microsoft has Azure, Google has Android, and now IBM has just bought it's way back to being the world's number one server company. Plus, EA is unveiling a game engine with Linux support baked in. From the outside looking in, it sure looks like the corporate world is buying it's way back into control when we were almost rid of them.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
HeroofTime Level 1

Would you think it'd be a smart move to buy IBM shares? I've been watching them struggle for a long time now.

AMD 1800X w/ Phanteks PH-TC14PE (3850MHz, 100MHz BCLK)
G.SKILL 3200MHz CL16 16GBx2 (3066MHz, 14-14-14-14-28-42-4-6-24-1T)
GIGABYTE GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC (2038MHz, 5940MHz)
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (BIOS v6301)
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 PM
Fantastic Mr Fox
randomizer is an unknown quantity at this point randomizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, at least it wasn't Oracle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
Liranan will become famous soon enough Liranan will become famous soon enough Liranan will become famous soon enough Liranan will become famous soon enough Liranan will become famous soon enough Liranan will become famous soon enough

Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Microsoft has been pushing more and more into Linux the past couple of years, its quite possible Microsoft will buy Ubuntu and support it an an enterprise linux server OS. IBM and MS would be competing there. Microsoft knows they need some Linux support both to gain, and hold server marketshare.
There are two possible outcomes with MSpy opening up all those patents and licenses:
- Extension (the second phase of their EEE doctrine) with Extinction being the next
- Windows eventually becomes a proprietary Linux distro

They can't compete with Linux as it has a near 100% server and at least 90% mobile phone market share. The only place where Windows still dominates is the desktop but even there they can't eternally hold onto their market share and, I presume, are scared of losing the market to Linux. So either they desperately try to extinguish Linux or they adopt it and extinguishing Linux is already a failed strategy as they have been failing at it for decades.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:37 AM
New to Overclock.net
b.walker36 is an unknown quantity at this point b.walker36 is an unknown quantity at this point

@tpi2007 it will most likely just be Red Hat, An IBM Company.

Quote:Originally Posted by Clinic http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a benchmark thread...if you want pics go look on newegg. Thats what the cards look like. They didn't secretly send me orange ones.
Darkness
(17 items)
CPU
Motherboard
asus z97-ar
GPU
gigabyte 980 ti g1 gaming
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaw
Hard Drive
WD Black
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w Platinum
Case
Corsair 600T SE
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro 64Bit
Monitor
Ultrasharp 27"
Monitor
HP W2338H 23"
Keyboard
Black Widow Ultimate
Mouse
Zowie EC2
Mouse
Zowie (Pure exellence)
Audio
dt880
Audio
sound blaster recon3d
Audio
swan m10
▲ hide details ▲

post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Linux Noob
Beagle Box Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Microsoft has been pushing more and more into Linux the past couple of years, its quite possible Microsoft will buy Ubuntu and support it an an enterprise linux server OS. IBM and MS would be competing there. Microsoft knows they need some Linux support both to gain, and hold server marketshare.
This threatens Linux Mint.
If MS stays true to form, they'll buy Ubuntu and twist it into a linux component of a cross-platform One Windows™ model.
They'll develop linux versions of all their apps which will mysteriously work only on their distro.

I did Latty's Linux Challenge and I now run Linux!
The Beagle Box
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8086K
Motherboard
MSI Z370 Gaming M5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
RAM
G.Skill Flare X 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL14 Dual Channel
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB MLC V-NAND PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB MLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000P2 1000 Watt 80 Plus Platinum Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
Swiftech 220X2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Magnetic Levitation 120mm Case Fan
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation 120mm Case Fan
Case
Corsair Vengeance C70
Operating System
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Networking Nut
Xyxox Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Beagle Box View Post
This threatens Linux Mint.
If MS stays true to form, they'll buy Ubuntu and twist it into a linux component of a cross-platform One Windows™ model.
They'll develop linux versions of all their apps which will mysteriously work only on their distro.
Hence the reason for the existence of Linux Mint Debian Edition.

post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Linux Noob
Beagle Box Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
Hence the reason for the existence of Linux Mint Debian Edition.
Yep. They must have seen this coming.

I did Latty's Linux Challenge and I now run Linux!
The Beagle Box
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8086K
Motherboard
MSI Z370 Gaming M5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
RAM
G.Skill Flare X 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL14 Dual Channel
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB MLC V-NAND PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB MLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000P2 1000 Watt 80 Plus Platinum Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
Swiftech 220X2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Magnetic Levitation 120mm Case Fan
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation 120mm Case Fan
Case
Corsair Vengeance C70
Operating System
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:58 AM
Linux Evangelist
Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
There are two possible outcomes with MSpy opening up all those patents and licenses:
- Extension (the second phase of their EEE doctrine) with Extinction being the next
- Windows eventually becomes a proprietary Linux distro

They can't compete with Linux as it has a near 100% server and at least 90% mobile phone market share. The only place where Windows still dominates is the desktop but even there they can't eternally hold onto their market share and, I presume, are scared of losing the market to Linux. So either they desperately try to extinguish Linux or they adopt it and extinguishing Linux is already a failed strategy as they have been failing at it for decades.
Like I said earlier. Just this year we've seen massive corporate moves to begin locking down the big Linux players. Valve's moves with Proton now doesn't seem like a shot at Microsoft so much as all of the corporate overlords know something they aren't telling us. Microsoft had to have known that there was no way that it could lock down Linux, but an alliance of tech giants sure could.

Red Hat is the largest contributor to the kernel, except that IBM is now in control of Red Hat. Google is using the kernel to power Android which it has used to conquer the mobile space, and it sure looks to me like Azure is going to be the IoT OS, and should they decide to launch a desktop Linux distro they could just buy Canonical and use Ubuntu. And Valve has all the games.

Between them all, they actually can control the Linux ecosystem. Short term there is potential for good here. After all, what Valve has done for AMD's drivers and WNE in general they might decide to do for Pulse Audio or whatever solution to sorting out sound on Linux they decide. We don't know just how much IBM is going to strangle Red Hat yet, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a lot in the coming years. Long term? Long term those of us that spent all this time looking for an alternative to Microsoft just might have to find an alternative to Linux because there is no way these corporate c%$ksuckers don't ruin it.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:07 AM
New to Overclock.net
doritos93 is an unknown quantity at this point doritos93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Intel is the largest contributor to the kernel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in