[ZDNet] Dutch government report says Microsoft Office telemetry collection breaks GDPR - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ZDNet] Dutch government report says Microsoft Office telemetry collection breaks GDPR

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 865 (Unique: 492)
[ZDNet] Dutch government report says Microsoft Office telemetry collection breaks GDPR

Quote:
Investigators said they've identified the "large scale and covert collection of personal data" through Office's built-in telemetry collection capabilities. They said Microsoft engages in this telemetry collection covertly and without properly informing users.

The report said investigators didn't find any official documentation about what information Microsoft collects through Office and no way of turning Office telemetry off, raising a serious privacy concern for all current Office users, regardless of geographical location.

Investigators admitted that Microsoft collected functional and diagnostics data that is usually a standard practice among software developers, but they also found that Office applications also collected actual content from users' applications, such as email subject lines and sentences from documents where the company's translation or spellchecker tools were used.
Quote:
Further, the investigation also found that Office telemetry collection is also far more expansive than the one in Windows 10.

Investigators said that Microsoft collects up to 25,000 types of Office events, data which is made available to up to 30 engineering teams. In contrast, Windows 10 is known to collect up to 1,200 event types, data that is shared with up to only 10 engineering teams.
Quote:
Dutch investigators said they've already been in contact with Microsoft about their findings. According to the report, Microsoft has already rolled out a "zero exhaust" telemetry collection setting for Office users to address issues #1 and #2, from above. ZDNet was unable to identify this setting, at this moment, and is unclear if this option has been made available to all users, globally.
Source.

It appears to be serious enough for Microsoft to swiftly provide an option to apparently disable telemetry (if that is what "zero exhaust" actually means), something they were never willing to do for Windows 10 for more than three years now.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 11-18-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:40 PM
⎬⎛⎝⎠⎞⎨

Rep: 155 (Unique: 120)
Doesn't give a date of when will the update to disable telemetry be pushed out :|

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴ
FOR SALE / WTS : ThinkPad P70 / P71 batteries 78++, X1 Carbon Gen 6 ThinkShutter LCD Bezel Assembly
ThinkPad T430 XM
(9 items)
Desktop for gaming
(15 items)
CPU
i7 3920XM
Motherboard
Nozomi 4 Type 2344 BZU
GPU
Intel HD4000
RAM
F3-2133C11-8GSRL | 2x8GB 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
Lenovo 90W
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809
Monitor
AUO B140HAN01.3
Keyboard
Classic 7-row NMB 45N2211
CPU
i7 5820K
Motherboard
X99 Deluxe
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
Crucial 4x4GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 10TB
Optical Drive
Dell CH03N BD
Power Supply
EVGA 750 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH D-15
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809
Monitor
BenQ XL2430T
Monitor
ASUS PG279Q
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 82)
Big surprise when we find out that "zero exhaust" telemetry collection still collects way too much information.

Big Blue
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard
P8P67 DELUXE
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
RAM
G.Skill
Hard Drive
Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Power Supply
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT 775W
Cooling
SWIFTECH H20-320 EDGE HD APOGEE HD WATER BLOCK
Case
APEVIA X JUPITER S TYPE METALLIC BLUE
Operating System
WIN7 64bit
Monitor
ASUS VE258Q
Mouse
RAZER DEATHADDER 3500dpi
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Other
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB for OS
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Networking Nut

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
LibreOffice.

Problem solved.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:12 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 104 (Unique: 93)
Quote: Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
LibreOffice.

Problem solved.
I used it 90% of the time, but when a real office suite monkey at work hands me some really intense Excel sheet or something it'll have some functions Libre Office won't do.

I had a feeling there was some telemetry going on with Office, surprising since I have a legit Professional Plus 2016 license I paid out the rear for. Gonna be looking into this ASAP. It's getting ridiculous just how in your face MS is getting with their data collection especially off users who have paid in full for products.

Quote: Originally Posted by essanbee View Post
Big surprise when we find out that "zero exhaust" telemetry collection still collects way too much information.
That's a pretty common theme with MS. You can turn everything off, set every privacy ticker to ON, run powershell scripts that clean stuff out, block this or that, use group policy, edit the registry, use hosts files, use whatever anti-spying software you want. Windows 10 still leaks out information, it actively ignores certain MS owned entries to hosts files or settings in the OS.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 11-18-2018 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Source.

It appears to be serious enough for Microsoft to swiftly provide an option to apparently disable telemetry (if that is what "zero exhaust" actually means), something they were never willing to do for Windows 10 for more than three years now.
Personally, it sounds like a media beat up.

I'm all for privacy and don't use Chrome, Edge or other such browsers for that reason and i'm also highly critical of Windows 10 and its advertising ID and marketing tactics.

But in this case, it sounds to me it's not so much Microsoft 'spying on your emails' as simply the spell checker that's used in Outlook and Word (Thus emails and documents as mentioned in the article). This isn't a case of Microsoft having Office send the subject heads of your emails or names of your documents back to their servers to invade your privacy, but rather it's tied into spell check / auto correct and they want the data to further refine and improve the service and its behaviour for customers and tailor it to specific regions.

What next, Microsoft just remove all forms of spell check in Europe?

If this concerns people how exactly do they feel about gmail.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
Quote: Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
LibreOffice.

Problem solved.
Good luck with that. Even x64 variant of M$ Office breaks compatibility, let alone completely different programs.

Telemetry? What? Just block it in a firewall.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Good luck with that. Even x64 variant of M$ Office breaks compatibility, let alone completely different programs.

How are you going to differentiate legitimate IP packets going to out to say, Windows Update, from telemetry data?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 163 (Unique: 102)
What government or other important organization would use these products? They have to know that US intelligence agencies have totally infiltrated large US tech companies - either through official cooperation or rogue employees.

You think it's a coincidence that "telemetry" started popping up in a ton of programs, certain drivers, and Windows 10 and back ported to W7 right when the intelligence and LEA started complaining about full disk encryption and the general increase in encryption use. Any data, including metadata is gold. Have spellcheck turned on and accidentally typed a password in a wrong dialog box? Now there is a good chance M$ and their friends have your password to some encrypted files or user accounts.

How many attorney-client privileges were violated with their spell checker sending back full sentences or large parts of a whole legal document or email correspondence?

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by umeng2002; 11-18-2018 at 11:10 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:51 AM
Networking Nut

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
I used it 90% of the time, but when a real office suite monkey at work hands me some really intense Excel sheet or something it'll have some functions Libre Office won't do.

I had a feeling there was some telemetry going on with Office, surprising since I have a legit Professional Plus 2016 license I paid out the rear for. Gonna be looking into this ASAP. It's getting ridiculous just how in your face MS is getting with their data collection especially off users who have paid in full for products.
That will happen with the real users of the Office Suite. The vast majority of MS Office users do not even use 10% of the functionality built into the application suite making LibreOffice a fine alternative. BTW, most of those functions your real office suite monkey uses are also present in LibreOffice, but LibreOffice implements in adherence to the XML standards while Microsoft, as history has shown time and again, extends those standards in their proprietary formats.

This is because of the old Microsoft standard of not adhering to standards. The adage of "embrace and extend" has never gone away.

This will work in an Enterprise environment so long as all updates are handled via AD Group Policy and there are strictly adhered to policies and procedures to insure the security related updates are implemented in a timely fashion.. Otherwise you won't be able to distinguish between calls for updates and the telemetry data at the firewall,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in