[Guru3D] NVIDIA PhysX Engine Now is Open-Source - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Guru3D] NVIDIA PhysX Engine Now is Open-Source

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
They can't do that, it'd be humiliating... They won't do it, just to save face... If they let it go for free, they'd be admitting they were being the asholes that everyone accused them of being.

that's why they're releasing Physx now, when no one cares about, or just enough to complaint about those times when no one could use it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by christoph View Post
that's why they're releasing Physx now, when no one cares about, or just enough to complaint about those times when no one could use it...
I disagree. With the BSD-3 , they basically let the engines incorporate whatever they want from it. So, Nvidia is not gonna make any more money on it, only way people will know if it was even used was if they saw the comment in whatever library it was merged into. Also, at the same time, Havok could also incorporate some ideas and perhaps algorithms from this as well. Making it open source like this, is really nice of a company to do. They don't want to invest more resources into, and instead of throwing it away like most companies do, they are giving it to the community to build upon.

post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:27 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 764 (Unique: 443)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
The last game that I remember PhysX being a big deal was the first Batman Arkham game, and before that the first Mirror's Edge. Those are both close to ten years old.
you missed all the silliness of BL2 (6 years ago)?

Spoiler!

though it's been in TW3 DLCs and fallout4, yeah, that was the last time NV actively marketed physx in a game.

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
"The more you buy, the more you save." - Jensen Huang GTC 2018
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
I disagree. With the BSD-3 , they basically let the engines incorporate whatever they want from it. So, Nvidia is not gonna make any more money on it, only way people will know if it was even used was if they saw the comment in whatever library it was merged into. Also, at the same time, Havok could also incorporate some ideas and perhaps algorithms from this as well. Making it open source like this, is really nice of a company to do. They don't want to invest more resources into, and instead of throwing it away like most companies do, they are giving it to the community to build upon.
but that's exactly the point, Nvidia can't make money out of it anymore that's WHY is going open source, why you think Havok is use in every video game console and Windows as Linux as well

I'm not saying that it can't be put to good use but rather how and when is Physx is going open source, why don't they make G-sync open source?

post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post

though it's been in TW3 DLCs and fallout4, yeah, that was the last time NV actively marketed physx in a game.
I had absolutely ZERO idea there had been a controversy. I played Borderlands 1&2 years after release because my gaming group switched to it during a Steam sale. Honestly I wouldn't have cared if I had known. That game was all about a morbid sense of humor, not the visuals.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
but that's exactly the point, Nvidia can't make money out of it anymore that's WHY is going open source, why you think Havok is use in every video game console and Windows as Linux as well

I'm not saying that it can't be put to good use but rather how and when is Physx is going open source, why don't they make G-sync open source?
Every game made in Unreal Engine 3 and 4 and Unity use PhysX, it's baked into the engine and PhysX is the whole package, CPU physics, animation, accelerated hard and soft body simulation, particle simulation, fluids, etc. Nvidia still has a ton of money to make considering they have their product in the 2 most popular engines in the world but they're open sourcing it instead. It's better and bigger contribution than any of the broken junk other hardware companies have churned out and abandoned since it's just open source.

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by geoxile View Post
Every game made in Unreal Engine 3 and 4 and Unity use PhysX, it's baked into the engine and PhysX is the whole package, CPU physics, animation, accelerated hard and soft body simulation, particle simulation, fluids, etc. Nvidia still has a ton of money to make considering they have their product in the 2 most popular engines in the world but they're open sourcing it instead. It's better and bigger contribution than any of the broken junk other hardware companies have churned out and abandoned since it's just open source.

how many games that are worth mentioning have the Physx activated, the ones everybody's talking about?

post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 64)
how many games that are worth mentioning have the Physx activated, the ones everybody's talking about?
Killing Floor 2 could see better performance now with Flex enabled if Tripwire jumps on this.

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post

Nice one ! I played a ton of BL2 on Win/MAC with physx and it was great. I then switched to SteamOS, therefore BL2 without physx and I was like, WHAT ? Where have the visual gone ???
On this game, Physx was really THE visuals.

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 25)
Does this mean AMD can choose now to support Physx on their graphics cards, or no?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in