[G3D] Razer SoftMiner uses your GPU to mine cryptocurrency - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[G3D] Razer SoftMiner uses your GPU to mine cryptocurrency

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 27)
LMAO - haven't been on this site in months - just popped in to see what kind of horse crap AMD and Razer are junking up the supply chains with ... and was not disappointed.

10/10 would read again - this is why I took my one and only Razer product back to the store after 10 minutes of use - Amazon Basics > Razer junk (except to paid Youtuber promoters).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 AM
H₂O Aficionado

Rep: 117 (Unique: 94)
Is it odd that I am deeply happy to see the community come together to rip on Razer?

-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-

Stridsfordon 90
(20 items)
M1 Abrams
(18 items)
Asus G53
(0 items)
CPU
Intel 3930K
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
GTX 780 SC
RAM
Patriot Black Viper
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 SSD
Hard Drive
WD Black 7200 RPM
Power Supply
Corsair AX 850
Cooling
XSPC EX 360 Radiator
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Cooling
XSPC Titan/780 GPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 - Acetal
Cooling
XSPC D5 Pump
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
QNIX 27"
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Razer Death Adder 2013
Mousepad
Mouse Rug
Audio
Sennheiser HD 6XX
Audio
Bose Companion III's
CPU
i7 3930K
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
Geforce GTX 780 EVGA SC 3GB + XSPC Waterblock
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 840 Series 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II Night Hawk Edition
Cooling
XSPC 360mm radiator, Raystorm CPU block, D5 pump
Case
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green (Custom paint)
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
QNIX QX2710 27" 100hz
Monitor
Samsung 2233RZ 22" 120hz
Keyboard
Logitech g710+
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
Mouse
Mouse Rug
Audio
Bose Companion III's Speakers
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones
Audio
Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
So they released a completely optional program literally called SoftMiner without trying to sneak or hide anything and people are upset because?
I wouldn't want to be in business with any of you guys if you decided letting people choose to give us free money is a bad idea.
And no this isn't comparable to some form of predatory in-game microtransactions so you can stop right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 27)
Another thing to add on to the list of reasons you shouldn't buy Razer.

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 PM
High Clocker

Rep: 189 (Unique: 163)
Just to add insult to injury.
I had a nice bunch of rSilver that I had been building up since the alpha.
Guess what. They wiped it all and deemed it as expired just as I was about 2-3 week off having enough to get a new keyboard.

Now they have a daily cap and the rate of it expiring means that you wont be able to acturally get anything straight out other then using it for XX% off.
Its basically a scam.

SLI Voodoo 2 - > GeForce4 MX 420 -> GF 6600GT -> GF 6800GT -> GF 8800Ultra -> AMD 4870 -> AMD 4890 -> CF AMD 5820 -> CF AMD 6850 -> CF AMD 7970 -> SLI GF 680 -> SLI GF 780 -> CF AMD 290X -> GF 980ti -> SLI GF 980ti -> GF 1080ti -> SLI GF 1080ti -> <- RTX 2080ti (DOA/Refunded)
CPU
AMD 8120
CPU
FX 8350
GPU
7970 CFX
GPU
680 SLI
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by Avalar View Post
Another thing to add on to the list of reasons you shouldn't buy Razer.
Because you can choose to donate to them in the form of mining crypto?
I remember when I came to these forums because the people seemed smarter
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 102 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Yeah that's wild
Best update that host file
https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-...er-miners.html
Just checked that link I provided in that thread back in March and it's a dead end now. Here's the updated link:

https://gitlab.com/ZeroDot1/CoinBlockerLists/blob/master/hosts

Github was bought out Microsoft and it looks like they changed the root domain to gitlab.com from github.com. Guess I better check my Git clients as well. Haven't had a need to use them in a while.

Added: also updated that link in the referenced thread.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hunched View Post
Because you can choose to donate to them in the form of mining crypto?
I remember when I came to these forums because the people seemed smarter
It's the fact that they'd rather do stuff like that than fix the problems their products have. Mainly with their gaming mice, which have terrible QC. I once returned 3 DeathAdder Chromas to them, all dead-on-arrival or defective within days to weeks. Their customer service is questionable, and I've seen several cases of people's bad experiences with them, as did I; they tried to tell me it was somehow my fault. T_T That, and their software was always a RAM hog, and how some of their mice have no on-board memory, so they need the software open to have use of some or all of the features of the mouse. For the price, there's companies that make better mice, keyboards, laptops, etc.

Edit: That, and the fact that using their miner for hours a day on a regular basis would net you less "money" to buy their products than it costs you in electricity to run their software. Someone posted on their twitter that at the rates they're talking, it would take over a year to get enough for a keyboard, that is, if their currency didn't reset to 0 yearly. If they care about the consumer at all, they'd at least make it so you could earn a decent amount over time, but this is obviously just a ploy to get more and more money from unsuspecting customers.

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Avalar; 12-14-2018 at 01:01 AM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:33 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
Quote: Originally Posted by bking4266 View Post
Just to add, I was curious to try it. I know, I'm an idiot. In the two hours I've had it running, I haven't earned ANY silver at all. I'm using an EVGA RTX 2070 and R5 2600X. You'd think with them throwing that 500 silver/day number around, I'd have something by now. Then again, they do say "up to 500".

They mention "If you have the proper setup". Now, mining rigs usually have motherboards with seven PCIe slots and a GPU in each one of them, so what exactly is a proper setup to get "approximately 500 Razer Silver or more within a day"?

Is it one, two or seven RX 480's / Vega 56's / 2080 Ti's?

The fact that they didn't mention what kind of setup you actually need to mine 500 units is disingenuous to say the least.

Razer is the same company that sells premium mice that a few years ago 'couldn't afford' to put a few kilobytes of flash storage on board their mice to store profiles, instead forcing people to create an on-line account to activate their mice's premium functionality - yes, you read that right, the functions you bought the mouse for in the first place instead of any plug and play $10 basic mouse - because the profiles were primarily stored on the cloud (you could get an off-line option only after you registered on-line) - and of course, their software was always on-line and of course they took the opportunity to siphon data from your PC, as it's deemed 'normal' nowadays in this telemetry ridden dystopia (see link below). It was only after the consumer backlash that they provided an off-line profile storage option without having to create an on-line account and upload the profiles from the get-go.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...vers-down.html

So, I'm not surprised by this latest news.

Last edited by tpi2007; 12-14-2018 at 03:43 AM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:39 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Avalar View Post
It's the fact that they'd rather do stuff like that than fix the problems their products have. Mainly with their gaming mice, which have terrible QC. I once returned 3 DeathAdder Chromas to them, all dead-on-arrival or defective within days to weeks. Their customer service is questionable, and I've seen several cases of people's bad experiences with them, as did I; they tried to tell me it was somehow my fault. T_T That, and their software was always a RAM hog, and how some of their mice have no on-board memory, so they need the software open to have use of some or all of the features of the mouse. For the price, there's companies that make better mice, keyboards, laptops, etc.

Edit: That, and the fact that using their miner for hours a day on a regular basis would net you less "money" to buy their products than it costs you in electricity to run their software. Someone posted on their twitter that at the rates they're talking, it would take over a year to get enough for a keyboard, that is, if their currency didn't reset to 0 yearly. If they care about the consumer at all, they'd at least make it so you could earn a decent amount over time, but this is obviously just a ploy to get more and more money from unsuspecting customers.

I had a Naga a couple of years ago which died in about five months. Sensor on it completely gave up, so that went back to the retailer who 'upgraded' my purchase to a Mamba TE Chroma. This also died after a few months. It would completely stop responding until all buttons were pressed to force the device to reset. Again, back to the retailer. They confirmed that more than half of the Mamba's they had sold were being returned due to faults within six months of purchase.
They swapped it for a SteelSeries Rival 700 which has been absolutely faultless since (about fourteen months now).

The other issues here is that Razer have opted to add a crypto miner to their software. It may be optional, but is that a default install or do you have to actively go out of your way to include it? Most users just click Next>next>Next instead of customising their software before install.
And now that Razer have added a miner, how long before it or a basic version of it is installed without the users knowledge?

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in